Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Phantoms should be able to show in UKC, although not AKC.
Face and paws should have been getting shaved already, starting with a 10 blade and once used to it can go shorter (I like 15 but 30 or even 40 is good too). As far as the rest of the clip, you are only limited by how long of a grooming session he can tolerate, technically you could put him in a continental now. It might be hard to maintain during his coat change though.

·
Registered
533 Posts
It’s very hard to evaluate a puppy if they aren’t standing correctly. Your boy needs to have his front legs down under him and his rear legs further back. The first picture makes him look roach back because of leg placement so you can’t really tell topline. The tail set also doest look correct from this stack. From what I see of him laying down his ears are too high on his head. It’s cute but not correct. He has a white chin so he couldn’t show akc anyways (only ukc multi) . I’m not the best one to criticize a conformation as I’m learning and I try to be critical of my own girl . There are some things she could improve on also.

Phantoms can’t show akc but can ukc under multicolor. Grooming wise your phantoms jacket could be moved back as could the rosettes. Looks like the separation is too wide also.

Puppies shouldnt be in a conti because their hair is too soft and floppy to hold shape. It will just look a bit ridiculous . I started shaving feet and face and base of tail at 3 weeks. I use a 30 but she is used to it.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I don't know anything about UKC, so I'll only go from the AKC perspective. Firstly, you can't show a PAL registered dog in AKC conformation. Secondly, your dog, while not stacked properly, is most definitely not show quality; in fact, he has quite a number of glaring conformation faults. Mel is correct about his ears and topline. Also, his tail is set way too low and coat is not of good quality, just to name a couple of very obvious points. However, he is an absolutely adorable PET dog. My Maltese also has many conformation faults, but it doesn't detract from the precious, loving pet dog she is.

·
Registered
533 Posts
If you can’t get full akc papers it’s doubtful you could do ukc either. You need to have the full registration. UKC tends be a more friendly setting and you don’t have to worry about spraying up. They evaluate the dog not the hair cut. Some AKC people show both they just enter in UKC with floppy hair since no hair spray allowed.

I hope I didn’t sound too harsh . He is cute.

If you want to be active in showing look into agility and obedience. You can meet other poodle people there and learn a lot that way . I sound kinda funny..a beginner telling someone how to be involved ?. I read a lot . With January just around the corner your local kennel club will be starting their obedience classes soon. Nova is the same age as your pup and she and I will be going into basic obedience and handling. We did the puppy obedience last session.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts