Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jan and I have rescued a 3 year old Toy Poodle (female) and have decided - very quickly - that she is now our Forever dog. We both have had dog family members before - from Labradors to Pyrenean Mountain Dogs (including German Shepards).
It became very obvious that 'Penny' hadn't had any life outside her cage - doesn't know how to play even - we had to teach her how to chew. She had some hip surgery done at 14 months old - we've yet to get the records to find out full details - and has had two teeth removed along the way. At rescue she weighed 1.2kgs - 8 weeks later we had her up to 2.2kgs (Finally fully groomed with full face shave - eye irritant problem from fur) and looking heaps better. She has completely bonded with Jan so has her as her security safe pack member. (I'm being patient......)
1st thing we need to know is why ( I feed her every morning ) she has recently taken to bringing one piece of her chopped up food, back inside to me and dropped it on the floor at my feed and backed off a couple of steps - with an alert expression - and looks straight at me. (NB: We have yet to bond fully as she seems a little 'put off' by the resident male. Something else we're trying to get the history of.)

So - what's she trying to tell me????

Thanks for reading all of this - greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
14,443 Posts
Such a lucky little dog to have found you - it is obvious that a life of comfort and love and happiness is now ahead of her. And I am going to be outrageously and unapologetically anthropomorphic and see the presentation of food as a gesture of thanks and affection. If she was a breeding dog could it be behaviour she learned from raising her pups, probably the only moments of companionship and affection that she knew? I would accept the offering with thanks, and then offer it back to her or offer a toy or cuddle, or all three.

Do stay around and keep us posted on her progress.

·
Premium Member
6,062 Posts
I thought something similar. She's offering to share. Return it with abundance :)

Well done all three of you! What's your little toy lovies name?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I'm not sure about the behavior, but I just wanted to thank you for rescuing her! Would love to see pictures if you are able to upload some! :)

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
1st thing we need to know is why ( I feed her every morning ) she has recently taken to bringing one piece of her chopped up food, back inside to me and dropped it on the floor at my feed and backed off a couple of steps - with an alert expression - and looks straight at me.
She is a very cute girl ! As for the behavior, I have a feeling she wants you to throw the kibbles to her as a play / eating game. Some dogs like that. One of mine does like me to feed him this way in the morning. I slide the kibble on the floor and he eats it. One at a time.

·
Registered
Luca red tpoo and Matteo blue Spoo
304 Posts
I agree on the suggestions. She is lucky to have found a forever home with you and Jan. Hope you will have bundles of joy.. she has a beautiful face

·
Premium Member
Elroy: Standard Poodle 02/20/21
2,830 Posts
I would guess it's just her way of saying Thank You! Congratulations on your new fur baby!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
A pic of her recently

And, hopefully, a video link of her bonding with Jan

Dog Water dog Carnivore Dog breed Mammal

We are trying to pick a time of day to deal with the 'sap' from her eyes as she's not keen about it and we wish not to trouble her during quality times. We'll get there.

Now off to try the feed game as mentioned here. Thanks Dechi

·
Administrator
12,843 Posts
Cutie pie! Maybe she was taught to trade with humans. Peggy will often bring me items to trade for better stuff. :LOL:

As for eye gunk.... Keeping the hair around the eyes shaved short is a big help. You also want to make sure she doesn’t have any allergies. But for daily maintenance (and this is going to sound mighty gross!) we use clean fingers to swipe away any goop or crusties, and then Peggy gets to lick them off.

We do this multiple times a day.

I was so embarrassed to admit that on Poodle Forum, but others chimed in to say they do the same! Poodles like to be rewarded fairly, and apparently eating disgusting things is a fair reward for eye cleaning. They also like to be involved as much as possible, so this approach kills two birds with one stone.

·
Registered
Tyler
90 Posts
Cutie pie! Maybe she was taught to trade with humans. Peggy will often bring me items to trade for better stuff. :LOL:

As for eye gunk.... Keeping the hair around the eyes shaved short is a big help. You also want to make sure she doesn’t have any allergies. But for daily maintenance (and this is going to sound mighty gross!) we use clean fingers to swipe away any goop or crusties, and then Peggy gets to lick them off.

We do this multiple times a day.

I was so embarrassed to admit that on Poodle Forum, but others chimed in to say they do the same! Poodles like to be rewarded fairly, and apparently eating disgusting things is a fair reward for eye cleaning. They also like to be involved as much as possible, so this approach kills two birds with one stone.
I taught my vet this when he asked me how I kept my Spoos' eyes so clean. He does it almost automatically now with all kinds of dogs.

Somewhere in our prior lives we must have been poodle mamas. 😘

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
She is so darling and lucky to have found a wonderful home with you! I am sure she will come around to loving you both in her own way/time. She may just need to adjust to male mannerisms if she hasn't been around men as much.

·
Registered
Luca red tpoo and Matteo blue Spoo
304 Posts
I love the video. She looks so happy. She knows she is saved and is absolutely paying back with love

1 - 20 of 21 Posts