Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! This is my first time posting and I hope to hear some stories or any advice 馃挍

Lou, my toy poodle, is currently 6 years old and was recently diagnosed with IMT (immune mediated thrombocytopenia). He's been getting his monthly bloodwork and his platelets have recovered and stable at this point while on steroids.

Unfortunately, he got his lab results back today and his amylase is 2,836 & pancreas specific lipase (PSL) is 6,077. I am so concerned for my Lou. I was recommended by the vet to change his diet for the next 3 weeks to lean chicken & rice.

I'm having a hard time finding stories of other poodles in this particular situation. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks for listening.

Registered
Until the help or advice arrives, we'll have support to offer.

Super Moderator
Poor Lou. (And you as well!) If you run a search for pancreatitis here you will find many old threads about it. Not everyone who posted is still active here, but it seems that several were able to stabilize their situations with strict diet control.

Registered
My 1 year old Terrier was diagnosed with IMT in June. Pancreatitis is fairly common side effect of the medications. There is a very helpful group on Facebook where you can find support, information and help. It is open to all dog breeds but there are a few poodles.
Immune Mediated Thrombocytopenia Canine Immune Disorders

Reactions: cowpony and Dechi

Registered
Computer glitch caused duplicate post

Registered
My tpoo had it for many years and lived till she was 20. She lived many years symptom free with a home cooked diet. Following my vets recommendation I ground up chicken meat (no skin, no fat) potatoes, carrots and peas. We had a supplement for calcium etc.

This was before the proliferation of special dog foods. There were no commercial or prescription foods at that time so I had to home cook all her meals. One time I was lazy and fed her commercial dog food and she had another attack so it was clear her home cooked food kept her healthy and happy.

My dog was otherwise healthy so I can鈥檛 comment on IMT. I hope a special diet can stabilize Lou鈥檚 pancreatitis. It鈥檚 awful to watch a dog suffering from pancreatitis.

Reactions: Dechi

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Wow! I am so thankful for all your supportive comments. I'm truly so appreciative for the responses. Just hearing your experiences and stories is so helpful in giving me hope for Lou and a healthy life! I have a lot of research and scrolling through this forum to do :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
My 1 year old Terrier was diagnosed with IMT in June. Pancreatitis is fairly common side effect of the medications. There is a very helpful group on Facebook where you can find support, information and help. It is open to all dog breeds but there are a few poodles.
Immune Mediated Thrombocytopenia Canine Immune Disorders
This is a great resource! Will be joining ASAP to see if others have been in the same situation. Thank you!

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
My tpoo had it for many years and lived till she was 20. She lived many years symptom free with a home cooked diet. Following my vets recommendation I ground up chicken meat (no skin, no fat) potatoes, carrots and peas. We had a supplement for calcium etc.

This was before the proliferation of special dog foods. There were no commercial or prescription foods at that time so I had to home cook all her meals. One time I was lazy and fed her commercial dog food and she had another attack so it was clear her home cooked food kept her healthy and happy.

My dog was otherwise healthy so I can鈥檛 comment on IMT. I hope a special diet can stabilize Lou鈥檚 pancreatitis. It鈥檚 awful to watch a dog suffering from pancreatitis.
Yes, I'm hoping for the same - a change in diet will help him get him levels back to normal. I will have to find out more about pancreatitis & specific diets.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts