Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a beautiful little 8yr old toy Poodle, Gracie. Since we first got her from a reputable breeder here in South Australia she has been highly prone to diarrhoea and haemorrhagic gastroenteritis.
Her gut sensitivity has been extreme the moment she ingests the smallest amount of any new food or treat. If she is not actively bleeding I treat her with an anti fungal antibiotic and/or steroid for a few days. This stops it from progressing to bleeding.
She is doing well on a chicken dry kibble for small breed dogs that we have in our supermarkets over here, mixed with a small amount of good quality wet food to make it more interesting.
Mucousy diarrhoea starts the moment I deviate from this or if she should become stressed for any reason. She is otherwise healthy and happy
My question is: I'm wondering if it is a common toy poodle issue?, a breeding issue? or have I missed something? Thank you.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
I don’t think it’s a toy poodle issue per se. Did you have her tested for food intolerances/allergies ? Have you tried a strict elimination diet ? That’s what I’m going through with my toy at the moment. She’s had tummy issues (and others) since she was a baby. She’s now 3 and I have decided to get to the bottom of it. Even though it’s not life threatening, it brings a lot of discomfort.

We we’ll be seeing a derm vet in october. We’ve seen our regular vet to rule out what we possibly could. She’s on a strict hydrolyzed diet until we see the derm vet. Those are standard steps to take if you think your dog has food allergies. It takes a lot of time and patience to solve but it’s worth it. There are facebook groups specifically for dogs with allergies that can help you with the process.

·
Registered
306 Posts
One of my foster rescues threw up everything he ate. I don't know how he managed to be fat, but he was. I switched him to raw, nothing but raw meaty bones. He never had a problem. Well, not too many people want a dog that has to eat raw, so I tried a high grade kibble with probiotics. That also worked well. I sent him to his new home with a jar of kefir, as that worked and is self sustaining.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don’t think it’s a toy poodle issue per se. Did you have her tested for food intolerances/allergies ? Have you tried a strict elimination diet ? That’s what I’m going through with my toy at the moment. She’s had tummy issues (and others) since she was a baby. She’s now 3 and I have decided to get to the bottom of it. Even though it’s not life threatening, it brings a lot of discomfort.

We we’ll be seeing a derm vet in october. We’ve seen our regular vet to rule out what we possibly could. She’s on a strict hydrolyzed diet until we see the derm vet. Those are standard steps to take if you think your dog has food allergies. It takes a lot of time and patience to solve but it’s worth it. There are facebook groups specifically for dogs with allergies that can help you with the process.
Thank you for your reply, I have found a food combination that doesn't usually cause problems.However, out of the blue, with no obvious cause she gets diarrhea which sometimes progress to HGE. Again , I appreciate your advice:).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One of my foster rescues threw up everything he ate. I don't know how he managed to be fat, but he was. I switched him to raw, nothing but raw meaty bones. He never had a problem. Well, not too many people want a dog that has to eat raw, so I tried a high grade kibble with probiotics. That also worked well. I sent him to his new home with a jar of kefir, as that worked and is self sustaining.
Thanks for your reply. I think the Kefir is worth a go. I tried Gracie on bones (even scrapped every bit of marrow/fat out), she still got HGE. Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts