Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Dior The Illest Na Na, Phoebe The Baddest Broad
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, so I recently purchased a Toy Poodle puppy from PremierPups and Phoebe had a sister with an inguinal hernia and her brother had a testicle that didn't descend they mad sure to make the buyers aware but Phoebe was all good but seeing as her litter mates were not in the greatest shape is there any health problems to look out for in the toy poodle lines? We do plan to get her DNA tested like we did w/ our oldest poodle Dior w/ Embark.

Premium Member
Luxating Patellas, Progressive Retinal Atrophy, Legges Perth are some biggies. As well as I.V.D.D.

Registered
Hernias and undescended testicles are not indicative of poor breeding in toy dogs. What you DO want to see is evidence that the parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents were tested and found clear of genetic diseases. The genetic diseases that toy poodles should be tested for are:
  • DNA Test for prcd-Progressive Retinal Atrophy (PRA)from an OFA-approved laboratory.
  • Yearly Eye Exam by a boarded ACVO veterinary ophthalmologist.
  • Patellar Luxation: OFA Evaluation.
Many good breeders test for other conditions as well - the ones above are a minimum.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hernias and undescended testicles are not indicative of poor breeding in toy dogs. What you DO want to see is evidence that the parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents were tested and found clear of genetic diseases. The genetic diseases that toy poodles should be tested for are:
  • DNA Test for prcd-Progressive Retinal Atrophy (PRA)from an OFA-approved laboratory.
  • Yearly Eye Exam by a boarded ACVO veterinary ophthalmologist.
  • Patellar Luxation: OFA Evaluation.
Many good breeders test for other conditions as well - the ones above are a minimum.
The problem is I got her from Premierpups website and they shipped her to me and I'm pretty sure I won't be able to see her parents. I'll definitely get an embark DNA test done I think that's my best option

Registered
The problem is I got her from Premierpups website and they shipped her to me and I'm pretty sure I won't be able to see her parents. I'll definitely get an embark DNA test done I think that's my best option
Hmm... they seem to be a broker, buying and reselling puppies of lots of different breeds, or else acting as a consigner for breeders. Not a place I would go for a pup, but water under the bridge now.

Her registration paperwork (AKC, UKC, Continental KC, whatever) will have the names of her sire and dam, and should also include a pedigree with her grandparents, great-grandparents, etc., and you can look them up on the OFA website yourself. https://www.ofa.org/ IT should also list her breeder, and you could try contacting them, but that would be a lot harder. Honestly though, from the quick peek I took of the PremierPups website, I would be surprised to see any health testing results on the breeding dogs.

Registered
I doubt you will get any satisfaction from Premier Pups. They appear to be a puppy mill in Ohio. I'm so sorry your puppy has health problems. I hope others read this and realize that buying a dog online is almost always a very, very bad idea. Buying a puppy from anyone who does not do genetic testing for health issues (and provides proof of that testing) is also a very bad idea.

The vast majority of dogs sold in pet stores are from disreputable breeders in the Midwest. If you want a dog, your first step should be to locate a kennel club in your area and ask for assistance in finding a good dog breeder.

Registered
Hmm... they seem to be a broker, buying and reselling puppies of lots of different breeds, or else acting as a consigner for breeders. Not a place I would go for a pup, but water under the bridge now.

Her registration paperwork (AKC, UKC, Continental KC, whatever) will have the names of her sire and dam, and should also include a pedigree with her grandparents, great-grandparents, etc., and you can look them up on the OFA website yourself. Orthopedic Foundation for Animals - Companion Animal Research Center IT should also list her breeder, and you could try contacting them, but that would be a lot harder. Honestly though, from the quick peek I took of the PremierPups website, I would be surprised to see any health testing results on the breeding dogs.
I agree, Team Hellhound. And I might add that it is very likely that the registration paperwork is very likely bogus.

Registered
At this point, if you already have the puppy the only thing you can do is work closely with your chosen vet to keep an eye on the pup's current health. Get whatever testing done that the vet recommends, and over time test for hereditary conditions that others have already mentioned.

And yes, there are health issues that can be hereditary - reputable breeders test for these prior to breeding.

Don't be surprised if issues arise over time. It's possible your puppy may never have problems but it's also possible that they inherit a joint disorder, eye problems, or something along those lines. It's a hit or miss kind of thing in puppies with no health testing in their background. Invest in a good pet health insurance plan to cover future expenses and enjoy your puppy in the mean time.

In the future, do some digging when you find websites like this that sound too good to be true. Their website looks pretty and they sound nice, they look like a legit "business" with "staff profiles", they offer financing and shipping, and have the words "vet check" and "health guarantee" - but there are a ton of red flags (again, at least IMO) that would have warned me away. Lack of breeder information, lack of parent dog information, the sale of 10+ breeds and all cross breeds imaginable.... the health guarantee itself (you have to be a member of their chosen vet care and general care app which also happens to require monthly payment, you have to have their chosen pet insurance, full coverage of some things only good for 30 days, etc).

It's an obvious mill or broker, at least to me, but the fancy website creates a smokescreen to distract you from that. Pet stores do the same thing.

Good luck with your puppy!

Registered
For a pup of unknown lineage, I would for sure consider enrolling in pet insurance if there is any question of affording vet care. It's a good idea for any dog (if you don't have extensive personal funds) but more so when you do not know the likelihood of the dog needing patella surgery or other very expensive procedures.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I doubt you will get any satisfaction from Premier Pups. They appear to be a puppy mill in Ohio. I'm so sorry your puppy has health problems. I hope others read this and realize that buying a dog online is almost always a very, very bad idea. Buying a puppy from anyone who does not do genetic testing for health issues (and provides proof of that testing) is also a very bad idea.

The vast majority of dogs sold in pet stores are from disreputable breeders in the Midwest. If you want a dog, your first step should be to locate a kennel club in your area and ask for assistance in finding a good dog breeder.
my puppy had her first vet appointment yesterday, she is actually very healthy just very tiny. But I do agree what worries me is that there is no history behind her so any problem could arise.

Registered
I agree this is a puppy mill, not a breeder. @Raindrops gave you great advice : get some insurance for your dog ASAP, before any health condition arises. It will save you money and heartaches.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts