Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please can someone answer this question...

I am looking for a toy poodle pup. Some I see for sale have short nose hair and others have long nose hair like a teddy bear.
I'm confused...the toy poodle pups I see with short nose hair...does that mean that the hair has been cut short or were they born short and will stay short.
Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
Poodle hair grows long all over their bodies. Traditionally it is shaved on the face, feet and at the base of the tail, and trimmed into various shapes on the rest of the body. In some countries - notably Japan - a fuzzier, teddy bear look is preferred. Whatever your preference all poodles need regular brushing, combing and trimming to keep the coat from matting, and it is highly recommended that puppies have their faces and feet shaved regularly to get them used to the process as early as possible. If you are buying a pup in the UK it should have had at least one grooming while still with the breeder, and preferably more. I tend to feel that puppies with fuzzy, ungroomed faces are a sign of a less than knowledgeable breeder...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. I prefer the longer nose hair. At least now I know that pups with short hair will grow to have long face hair.
I have a cockapoo so I know they have a lot of grooming needs. My cockapoo looks just like a toy poodle and is 75% poodle. I just prefer them with the long nose hair than cut real short. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
Nothing wrong with a fuzzy face if you prefer that look - it is just that if pups don't get used to being trimmed while they are young it can be harder to accustom them to it later, so the more grooming the breeder does the easier your life will be later on!

Reactions: lily cd re

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I'm going to second fjm on the grooming training to initially be more important than keeping the fuzzy look. Whether you ever change your mind about grooming to a clean poodle face, for your pup's sake, and for anyone who will ever be doing the grooming, help them all by getting the pup used to grooming before it becomes difficult for everyone. There may be times when the face would have to be shaved and you might even have to sedate the pup to get it done.

Mine are minis. One looks ok with a fuzz face, one doesn't. Neo is a doesn't.

The breeder we got them from didn't do any preliminary grooming at all and now at nearly three years, I've had to take on the grooming myself since they were too much of a nightmare for a groomer.

Breeders who are committed to the best start in life for the pups they breed will do these things. It's part of socialization, getting them used to all kinds of everyday and necessary things.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got my cockapoo pup at 10 weeks and started taking her the groomers at 14 weeks and shes fine with going to be cut. Never had a problem with her going there and her first experience was at 14 weeks. Obviously now she goes every 8 weeks.
Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
23,161 Posts
One pup/dog may be fine with not being groomed in their first weeks with their breeder and others may turn out to be horribly difficult to be groomed. I am still very happy at Javelin's approach to his fifth birthday is rising on my horizon for his breeder;s great attnetion to helping him to be a good grooming client.

You may also find it useful to look at this thread. Teaching grooming behavior to puppies

1 - 7 of 7 Posts