Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I'm totally new to all of this. Never had a dog before. I would love some advice on good grooming tips for my dog. I live in Arkansas so need cut suggestions for the different seasons here. Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
I groom mine as to what looks the best. 2 I shave down with pompom on tail and feet and one who had babies I keep in a cut so she looks like she has a jacke on, as her rib cage is wider and do not like her shaved with a 4 or 7 like the other 2. Short is much easeir to handle

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
First off you need the proper 'tools' and that starts with a pin brush, a slicker brush and a metal comb. If you intend to do your own clipping, buy the best clippers you can afford! ( lots of old threads on rec for grooming equip here!) Grooming schedule will depend a lot on the length of her coat.....longer hair is an everyday job, short clips less often if ears and tail are also kept short, I would at first take her to a groomer and take a picture with you of what you want her to look like, or you might end up with a shaved down poodle! (Before you take her, question the groomers and ask them if they are experienced with poodle clips) A good groomer will help you learn how to brush properly too, if you ask them to show you how!

I also have to rec you buy the book 'Poodle Clipping and Grooming: The International Reference' by Shirlee Kalstone. It is an older book but is considered the bible of poodle grooming and has everything you need to know about caring for the poodle coat!
Also YouTube has lots and lots of poodle grooming videos you can learn from!!!

GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
12,248 Posts
I think there are several things to consider when choosing a clip - first and foremost what kind of life you lead. People do manage to keep poodles in long, perfect show trims while also taking them for frequent hikes, romps on the beach, and other outdoor stuff, but it is hard work (Poppy has just come in after five minutes in the garden smothered in tiny grass seeds and cleaver seeds - fortunately she is cut short!). Then think about how much time, effort and money you are able to invest - the longer the coat the more work it takes. Temperature and weather are a consideration of course, and finally aesthetics, including whether your dog has any minor conformation faults you want to disguise.

I keep Poppy in a fairly basic utility cut - she has a very soft coat so ankle pompoms don't work. I cut her down to 1/4-1/2" on her body, slightly longer on her legs, a shortish topknot and tail pom, and shaved face, feet and tail root (not too short, as apricots are prone to razor burn).

I highly recommend the Shirlee Kalstone book - not the prettiest pictures but packed with really helpful methods and guidance.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for all the great info. I asked for a summer cut when I took her before coming home with her. She just had pups pulled off her on the 1st and she was a hot mess Haha she was cut very very short. I can almost see her skin but I kept pom on top of head and ears. I have a groomer here at home I plan on using doe her. We have horses and I spend alot of time inside. But it also gets very cold down here. Do cloths and jackets help them any? If i keep her long in the winter I'm afraid she might matte up on me and I dont want that for her

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Considering she will be living 'country style' the short clip is good! DO brush her ears and topknot often though, and keep the bottoms of her feet clipped so she doesn't slip (and toenails too!) . If your climate is cold in the winter sweaters and shirts are good and if you go out in the snow to play there are cute cute snowsuit and doggy coats too!

P.S. You mention she had recently whelped but I notice also that she is VERY overweight and that is definitely not healthy. Please try to get those extra lbs off. so that she may have a long healthy life! You can do this gradually just bt reducing her food but 10% and increasing her physical activity! Good Luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts