Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shrek doesnt seem to like toys anymore. After getting living with two other dogs for two years, he lost interest over time. I can get him to play with toys outside for the life of me. All he wants to do is eat tons of grass and hunt bugs (problematic since we have a lot of bees) in that order. The only time he is interested in toys is inside when the other two dogs are playing with toys but since they are all boys, all he wants to do is steal a toy and sit somewhere high with it and guard it.

Why doesnt he like toys? The ONLY toys Shrek likes are cloth toys but the only reason he plays with them is to tear all the fabric off and eat it no matter how tough a toy which is bad. Id give him bones but he's aggressive and guarding over them so my only solution is one greenie a day to occupy him and taking him out on my bike.

Is there anything I can do? Is it a behavior issue? Id love to fix this as Im about to have a baby. He is very nice towards children, never been aggressive with other dogs/humans ever but his problem is that he is clingy beyond belief so I would like to be able to have him enjoy other activities besides me.

·
Super Moderator
5,172 Posts
How old is he? My mini girl Gracie lost interest in toys as she got older, and then we discovered these balls and it was like she found her inner puppy again:

But.....someone had to throw them for her until she was too pooped to run anymore, and then she would flop down and just squeak the ball incessantly.

Most dog toys seems to require some human involvement for them to remain interesting. And I don't know many dogs that are good at exercising themselves. But you could try toys that will tire him out quickly, like a flirt pole. That might trigger his prey drive, since you mentioned he likes chasing bugs.

And then, once he's good and tired, it's quiet time.

Does Shrek have a place to go to? A mat or bed or crate? Or even an indoor exercise pen? Just somewhere he knows is his place to settle. If not, maybe that's something to work on. Pick an out of the way place where he can still observe the day's action, where he can chew on a yummy stuffed Kong and know that he won't be disturbed. You can start out by tethering him there (supervised) until he learns what's expected of him.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
My dogs (two toy poodles) very rarely play with toys. Merlin is 6 and and Beckie 3. Beckie likes the squeeky teddy bear type toy. I buy her a new one once in a while. She destroys it and loses interest once she’s removed the stuffing. Merlin will play 3 minutes once a week.

Besides Boston terriers, most of my toy dogs were not very fond of toys. I wouldn’t worry about it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts