Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The toy poodle will not eat a thing or drink water when taken outside. Sometimes, the dog is taken outside for the whole day and still won't eat anything or drink water. It is obvious that the dog is nervous and anxious outside and especially so during car rides. The dog is usually taken to parks and we spend the whole day outside. When the dog gets back home in the evening, she starts eating her food like crazy and drinks water like crazy. Obviously, she's very comfortable being back at home. What could be wrong with the toy poodle or is this normal behavior?

·
Premium Member
23,797 Posts
Focusing on eating and drinking require a dog to let their guard down and since you say "the" dog seems anxious when out I am not surprised she doesn't feel like eating or drinking while out and about. How old is your dog? Could you be overwhelming her with the length of these outings? Dogs do generally like to have nap times during the day.

·
Premium Member
12,897 Posts
I agree - it sounds like anxiety. Stressed dogs won't eat, not even treats. Is there a reason for keeping her out all day when it worries her so? I would look at short, happy trips to build up her confidence, perhaps involving a qualified behaviourist or a reward-focussed trainer if you possibly can.

Reactions: lily cd re

·
Registered
7,276 Posts
Whose dog is it ? Why do you call it « the dog » ? Do you feel a bond with your dog, if its yours ?

Anxious dogs don’t eat (or drink) when stressed out.

·
Premium Member
3,380 Posts
Please understand that we are sort of shooting in the dark here. You have posted several questions thru several forums, some related, some not, and not everyone reads thru every forum, so this is as if we are reading a book with chapters which are all out of order.

If you don't mind clarifying a few things, please?

How old is this poodle, is it a boy or girl, and what is it's name?

Is the legal owner (the one with names on any legal records) the same person as the primary caregiver (the person who feeds, grooms, takes the poodle to the vet), and, who loves this poodle?

Is there more than one person involved and do they agree on how the poodle is to be looked after?

I can tell that you care because you are asking all the questions.

Was the poodle brought to it's new home at a young age, directly from it's mother, and how old was it then? Has the poodle had more than one owner?

Specifically about not eating or drinking while out, is the poodle on leash or off leash, is the poodle being chased by other dogs when out or sitting quietly with whoever they are out with? Are these the poodles first trips outside for any duration or is this something that started recently?

I know these are a lot of questions, and truthfully I have more, but if you could help us see more of the poodles life in general, then the specific questions have a background to see them in.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Please understand that we are sort of shooting in the dark here. You have posted several questions thru several forums, some related, some not, and not everyone reads thru every forum, so this is as if we are reading a book with chapters which are all out of order.

If you don't mind clarifying a few things, please?

How old is this poodle, is it a boy or girl, and what is it's name?

Is the legal owner (the one with names on any legal records) the same person as the primary caregiver (the person who feeds, grooms, takes the poodle to the vet), and, who loves this poodle?

Is there more than one person involved and do they agree on how the poodle is to be looked after?

I can tell that you care because you are asking all the questions.

Was the poodle brought to it's new home at a young age, directly from it's mother, and how old was it then? Has the poodle had more than one owner?

Specifically about not eating or drinking while out, is the poodle on leash or off leash, is the poodle being chased by other dogs when out or sitting quietly with whoever they are out with? Are these the poodles first trips outside for any duration or is this something that started recently?

I know these are a lot of questions, and truthfully I have more, but if you could help us see more of the poodles life in general, then the specific questions have a background to see them in.
It took me sometime to figure things out but just to let you know, it is not my toy poodle. All the issues with the dog is because of the owner. The owner is neglectful and abusive but thinks she is the most perfect toy poodle owner. I no longer speak to her and I no longer associate with her.

·
Premium Member
23,797 Posts
It took me sometime to figure things out but just to let you know, it is not my toy poodle. All the issues with the dog is because of the owner. The owner is neglectful and abusive but thinks she is the most perfect toy poodle owner. I no longer speak to her and I no longer associate with her.

That sounds pretty sad for the dog then. Are you still taking the dog for outings then?

·
Premium Member
3,380 Posts
I'm so sorry for all of you. It's hard enough when two human beings who can at least communicate with each other don't see eye to eye, but when an innocent, whether child or pet, is in the mix and they can't speak for themselves...

I know you've been trying to help this little poodle. Maybe some of what you've been trying to do to help will sink in with the owner. I'm sure you don't want to escalate matters between you humans so I'll say this much. If you have reason to believe the poodle's health or well being are in danger most states have laws that allow Animal Control officers to do an anonymous check on the dog. For a poodle that includes proper grooming so that matting doesn't develop.

I had cause recently to do just that when temps were well under freezing here and a backyard neighbors dog was left out for several hours, apparently without any shelter. Animal Control pulled up to the house just as the owners arrived at home. They explained to the homeowners that a neighbor had called with concern for the dog and that there are laws in place requiring shelter and drinkable water in extreme temperature situations. My situation was a little different because they really couldn't know which of their neighbors called.

It may still be worth a call to Animal Control to get your concerns on record if they'll allow that anonymously.

Let us know if you have more questions, please, and thank you for trying to help the helpless.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts