Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, after a year of lurking on the forum, reading and wishing, we are ready to bring home a toy poodle. Thanks to Corona travel restrictions, we have extra time to devote to a puppy this spring :) Any recommendations for wonderful toy breeders within a five hour drive from NYC area who do all the health testing, and don't dock tails? We would love a puppy, but are also happy to take on a young poodle that needs rehoming.
Thanks for any recommendations!

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Consider buying a puppy from Canada. Some or all Canadian provinces have laws banning tail docking.

Reactions: Dogs4Life

·
Registered
25 Posts
The breeder I got my puppy from normally docks tails. When she told me she was expecting puppies I committed to a male as long as it's tail was un docked and it's dewclaws were left. I love the look of the undocked tail and I feel better having made that choice for my boy.

·
Registered
397 Posts
You will need to find a breeder who does not dock period if that is what you want which will require a bit more investigation on your part. I've seen any number of people try to get the breeder to leave the tail on "their puppy" but the issue with that is that responsible breeders don't let you pick your own puppy. They do temperament testing at about 7 weeks and select the best puppy for the new owners' needs based on the result of the testing and the breeder having raised the litter and been constantly around them to observe the litter and their behaviors. Accordingly, there is no way you can know which puppy is "yours" at several days old when tails are docked.

Reactions: Artsifrtsy

·
Registered
25 Posts
You make a great point. I lucked out - I knew my breeder and I let her make the call. She chose the smallest male (who is now the largest from his litter). He also has a white spot on his chest. I had no intent to show him, I just wanted a great pet. I love his tail - everyone comments about how beautiful a poodle is with the tail. Of course I am biased :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts