Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rescued my little 13 yo Silver Poodle, who is now more gray than silver. Trying to figure out if she is a Toy or a Mini.

Her front legs from floor to top of shoulder are about 10-1/2" and she weighs 11 pounds, but I think a bit of that weight is weight she needs to lose.

I'm thinking she is a Toy. There is a true Mini next door and she is HUGE compared to GiGy. How to you folks define Toy and Mini?

p.s. GiGy is my first Poodle.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
In the US the breed standard for poodle variety (size) is

Size, Proportion, Substance: Size -
The Standard Poodle is over 15 inches at the highest point of the shoulders.
Any Poodle which is 15 inches or less in height shall be disqualified from competition as a Standard Poodle.

The Miniature Poodle is 15 inches or under at the highest point of the shoulders, with a minimum height in excess of 10 inches.
Any Poodle which is over 15 inches or is 10 inches or less at the highest point of the shoulders shall be disqualified from competition as a Miniature Poodle.

The Toy Poodle is 10 inches or under at the highest point of the shoulders.
Any Poodle which is more than 10 inches at the highest point of the shoulders shall be disqualified from competition as a Toy Poodle.
As long as the Toy Poodle is definitely a Toy Poodle, and the Miniature Poodle a Miniature Poodle, both in balance and proportion for the Variety, diminutiveness shall be the deciding factor when all other points are equal.

Now, that said, Toy and Miniature poodles both can go oversize (over the stated height) due to genetics. It has happened in the past that some intervariety breeding was done for very specific reasons by knowledgeable breeders to introduce or remove a trait. Sometimes the ancestral genetics drop in unexpectedly. This shouldn't be done just because someone has one of each :).

The breed description reads exactly the same for each variety but in reality, there are visual differences in the varieties beyond size.

I had two girls from an intervariety breeding and their faces show the visual difference. As far as calling them toys vs mpoos, because they're taller than toys I refer to them as miniatures.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Any Poodle which is 15 inches or less in height shall be disqualified from competition as a Standard Poodle.

The Miniature Poodle is 15 inches or under at the highest point of the shoulders, with a minimum height in excess of 10 inches.
Any Poodle which is over 15 inches or is 10 inches or less at the highest point of the shoulders shall be disqualified from competition as a Miniature Poodle.

Any Poodle which is more than 10 inches at the highest point of the shoulders shall be disqualified from competition as a Toy Poodle.
As long as the Toy Poodle is definitely a Toy Poodle, and the Miniature Poodle a Miniature Poodle, both in balance and proportion for the Variety, diminutiveness shall be the deciding factor when all other points are equal.

Now, that said, Toy and Miniature poodles both can go oversize (over the stated height) due to genetics. It has happened in the past that some intervariety breeding was done for very specific reasons by knowledgeable breeders to introduce or remove a trait. Sometimes the ancestral genetics drop in unexpectedly. This shouldn't be done just because someone has one of each :).

The breed description reads exactly the same for each variety but in reality, there are visual differences in the varieties beyond size.

I had two girls from an intervariety breeding and their faces show the visual difference. As far as calling them toys vs mpoos, because they're taller than toys I refer to them as miniatures.
View attachment 473444
New in the world of Poodledom. Thanks for all the info. GiGy is right on the top line of Toy and the bottom line of Mini. I go with Toy. She is just so tiny. My grown kids have Labs, Catahoulas, and Labradoodles. GiGy comes up to about their ankles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

View attachment 473444
Your girls ar beautiful!

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Thank you :).

Any time you have questions or just want to join in on something, sing out.

I'd love to see a picture of GiGy. She sounds completely adorable!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts