Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know a breeder of toys in the US who temperament test, use Puppy Culture protocols, and generally prioritizes socialization (e.g., starts crate and potty training, implements Rule of 12, etc)? I know of one in Canada, but are there any in the United States?

By the way, for any of you breeders out there, if you did this and touted it, I would think there would be a big market for it.

From what I've found, the most highly reputable breeders pick a show prospect from the litter, and the rest go to good homes. There are only about two pups in any toy litter. That means most pet owners get what remains after the show dog is picked out, and temperament testing doesn't really come into play.

Would welcome your thoughts.

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
That means most pet owners get what remains after the show dog is picked out, and temperament testing doesn't really come into play.
There is often no difference to the untrained eye between a pick of the litter and « what remains ». You don’t need pick of the litter unless you are going to show. Any dog from a good, ethical breeder will be a good pick il he is paired with the right home according to temperament.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your thoughtful response Dechi. My understanding is that poodle personalities vary to some degree. Starting off with lots of socializing is always a plus. Just wondering if any breeders specifically take steps to train —for example ensuring exposure to12 new things every day, starting crate training, et—so that the transition to being a pet in a new home will be slightly easier.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone know a breeder of toys in the US who temperament test, use Puppy Culture protocols, and generally prioritizes socialization (e.g., starts crate and potty training, implements Rule of 12, etc)? I know of one in Canada, but are there any in the United States?

By the way, for any of you breeders out there, if you did this and touted it, I would think there would be a big market for it.

From what I've found, the most highly reputable breeders pick a show prospect from the litter, and the rest go to good homes. There are only about two pups in any toy litter. That means most pet owners get what remains after the show dog is picked out, and temperament testing doesn't really come into play.

Would welcome your thoughts.
Hi Cindy 12 - wondering if I could ask the name of the Canadian Breeder you are referring to? Is it Temple City Poodles? Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To be fair, I have found that reputable breeders will tell you they know their pups and will try to match owners with the temperament that will work for that adopter. However, that's different from having a formal temperament test and/or following the specific steps in Puppy Culture.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Temple City Poodles has recently joined PF and from what we see on the website and how they've conducted themselves here, if I were looking in that area, I'd definitely make contact to see if it's a relationship to pursue.

Reactions: Cindy12

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
However, that's different from having a formal temperament test and/or following the specific steps in Puppy Culture.
I've been compiling a Geographic Breeder List with additional resources but health testing is the criteria used to select them. In compiling, I've seen Puppy Culture and some other socialization methods referenced on some of the sites but I'm leaving that to the searcher to ask of the breeder. Here's the latest update on the List.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts