Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had to deal with a torn AC Liagament.
My minature Poodle has one.
Hopefully he will be scheduled for surgery soon.
Just wondering how the recovery went.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Playing ball.The Vet said,it is bascially a sports injury.He has always been very enthusiastic,in his play.
I think,his escapades at age 7+yrs has sadly, fianally caught up to him.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi, My Newfoundland had two TPLO's. Can't remember what exactly that was - tibial plateau leveling osteotomy - I think. Anyway, he blew out his knees (at two separate times). His first recovery was not great at all, I knew he was in pain and not on the correct pain med for him (crying through the night, etc)., I kept calling the vet and they reassured me it was "normal. The second surgery was done by another surgeon and it went a lot smoother, better pain meds, and he game out walking lightly on that leg when I picked him up. Go with your gut, try and get as many referrals as you can on the surgeon. My standard poodle also had a knee surgery and she didn't truly need it (came to realize afterwards). So, try and do as much homework as you can. Also, a big thing that really helped the Newfie was water therapy afterwards, they get great exervise w/o any weight bearing, there was a special place we drove to and we went for a week straight, highly receommend the water therapy afterwards if you can find it. Good luck

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply.
It seems you certainly have experience with this type of surgery.Hopefully your Dogs are well and it hasn't caused them any deficits or athritis.Something I have read that could result from such an injury.

The thing is we are brand new here to Florida and I don't have any knowledge of how to evaluate this Otho Vet.Everyone around us is new to this community and a Northern Transplant :)

I am trying to read as much as I can.Thankfully the tramadol is keeping him comfortable.
How are your dogs doing and how long has it been since their surgeries.

Thanks once again.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi, Both of my dogs were about 5 and 6 when they had their surgeries. My Newfie had cancer (ripe old age of 12) and passed in February and my standard I just lost a few weeks ago (she was 13). The Newfie had a remarkable recovery after his water therapy and the right vet. Just keep asking around, you will find someone that knows the surgeon. You could also try a referral from a vetrinary school (such as UC Davis here in California). Try a local college that has vet. medicine and maybe they can help?

We have a puppy coming in a few weeks so we are excited.

Let me know if I can help further.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have looked up this Orth Vet on the net and saw some good comments.We are traveling to another town as advised by our Vet.

Good advice on water therapy.I have found a rehab that does hydro therapy and will be having my little guy have sessions after his surgery.

I am sure you will enjoy your new Puppy.
I hope once you have the intial vaccines you will go with titers.Since I believe we are over vaccinating our dogs(another subject)

Thank-you for your input.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My little guy is having surgery.
The Vet said he should have conventional!

They said he wil be on Previcox,it is a new anti immflamatory/I hate these things.

Has anyone's dog been on it.
Wow I hope my dog never has to have surgery again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re the post above,they certainly don't have good ettiquette,posting an advert on this Poodle site,so personally I wouldn't even think about buying from them.

Very Poor!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They are blood levels of vaccination strengh,that show if your dog still has good immunitty against diseases,so you don't vaccinate every year.

My dogs are 7+years and 8+ years and still show high immunity from their baby vaccinations.
So the titers are accepted by the kennels and I don't vaccinate them every year,in fact never except for Rabies,which is required by law but isn't necessary.btw/there is a study trying to get vaccines on a rabies banned(except for initial ones),since it is all the drug companies that tell us we need it and a money maker and many old dogs have died from Rabies vaccines.
My Vet told me the only reason they do annual vaccinations of distemepr and such is because the drug companies say to do them and so to protect themselves.
Though some Vets will push them for money reasons.
You got your baby vaccines,do you continue to get vaccinated,I doubt it.

Google
Over vaccination of dogs.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
wow that is very interesting - I don't think mine get anything annually except the Lyme Disease booster but I think they have gotten the other more than once - I will have to check and also ask my vet about the titers. Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts