Poodle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thank you so much for that info!! I had no idea bleeding gums WERE signs of Gingivitis. I realize you're not a vet but I thought I'd ask anyway. Do you think it could be the reason why my dog sometimes spits out treats he originally likes? Sometimes he chews like its uncomfortable and doesn't like to carry things in his mouth unless they're super soft toys.

Also, will brushing his teeth daily and thoroughly help cure the gingivitis? Or will I have to go see a vet for that? Is there anyway I can do to help keep his teeth clean other than the water additives and brushing?

Thanks again for answering my questions :)) I'm such a newbie at this whole thing and I don't want my dog to suffer from my lack of knowledge.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Brushing often will help. I tried Plaque Blast.. Got it at petsmart off the as seen on tv endcap lol.. You can probably get it at Wally World too. Anyway I tried it because people made it sound like a wonder elixir to remove plaque. My finding if the teeth were sorta bad.. Like need to scale bad it was no wonder drug lol. If however the teeth were off color without a lot plaque it helped whiten the teeth. Now the most most impressive part which is why I mention it is that altho it does not remove plaque easily it does combat gingivitis very well. Spray it in the mouth a couple times a day.. It tastes like water, but it really does help with the redness and bleeding along the gum line.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
275 Posts
Brushing often will help. I tried Plaque Blast.. Got it at petsmart off the as seen on tv endcap lol.. You can probably get it at Wally World too. Anyway I tried it because people made it sound like a wonder elixir to remove plaque. My finding if the teeth were sorta bad.. Like need to scale bad it was no wonder drug lol. If however the teeth were off color without a lot plaque it helped whiten the teeth. Now the most most impressive part which is why I mention it is that altho it does not remove plaque easily it does combat gingivitis very well. Spray it in the mouth a couple times a day.. It tastes like water, but it really does help with the redness and bleeding along the gum line.

Thank you so much! Ill definitely try that!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Great Video

Thank you so much for taping that. I band my girl's head but have never used a knitting needle to make the lines. I am always struggling with a comb. It will be so much easier this way. And of course in between watching your technique your cat kept me so entertained. I am so proud that I brush my 3 poodles teeth everday - well that was until I saw you do it. You get a gold star for the best brushing ever. I think your dogs get a better brushing than most people! Thanks again it was great.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have the same toothpaste! But on the bottle it says you don't have to brush. I suppose you do? I haven't noticed a difference with my boy using it. He has some stinky breath.

·
Registered
528 Posts
You don't have to, but I feel like brushing spreads the gel better and really scrubs it in :)
You are right. Today I used a toothbrush with the gel and his breath does smell better than when I just put the gel on his teeth. I can't brush as vigorously as you yet, his gums bled a bit with just a little brushing, but with time hopefully I can :)

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
Start now! Also you should be getting him to a groomer now to get him used to the process. Misha had her first face, feet and tail shave at 4 weeks of age. You want to get him used to it now, otherwise he can become very fearful. Make sure you find a very patient groomer who will go slowly and make it a good experience.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Would you take him to a groomer before he has his 2nd Bortadella shot? I'm all for taking him now, and I brush him every night. Oh, and where do I get the gel for his teeth and the right brush?

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
I did, but I know my groomer and her assistant (my daughter). If you are nervous maybe you could find a groomer that is mobile and can come to your house. I wonder why Sharon hadn't already started..maybe just busy.

You can buy the toothpaste at any pet store or online at sites like: Dr. Fosters and Smith or Petedge.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Basically what N2Michief said, but remember this: If you get your dog groomed every 4-6 weeks and rely on them to brush your dog's teeth, imagine how effective brushing our own teeth would be if we did it only in that timeframe.

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
Oh for sure it needs to be done at home every day! I was just suggesting to ALSO get him used to grooming before he gets much older. I would not pay a groomer to brush teeth. At my shop we charged $5 and it literally took us about 2 minutes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for the advice on grooming and teeth brushing. Got the gel yesterday and promptly forgot. Lol but will be a better mom today. Also he was groomed on Wednesday and groomer said he was great ( and my oh my soooooo handsome!!)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I love how your poodles hold for the banding and tooth brushing. Reminds me that I should get on top of brushing my own teeth more often. Hahaha

·
Registered
51 Posts
Great video on brushing teeth! I guess I need to get a larger toothbrush for Bentley. I'm brushing them once a week and this week (week 4) he had a much better response to it. So I'm hopeful to have him behave as well as yours someday! Thanks for posting the video!

41 - 60 of 64 Posts