Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still new to the poodle thing (Koda being my first)

How do you get their top knots to well stay fluffy

Koda's is always flat :scared:

I dont know how you do it i brush it and it stays fluffy for 5 min then its back to being flat

Please help:)

~Lizz~

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
The "fluffiness" of the topknot is determined by coat texture. If the coat is dense and woolly, then when it is brushed, it will stand up in that perfect Poodle afro.

Unfortunately, Apricots and Reds are known for having softer coats. This makes it harder to get the look you are going for. How old is Koda? If he is young (< 12 months), then his coat still has the potential to change and get coarser.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It will be better after he's grown....I hear it takes 12 months to get the "big kid" coat. From there, it should get nice and fluffy, but doubtful it will ever be as snazzy as a spoo with a more dense coat.

Either way, he will still have the cutiest 'fro in town!

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Paris is 4 years old, and because I keep her topknot LONG, it is perpetually flopped into an impressive pancake. lol.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Cut the top knot a little shorter. Inca has a dense black coat and always has a lovely fluffy top knot. Coco is cafe au lait (faded brown) and I have to cut her top knot quite short to keep it looking nice. The other alternative is to grow it long and put a little band in it.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Cut the top knot a little shorter. Inca has a dense black coat and always has a lovely fluffy top knot. Coco is cafe au lait (faded brown) and I have to cut her top knot quite short to keep it looking nice. The other alternative is to grow it long and put a little band in it.
Both of the adults here have scrumptious scissored pet trim top knots. They stay beautiful until they get too long and need to be trimmed. Sometimes just taking 1/8" off the height allows it to stand up again. Holly is red and Thinker is silver and Holly's have most definately become coarser and easier to handle since she went through the coat change. Thinker's is like a Brillo pad!

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
My ginger has very soft hair - when she is wet she is totally flat! I keep her top know a little shorter and then when I brush it, it stays better. Teddy has that coarser coat and even wet his stays fluffy and curly! men! lol

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
The coat change usually starts around 8 month.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
When Romeo was a puppy his topknot would never stay up, was always flat. As his coat changed, so did his topknot. It went from flat to stiff and stays up, as long as it's not overly long.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you SO much everyone! I was concerned because Koda will be in my Senior pictures with me and I didnt want a flat top knot poodle! Along with casual pictures We are going to do a kinda Richy Rich picture. . . I'm thinking a miami cut is what I will have done. . . Again thanxz!

~Lizz~:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts