Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I spent a few hours grooming sassy. I thought I鈥檇 leave trimming her and spray her topknot up instead, I have never attempted it before so it took me about 20mins work out where start 馃槀 I have entered her into a show so thought I鈥檇 better get abit of practice in 馃檲 her top knot is still short because I trimmed it short when she was 5 months. She has just one band in and has a few stray hairs on the bauble which weren鈥檛 quite long enough stay in the band. I鈥檓 pleased with how it鈥檚 turned out. Any pointers welcome!
Dog Water dog Dog breed Carnivore Plant

Dog breed Toy Companion dog Terrestrial animal Grass

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Grey Working animal

Primate Eye Dog breed Liver Companion dog

Dog breed Dog Carnivore Liver Companion dog

Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog Snout Terrestrial animal

Registered
She has plenty of top knot - it will look much longer when the coat on her body, legs, and tail are scissored back.

Registered
Nice job. Good luck at the show.

Reactions: Deere and Vee

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She has plenty of top knot - it will look much longer when the coat on her body, legs, and tail are scissored back.
Thanks. I鈥檓 going to trim her next week, I鈥檓 suddenly nervous in case I make a massive mistake 馃槵

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Registered
Amazing! how long did it take for topknot to grow back after you cut it short? and how old was she for her first show?

I got mine in the puppy cut but I had some minor issues with matting, they were small but in sensitive areas so I decided that as she was 4 months that it would be better to shave her down and focus on the behaviour side of grooming (she was starting to give the brush the side eye, I didn't want her to associate the process with pain). But now I am itching to get her back into full coat again haha!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Amazing! how long did it take for topknot to grow back after you cut it short? and how old was she for her first show?

I got mine in the puppy cut but I had some minor issues with matting, they were small but in sensitive areas so I decided that as she was 4 months that it would be better to shave her down and focus on the behaviour side of grooming (she was starting to give the brush the side eye, I didn't want her to associate the process with pain). But now I am itching to get her back into full coat again haha!
Thank you. It took 4 and a half months grow from this 馃憞馃徏
Dog Water dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog

She鈥檚 going into her first show in a few weeks she鈥檒l be 10 months old.

I know how you feel I trimmed her off and instantly wanted it to grow back 馃檲
That鈥檚 a good idea, it was a lot easier to cope with a few months ago (not so much now) and it soon grows back anyway. How old is yours now?

Registered
I know how you feel I trimmed her off and instantly wanted it to grow back 馃檲
That鈥檚 a good idea, it was a lot easier to cope with a few months ago (not so much now) and it soon grows back anyway. How old is yours now?
She will turn 6 months old in two days. I am glad to see that I haven't completely ruined her chances haha. I would say her hair length is similar as to the one on your picture, maybe a little shorter. It has been very good to have her short for a while because it has made it easier for me to learn the proper brushing, bathing and drying techniques. As I am new to this it was really hard to put into practice everything that I had read about on a very fluffy, wiggly and pitch black puppy. I could hardly see what I was doing!

It has been very useful to practice on a shorter coat, I think it's going to be better now as I ease back into the show fluff rather than jump into the deep end of the pool by starting out with a full coated puppy.

But I have for the most part kept her on the show coat routine. Just for both of us to get into that rythm and for her to get used to it. She has improved a lot but blow drying the topknot is still a challenge. She also HATED it when I would band the topknot, so now while it's still too short, I have started to hold the topknot, say topknot, and then give her a treat. This approach has worked very well with getting her used to dental hygiene. A month ago she wouldn't let us look into her mouth, now she lets us brush her teeth!

Registered
@Phaz23 I was looking forward to the top knot and bracelets when I got Wally, my first poodle. Sadly, he has a pitiful coat that is not only very sparse but fine. So his hair can not be grown out because it doesn't fill in, and it can't be too short or he will burn in the Arizona sun. I see all of your poodle's coats and think "my poor Wally!" Tekno's coat is to die for. If Wally had a coat like that he would rock the spray up too!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
She will turn 6 months old in two days. I am glad to see that I haven't completely ruined her chances haha. I would say her hair length is similar as to the one on your picture, maybe a little shorter. It has been very good to have her short for a while because it has made it easier for me to learn the proper brushing, bathing and drying techniques. As I am new to this it was really hard to put into practice everything that I had read about on a very fluffy, wiggly and pitch black puppy. I could hardly see what I was doing!

It has been very useful to practice on a shorter coat, I think it's going to be better now as I ease back into the show fluff rather than jump into the deep end of the pool by starting out with a full coated puppy.

But I have for the most part kept her on the show coat routine. Just for both of us to get into that rythm and for her to get used to it. She has improved a lot but blow drying the topknot is still a challenge. She also HATED it when I would band the topknot, so now while it's still too short, I have started to hold the topknot, say topknot, and then give her a treat. This approach has worked very well with getting her used to dental hygiene. A month ago she wouldn't let us look into her mouth, now she lets us brush her teeth!
She鈥檚 so cute!
I was told by a well known groomer who shows poodles that trimming the coat right back when young helps with the growth and makes a better coat. A lot of show people do it, It was why I did it. I鈥檓 not sure if it does though I think it鈥檚 just takes the more difficult fluff away which I think would gradually happen with regular scissor trimming. Maybe im wrong.
what do you use to dry the topknot? I use the soft child hair bands on sassy maybe try those? That鈥檚 good she has her teeth brushed. It鈥檚 a good idea you have the shorter coat so you can keep the grooming sessions shorter she will probably be well settled into grooming for when you attempt show grooming.

Registered
She鈥檚 so cute!
I was told by a well known groomer who shows poodles that trimming the coat right back when young helps with the growth and makes a better coat. A lot of show people do it, It was why I did it. I鈥檓 not sure if it does though I think it鈥檚 just takes the more difficult fluff away which I think would gradually happen with regular scissor trimming. Maybe im wrong.
what do you use to dry the topknot? I use the soft child hair bands on sassy maybe try those? That鈥檚 good she has her teeth brushed. It鈥檚 a good idea you have the shorter coat so you can keep the grooming sessions shorter she will probably be well settled into grooming for when you attempt show grooming.
Well I tried to use her blow dryer, the force one (is that's what they are called?) she hated that. She is actually more tolerant of my hairdryer but it heats up a lot. So I have been using the same technique as when I used to look after elderly people. To move the hairdryer as I blow on her and never let it blow at the same spot for more more than a few seconds. However, I am going to work with her to accept her blow dryer on her head because I think the extra heat from mine is going to cause breakage over time.

She had no patience for this during her last bath, but I think it's because I bathed her after dinner so she was too tired after the day. I am going to get in the routine of making saturday grooming day so I don't have to interrupt naps.

For the topknot I was putting it up with black elastics. Now, in Evra's defence I was a bit clumsy with it! so maybe that contributed to her discomfort. Then she would wiggle, then I was even clumsier with the process, she would wiggle more... It was a vicious cycle that ended in a shave down 馃槄

I think it might be time to practice again, but as her hair is still somewhat short I can practice without the pressure of needing to get it done desperately.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts