Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's really, really cold and blowy here, and even Sophy says it is horrible! I have been poorly and my leg was sore, and although I feel much better Mum says I should stay warm and snuggly, so I just nip out for a few minutes and then get back in the warm house or car, but Sophy likes long walks across the fields. Not at the moment though - last night we went out for pees and she went off looking for just the right kind of grass and nearly got blown over and she ran back inside very fast indeed! And Mum says it is going to be even worse tomorrow, with freezing rain making the roads all slippery, so we will stay close to home for a few days and have indoor play with lots of scrummies, Hurrah!

Poppy xxx

[Our prevailing weather is comparatively mild, blowing from the Atlantic to the West of us. The last week has seen high pressure and winds off Siberia to the East - glorious blue skies and sunshine to look out upon, and blisteringly cold blasts on stepping outside! This weekend the two weather fronts are battling it out, so it is a bit wild out there... fjm]

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Dear Poppy,

We must live close by because we have the same weather. This morning when my mom tried to take me out looking for deer and housecats, I got so wet before we even got to the street, that I huffed at my mom to let her know that this morning was a pee-and-breakfast morning. I always insist on breakfast even if I didn't look for deer and housecats because you have to keep humans on a routine or else they forget the most basic things like meals and treats when I come through the door -- things every dog has the good sense to remember but humans forget awfully fast. Why just yesterday I came through the door six times but my mom only fed me three of those times! I'm glad your leg is feeling better and I hope your mom remembers your scrummies. Do try to help her.

Mia

·
Premium Member
13,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are absolutely right, Mia! We have to remind Mum about after-walk and coming-in-through-the-door treats nearly every time! And I have to tell her over and over again when it is time for meals.

We saw some deer once - it was very exciting but Mum wouldn't let us chase them. We do chase next door's cats home sometimes, although Mum tells us not to - Tilly-cat approves, though!

Poppy xx

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
We too are having a cold snap. Low 40's (F) during the day and low 30's (F) at night however Monday the high will be in the 30's and they say 15 degrees at night. There is no way our tortoises's outdoor house will sustain 80 degrees or even 70 so we will be bringing him inside. Good thing we can still carry him. I think we will rework an indoor space for him later today. I had planned to give Renn his groom but I will keep him long and furry till this spell passes.

·
Premium Member
13,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's been down to -7C/20F here with the wind chill factor - a lot lower at night, but Poppy snuggles under the duvet then! Definitely time for extra protection for the tortoise.

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Good morning #2, Poppy! I just had my second getting up and am curling up on the couch for my second lying down. It is still too rainy to go out for a poo, but I came through the door and this time mom remembered on her own it was time for treats. Maybe old humans can learn new tricks.

I don't have a Tilly-cat, but Mrs Cardinal appreciates that I chase the housecats out of the yard. Sometimes my neighbors Max the Papillon and Lily the Hound help. They aren't very good at chasing but they are excellent at sounding the alarm. Lily thinks everything is an emergency but Max is more discerning. Both of them are quiet right now so it's a good time for a nap.

I hope you're getting your scrummies today.

xx Mia

·
Premium Member
13,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We're playing rainy day games, even though it is not raining. Sophy and I wait out in the hall, and Mum gets all the puzzle toys out and hides a few treats in each of them, and we dash round till we have found all the treats, then we go round again slowly and carefully just in case, then we stare at Mum till she tells us to go and wait in the hall while she sets it all up again. She will only ever do it three times, though, so we know after the third time we have to settle down for a while.

Pippin-cat is having his medicine on something really nice in the kitchen. I'm hoping he might leave some, and Mum might forget to pick the bowl up when she opens the door, so I can't go to sleep just yet...

Poppy xx

Reactions: eeeeeek and Liz

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Your games sound wonderful! We're on week 2 of sub-zero (F) temperatures in the US midwest, and no walks are happening. There are voles in the back yard that are enjoying the freedom to roam under cover of snow, and the dogs are well aware, staying outdoors longer than they should for the hunt. We've still made the trek to agility practice at the dog training club M/F as it doesn't require too much time outdoors for any of us. Indoor games at home include sniffers (nosework hides) and canine fitness. It is hilarious to witness the unbridled enthusiasm for the opportunity to earn a couple pieces of kibble.

The cold is sweeping most of the US. Stay warm PFers!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Deacon also agrees that he'd wish this weather would go away. Last night he was running full speed inside the escape the cold and wiped out on the icy deck steps! He was fine, of course. He thought it was my fault though. He's holding a grudge on the deck steps.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Basil here.. I just woke up to MORE white stuff!! Day 2! It reminds me of leaping around in grandma's squash patch and soft dirt as a puppy. Dad uncliped my leash because there are no cars or humans out at 7am... So much fun!!! I'm tired now. I think I'll curl up now with Dad. Maybe he will give me some of his breakfast. [Puppy dog eyes]

·
Premium Member
13,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The very best thing to do when you come in all cold and wet is to get right under the covers and snuggle in bed with your hooman, Basil! That way even your ears and toes get warm again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts