Poodle Forum banner

Do you

• Wipe the lid off with your sleeve and continue drinking. Humans can't catch most dog germs

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Assume the lid kept the drink clean, get a new lid, and finish the drink

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • Dump the whole drink in disgust and start over with a clean glass

Votes: 7 26.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Asking for a friend, on this holiday weekend. :geek: Say you set your go-cup down by your lawn chair, and your puppy demonstrates an unexpected fondness for citrus flavored drinks by licking the entire lid...

·
Premium Member
23,210 Posts
I might not even bother with the new lid. I think if you have dog(s) you have to have tolerance for things like hair on the floor, animals trying to get your food and drinks and all manner of other oddball stuff.

·
Registered
765 Posts
My husband and I stopped for canned drinks after a long summer car trip with our Irish Setter. The dog was hot and thirsty too and licked the top of one of the drink cans.

I gave that one to my unsuspecting husband (no mitigating circumstances).

After a few sips he said with disgust, 'This tastes terrible.' Neither the dog nor I said anything.

So I NEVER drink after the dog.

·
Premium Member
9,703 Posts
I just couldn’t finish the drink in the existing container. DH filled one of our bowls with water for the dog, and I was not okay with that. Buck has his own bowls! That said, he sleeps in our bed.

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
I don’t like being licked by my dogs and I’m generally germaphobic. I wash my hands probably more than a hundred times a day. Needless to say I would never touch that drink...

·
Registered
544 Posts
I’ve eaten dog kibble before :sick:—needless to say, I’m not afraid of a little dog spit 😂. Still would change the lid, but no way am I giving up my tasty drink! If they drank out of it, though, that would be another story.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Nope, I know where those dog mouths go and it is not what I want in my drink! We don’t do kisses on the lips either. Just not my thing, but they do sleep in bed with us. Misty on the pillow above my head.

·
Super Moderator
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My husband hates when I do this! But I feel like if the dishwasher isn't capable of cleaning up Peggy spit, we've got bigger problems.
My sister says something similar. If the dishwasher isn't cleaning off the dog spit it's not cleaning the people spit either. She thinks people are disgusting germy disease vectors, LOL.

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
My sister says something similar. If the dishwasher isn't cleaning off the dog spit it's not cleaning the people spit either. She thinks people are disgusting germy disease vectors, LOL.
I don’t know. I don’t think dishwashers are made to disinfect fecal matter, which can be found in dogs saliva. People saliva is full of germs, but definitely not the same as dogs. Plus, whatever is in someone else’s saliva is most probably in yours too. What’s in dog’s saliva is a different story.

But, to each their own, I respect any other opinion. That’s just my own.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
The dogs often get to lick bowls clean, and I usually feed Annie in my soup bowls - they get thrown into the dishwasher every day or two, which I think is cleaner than a designated "dog dish" which may not be so regularly washed. I do throw something out if they ACTUALLY lap from it (Trixie goes after unprotected coffee). A bit of dog saliva wont kill me, and, other than COViD, I am generally someone who thinks germs are good, they strengthen the immune system. Plus, though I discourage it, I often get dog tongue on my face and mouth in the morning- Annie has discovered it's a very reliable way to wake me up (ew!). Soap and hot water are pretty much the worlds best disinfectants anyways, so long as the surface comes clean, it should remove everything, I dont worry about dishes. I dont let them lick wooden spoons or cutting boards, as those have rough surfaces that are tough to clean perfectly.

·
Super Moderator
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As for dishwashers, they create a lot of steam. How long does something have to be steamed to die?
It depends on the organism. You don't really need to kill the germs; you just need to get them off the plates and down the drain. A good dishwasher and detergent will accomplish that even without a sanitize cycle.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I’ve eaten dog kibble before :sick:—needless to say, I’m not afraid of a little dog spit 😂. Still would change the lid, but no way am I giving up my tasty drink! If they drank out of it, though, that would be another story.
Ditto!! Except I have tried dog treats before 😬

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think it would depend for me. I would probably just take the lid off and keep drinking it. I let my spoo lick plates/bowls before they get rinsed with soap and water and then go in the dishwasher as long as it’s safe (i.e no chocolate).

I also taught her how to drink from a bottle as a puppy so there’s been quite a few times when people in my family drink the bottle that the dog drank from even though it is marked as “dog” on the lid. 😅 She licks my face as a wake up if she needs to go out...so it’s not like I don’t have her germs anyways.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Asking for a friend, on this holiday weekend. :geek: Say you set your go-cup down by your lawn chair, and your puppy demonstrates an unexpected fondness for citrus flavored drinks by licking the entire lid...
Years ago I gave a big steak bone to my dog. I took it up from the grass and wrapped it in aluminum foil. Placed it in the fridge. My husband for the first time in memory at that time, made himself a sandwich with, guess what. He mentioned later that there was some green herbs on the meat. I didn't tell him the truth until much later.

·
Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
I don’t know. I don’t think dishwashers are made to disinfect fecal matter, which can be found in dogs saliva. People saliva is full of germs, but definitely not the same as dogs. Plus, whatever is in someone else’s saliva is most probably in yours too. What’s in dog’s saliva is a different story.

But, to each their own, I respect any other opinion. That’s just my own.
Eek! That's an icky thought.

Wouldn't this mean then that dog bowls shouldn't even be put in the same dishwasher as human dishes?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Zephyr usually gets a bite or two of what I'm eating, sometimes I give it to him from my fork. He takes the tidbit very delicately with his little front teeth and barely touches the fork. I keep using the fork.

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
Wouldn't this mean then that dog bowls shouldn't even be put in the same dishwasher as human dishes?
I don’t know, but I would never put any dog accessory in my dishwasher. I’m a bit OCD, lol ! I wash my dogs’ bowls twice a day by hand, with hot water and soap. Same for the water bowl. Unless I was washing only dog stuff, but it wouldn’t make sense to use the dishwasher for 2-3 items.

Same with laundry. I don’t wash dog stuff with mine.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts