Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im having quite a few toileting problems with Bobby,as im not allowed to take him in my garden,the vet said no because of him being ill i must wait until 10 days after his second jab :( so hes confined to the kitchen,i have let him out with me but he wants to pee on my floor to hes back in the kitchen.

Thing is he doesn keep it to opne place hes pooping all over like he doesnt no where he should be going,id rather he go by the back door and iv sprayed the floor with speacil spray to keep him off but it doesnt work???Help please

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I've got nothing for that, except only giving him acess to where is he supposed to go or where it is easiest to clean. Thats what I've done with Saleen since she wasn't able to hold it with her infection. I gated her off in one of the few tiles areas of my home so she could pee whenever she needed to and I could clean up easily.

I'e never used any of the spay deterants or attractants with any sucess but maybe somebody else has.. ??

I really feel for you! I would hate to have to deal with all that and not even be able to begin housetraining my new puppy.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well you just dont want to know what i got up to :(:(:(
My kitchen floor smothered with slushy poos hed pauled some washing out of the basket that was on the floor too it was horrendus so iv crated him and cleaned im very upset,he hasnt stopped barking since iv crated him im at my witts end :( i could cry

·
Registered
912 Posts
Take a deep breath, it will get better :smile: I don't usually recommend them but maybe in this case some puppy pads would be the go. That way you can at least keep training him to go in the one spot rather than everywhere and then move them to outside when he is allowed outside again.

The trick with toilet training is to ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS make sure he toilets in he spot you have chosen for him. He doesn't get a choice, cause if he is out with you you are watching him like a hawk and taking him to where he needs to toilet before he has an accident.

This is straight after every meal, immediately upon him waking up and every 30 minutes (cause he is not well and probably can't hold for long) to 1 hour in between. If you are not watching him he should be in his crate, that's after you have made sure he has toileted and isn't going to be forced to make a mistake in his crate. If the crate is the right size eg. not to big, doesn't have food or water in there and the pup isn't left so long he can't hold it he won't make a mess in his crate.

I have read this somewhere before and think Wonderpup put a better version up in another thread - but basically if you puppy has an accident, roll up a big heavy newspaper, stand in front of the pup and whack yourself three times really hard cause YOU allowed the pup to toilet in the wrong spot :rofl: I can't stress this enough, you are the human, you are responsible for helping the puppy to toilet in the right spot EVERY TIME. Not every second or third time or when he accidently gets it right - EVERY TIME. Be his friend and help him get it right.

OK as you can tell I love toilet training :smile: Hope it helps some.

·
Registered
646 Posts
OH hun I feel so bad for you.
He will cry in his crate but it gets better if you use it. If you know he just went then let him cry and as soon as quiet treat and take out. Do this over the course of the day and especially if you are at your wits end.
Puppies sleep alot so don't feel bad where he sleeps.

Why is he still mushy poops though. Is the meds working? Are they why he is mushy and how much longer is he on them for?

Make sure it is always pleasent going into crate with acouple pcs of kibble ( wouldn't rock the boat giving him any different cookies) or achewie.

I am not a fan of blankets in the crate as they learn to pee and then move blanket out of way.

We used to feed Casey in his kennel only because I heard that they don't usually potty where they eat. that and the fact he would steel all Mandy's as well LOL actually he stiill gets his dinner in his crate

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well so far so good im not giving his a chance to go in doors although i cant take him out in garden i have took him out on my patio and hes peeing out there and then back in and in crate when i cant watch him i really need him to get the hang of this,i dont want another massive clean up in my kitchen again lkike that it was really horrible i didnt know where to start i even had to throw some toys away because they were caked up :(

·
Registered
646 Posts
oh glad you are taking him outside now. Even just the patio is good as you can hose it off. I wouldn't be afraid to get some bleach every couple days and hose that into patio as well.

Yes crate when not watching is the best way to keep from accidents. Do you leash him to you when he is out of crate so he not sneaking off?

Good luck things will get better. Have you found any probiotics? those are what cured casey after 8 months of poops

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I leash him so that i know what hes doing,this is how im going to be until hes not soiling indoors.Im not sure he likes the crate he dont stop crying in it,but at least he isnt soiling in that theres no room for anything but his bed in the crate

·
Registered
912 Posts
Glad to hear your making progress. The patio is good, it's outside the home and he will be able to make the distinction between indoors and out. Honestly if you can eliminate the accidents indoors you'll find he very quickly picks up that outdoors is where to go! And you'll find he doesn;t want to cause it is so foreign to him to have to tilet inside. Your doing great :smile:

Bleach is good but make sure it is well diluted and you wash it all off. Just read a horror story about a Malamute (or one of those) whose owners were washing his toilet area with bleach and it burn his feet, raw pads coming off :sad:

If you can give him any sort of treats without upsetting his tummy, you can put one or two leading up to the crate and then one or two inside leave the door open so he can go in and out to find them, when he's not confined.

I think feeding and then removing the food from the crate is OK, just no food or water left in there for a start or you'll end up with a puppy who needs to toilet and no where to go, which would be horrible for him.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Remember make the crate a happy place with a few bits of kibble each time. Get a chewie that is only for the crate. If he isn't peeing in his bed good just watch he not piddling on it and it soaking it up.

They don't like them but it is fact of life and they learn to love them Mandy has no crate but if iI leave it out she will still hide in the puppy one for a nap.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Maybe feed him in his crate if you aren't already. Thats a really good way to make the crate a nice place to be.

I'm LOVING the keeping puppies leashed idea. That is really working wondering in my household. I used to do it with every puppy/new dog in for training a long time ago and can't for the life of me remember what made me stop.

I'm very sorry you were frustrated, sounds like you are feeling better now. I hope so.

·
Registered
646 Posts
How long was he in it when he pooped? Had he a chance to go before remember your poor little guy has some poop issues anyways so he might not have been able to control it or it was a one time deal.
Casey pooped in his many times uggg it was awful Woman who bred him said he was crate trained ya traine to poop in it. We got through it by making it as small as possible and no bedding in there. Just plastic floor.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I'm sure he is having trouble holding it and being in a crate so often makes it a little harder. It's a rough spot you're in, no doubt. You need to be able to confine him and he needs to be able to go potty.

I'm sure you'll find a balance soon that will make you both happy.

How is he doing anyway? Is he getting any better at all? Are the meds helping?

·
Registered
912 Posts
He didn't decide to poop in his crate he had no other option! You need to make sure he is empty before you put him in the crate if your going to be leaving him in there for any length of time eg. more than 30 - 60 minutes. Everytime you allow him to get it wrong your taking three steps back.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
he had just been out 10 mins before and had a poo and pee but still did more in the crate,hes done more since so its really frustrating,i also dont thinkl hes had much human contact hes very snarly :(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts