Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im still having toileting problems Daisy has frequent walks more than enough and gets access to the garden she does toilet outside everytime but shes still doing it inside,and if i let her out of the kitchen she wont go back in the kitchn for her toileting she will pee where she is.
If i shut her in the kitchen she pees on her mats i want to stop this indoors,when will she clock on to realising outside only??She is 5 and half months old

·
Registered
329 Posts
We were having problems with Jenny and found out she had a bladder infection. You might want to rule that out. After she got an antibiotic she never had another accident. She is about the same age. If that isn't the problem then you may need to crate her indoors unless you are actively engaged with her. When you see her peeing make a loud noise and scoop her up and take her out. Also make sure you are cleaning the spots she has peed on inside with Nature's Miracle or something similar so she isn't attracted back to the same spots.

·
Registered
329 Posts
She will learn to like a crate. Jenny would rather sleep with me and be with me during the day and she is only crated at night when hubby is home (he doesn't want her to sleep with us) and wehen we aren't home. She rarely goes to her crate during the day, but she will when she is feeling nervous or uncomfortable, which shows she does find it a place of comfort.

·
Registered
329 Posts
If she is in a crate just big enough for her, she will not potty while in it. So when you take her out of the crate, go straight outside to her potty spot. Tell her to go "Go potty" is what we use. When she goes make a huge deal out of it with lots of hugs. When you get back inside don't let her wonder off, you have to be able to see her at all times. When you can't be watching or playing with her put her back in the crate. Sometimes it helps to leash them to you, that way they can't wonder away to do their business. Anyway the crate keeps her from pottying indoors by only giving her the option to potty outdoors. Does that make sense? Right now she thinks she can potty wherever she feels like it, but you aren't going to give her the opportunity to potty anywhere but outdoors. When you are home but busy give her a couple toys to occupy her in her crate but when I'm not home I don't give any toys other than one piece hard rubber ones that she can't chew pieces off of. I'm always afraid she will choke especially on rope toys and stuffed animals.

·
Registered
912 Posts
The crate really needs to be just big enough for her to stand up and turn around, anything bigger and she will choose a corner and potty there and you have defeated the purpose of the crate. As Sam I Am said the whole point is that she is never allowed to toilet inside again hence when you can't be giving her 100% concentration put her in the crate. You must also give her every opportunity to toilet outside, if you leave her in the crate and she really needs to go she can only hold it for so long so it is your responsibility to ensure she doesn't have to go potty in the crate. You have to be prepared to get up in the middle of the night if she asks to go out too! I was getting up 3 times a night and trapsing down stairs to the outside but that was when T was only 2 - 3 months old after that he was only once a night.

I would be going back to taking her outside every hour, after sleep and after she eats. Get into a routine so she knows what to expect, and knows she will have an opportunity to toilet outside regularly.

I can't stress this enough YOU have to make sure she NEVER again toilets inside. Don't give her any opportunity to get it wrong and she will very quickly learn that outside is the way to go. If she has an accident inside it is YOUR fault beacuse you haven't been vigilant enough and given her the opportunity to go outside.

T is now kennelled at night with the older dog and he will not toilet even in the kennel run which is concrete. If his paws are not on dirt or grass he will not toilet, he has been like this from 4 months of age. We may have had 3 or 4 accidents in the house, only ever wees and only because I was learning his signals, once I got the hang of it we didn't have any more accidents :smile:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts