Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can i have some advice when i keep my pup in the kitchen with her puppy pad she always uses it never messes anywhere else.

Iv tryed moving it into the garden as the pad is by the back door but she wont use it outside,also if i let her out of the kitchen she will forget about the pad in the kitchen and pee on my carpet what can i do to get her to realise outside pooing and peeing only???

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have had bad luck with potty pads...so I would say from personal experience that I wouldn't use anything in the house. I would keep your puppy crated or in a small space and let him out often. And if he is with you just make sure that you can see him at all times in the room (while he is being trained) I would make sure you go outside with your pup and stay there until you see him do his business and then praise BIG time.
My cresteds took a really long time to train because I started with potty pads and it seemed like they transferred that into any bathroom rug, towel or small blanket on the floor. It wasn't until I took it all away and only let outside be a potty place that they have seemed to get it. GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I agree - I tried the pad with Ginger and it wasn't good. We didn't use them with the minis but it still took a long time to train it seems. the crate worked for Ginger and Teddy. However, my carpet always seemd to be their favorite place to have an accident. I think no mattter how you clean it, they can still smell the urine and will go back to that place. So we got rid of the carpet and got laminate floors! love them!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am still in the process of potty training Ben, and I find as long as you are home, just keep them with you all the time. I can tell when Ben needs to go for the most part, and just take him out. BIG praises, when they go outside. I like the potty pads for when I go out, because pup stays in my kitchen as well, and it is easier to keep clean that way. Crating apparently really works, but my dog likes to go to the bathroom in his crate... so that doesn't really work for me, just at night.

·
Registered
912 Posts
The crate needs to be just big enough for them to stand up, turn around and streach out completely - nothing more or else your pup willl choose a corner to toilet and then you have lost the point of the crate.

No food or water left in the crate, at least not to start with, there shouldn't be room for bowls anyway or else the crate is too big. You can feed or give treats in the crate to make it a good place for the pup to be but remove the bowl as soon as the pup is finished so he has enough room to sleep.

Obviously you have to be vigilant when your pup is in the crate because he/she can't go to the toilet and they have a very small bladder so you need to be getting them out regularly, taking them outside and praising, praising, giving treats, using a catch phrase if you want to train that - I say "do wees" - hopefully one day he will do so on command.

I have found this to be very effective with T, we have only had three accidents in the house and they were all within the first 2 days while I was getting the hang of having a puppy in the house again. And as always they were my fault cause he was out of his crate and I either didn't see the signs or I couldn't (one time I was on the phone and just knew he had to go out but couldn't get him out in time).

I read a good thing a while back "get a piece of rolled up newspaper and when the pup has an accident whack yourself in the head and say Naughty Owner" cause everytime the pup makes a mistake it is your fault, and you just make it harder for yourself. The ideal is if the pup ALWAYS, and I mean every single time, toilets in the area you have set aside. That's why I wouldn't use puppy pads it is confusing for the pup, one day you say it's OK to go inside and then you say no you need to go outside today. We are suppose to be the intelligent ones and if you are vigilant this will work really well.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well she did two poops ouside and a wee when we went for a walk,mind you was walkign for a hour lol shes stubborn,im hoping she will get the idea i gave her lots of praise :)

·
Registered
912 Posts
Excellent news. Yes T can be a bit stubborn too at times, especially at 3am when it's cold and windy and we're walking around outside waiting, waiting, waiting! Your suppose to give them 5 minutes and then put them back in the crate so they realise they need to go quickly, and no playing or talking or anything just out, to the toilet and then back to bed. This is all good and well but at 3am I don't want to have to get up again in 10 minutes when T realises that "yes in fact he really did need to go" plus I have to take him down a flight of stairs to get outside so I usually give him 10 minutes and he will almost always do a wee at least :smile:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Im really not kean on crateing Daisy maybe as a very last result because shes a good little girl in general,what has bugged me lately is iv been standing in the garden with her for 20 mins at a time in the freezing cold,then she will come in and poo on her puppy pad,so i may take the puppy pad outside!!!!But then she is only 3 and a half months old am i expecting too much??

·
Registered
912 Posts
Get rid of the puppy pads and just take her outside. She did exactly as you have asked her too - she came inside and used the pad instead of going on the floor, what a good girl. Get rid of the pad and be vigilant, don't come inside until she had been to the toilet. It is great when you know you have an empty puppy you can relax for 30 - 60 minutes knowing she won't have an accident.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im still struggling with the house training,if i let her have the run of the house which i would like too,she wont even go in the kitchen to poop will still poop where shes standing :( any advice how im going to over come this?

·
Registered
255 Posts
I tell you, I have had puppies before, and until I started crating I never successfully potty trained a dog. Crating is the absolute best way of getting a dog potty trained. I also never let Baxter out of my site. If I left the house, or showered I put him in the crate. Otherwise he was next to me the whole time... That way I could watch his cues and take him out when he needed to potty.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Dont give up! Ginger was 6 months before I could trust her and she still would occasionally go behind a chair and poop! ugh! But she is fine now. It just takes a little longer with some dogs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts