Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How was today's walk?

After a day of February sour weather yesterday, Normie and I woke to blue skies and temps in the 40's. It's retro-October. So our walk was restorative.

Tennessee lived up to its 'Rocky Top' nickname; today with the leaves off the trees we can again see for miles as we descend our little hill. Our s-i-l assures me that the mountain range I view on the far right is actually in North Carolina. Works for me.

Our only wildlife sighting was Canada geese buzzing rooftops and the treeline. I read that they honk when they fly to offer encouragement and probably because it's fun.

Feel free to honk at me if you wish.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Honk.

Yet to have a walk this morning. Dog and I are cuddled on the couch.

Reactions: Liz and Dianaleez

·
Super Moderator
2,031 Posts
Wet and windy. I dug out Snarky's fleece lined raincoat and put it in Galen. The coat has a tendency to slide off to the side, so I pinned some elastic around Galen's hind legs to keep the coat centered. Galen was bothered at first, but he soon forgot about the elastic once we started walking.

·
Premium Member
2,113 Posts
Honk. (I love that image, Diana.)

Ours was sunny but wet and muddy. Streams are high. Wore my good boots. Mia left muddy footprints on the freshly laundered hammock in the car.

Now aspiring to a cuddle on the couch.

·
Registered
372 Posts
We had a lovely walk this morning. We are having a “retro October” as well. I sure hope it continues. This weather makes dog walking so much easier. The snow from earlier snowstorms has melted and we actually have some green grass yet, highly unusual for December in Minnesota. This morning it was crisp, sunny with frost on the ground but it was really nice...refreshing for both of us. Bobby was walking exceptionally well this morning so we walked longer than usual with lots of sniffing but also some good training stuff too. Mornings seem to bring out the best in his walking abilities...the after dark evening walks seem to bring out more poodle silliness.

·
Registered
738 Posts
We did two walks today, the first one Zephyr met his friend Coco and had a really good run around with her, the second one he found a lovely dead squirrel. He was off leash at the time, but was a very good boy and came back and dropped the squirrel after a very short keep away game. Weather has been beautiful here for some time, sunny and near 40F.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
It was a sunny 41 here. We walked in the fields outside my friend's rural home. Then went into her fenced pasture where we played with the agility equipment and watched the beagley girl roll in smelly things. Our GR dog friends, Roxy and Sam, joined in the fun. I feel very lucky at this particular time to be able to distract myself in such a manner..

·
Registered
99 Posts
It was in the 40s here and gray, so very miserable for us in the south. Much like Jan/feb, which are the worst! Starla has just started walking, which I tell the husband is like the best antidepressant, but we stayed home today. She had a great day playing ball in the house, playing with her kids, and practicing her “tricks”. Tomorrow should be a nice day for a walk.

Reactions: Dianaleez

·
Premium Member
12,860 Posts
Similar here in the UK yesterday - barely above freezing but feeling mild in sunshine, blue skies and no wind. There was shooting going on in the hills behind us so we went to the next village for our morning walk, and down by the river in the afternoon. Today I'm hoping it will be equally pleasant and have a walk planned along the salt marshes. It feels like the first daylight after weeks of dank, drear, dark days!

Reactions: Dianaleez

·
Registered
63 Posts
We've been lucky that the weather has been so conducive to walks. We try to take Topper (age 14 weeks) out for two walks a day. One walk is on the six-foot leash and any easy-walk harness (front leash clip to minimize pulling) and one in the park on a 15-foot orange tether and a harness with a back leash clip. The tether walk is free exploration time, and Topper "checks in" with me frequently. His leash walking is improving every day - almost like walking a mature dog! After our walks, we have nice couch snoozes together.

·
Premium Member
12,860 Posts
We quite often have The Talk - usually with me standing on the doorstep, car keys in hand, getting progressively colder and wetter, and Sophy half way up the stairs telling me why it would be much nicer to go back to bed...!

·
Super Moderator
2,031 Posts
Today Galen found a child's mitten and gleefully pounced on it. I had a bit of trouble persuading him to give it up. I tried trading him for a squeaky tennis ball. He figured out he could wrap the mitten around the tennis ball and carry both. Then he decided that my offer of treats had an ulterior motive - which, of course, it did - and he refused to accept them. Finally he slipped up and dropped both the mitten and the tennis ball. Before he had a chance to regather them I kicked the tennis ball down the street. He decided the top priority was the tennis ball and abandoned the mitten.

·
Premium Member
12,860 Posts
Today we managed to snatch half a mile when it wasn't raining too hard - Sophy clung to the sofa and I had to carry her to the car. Then she thought the walk too short and didn't want to come home! Hoping for better weather tomorrow...

Reactions: Dianaleez and Liz

·
Registered
91 Posts
On today's walk it was cloudy and around freezing. We happened upon a pop-up puppy party in the graveyard. 5 other dogs, 3 small adult dogs with one person, a young border collie puppy, and a 7 month old pyrenees/golden cross were having a grand time. Oona got her first short off leash group dog play - she's only had a couple one on one playdates with a neighbor and some very brief (2 second) off leash encounters in puppy class for practicing recall. This was thrilling for her and she did amazingly for 15 mins, including a couple of great checkins and recalls. When we got home she was still a bit wound up but it was adorable. She spent a couple of minutes barking and zooming around the house, almost miming playing and chasing with the other dogs. Then she passed. Out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts