Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little bit random buuuuttt oh well :)

Jazz has a new habit that is fun and cute but can sometimes be a pain. It seems that she is under the impression that she is a toy or a mini poo. In otherwords a lap dog. Ummm no. She is a little on the demanding side when it comes to attention and I don't mind. I taught her it was ok to jump up and "give me a hug" so that I could teach her "off". She's getting good at that, but sometimes forgets to wait for permission to jump up. Anyway back to the lapdog point. Jazz has taken cuddling on the couch to a new extreme. She doesn't just lay her head or part of her body over you, nope she curls up as tight as she can and lays in your lap. At work when we are sitting around waiting on clients and she is out she will jump up with her front feet in your lap and look out the window and be petted and rubbed. We don't mind this. However, in the last week or so she taken this to the next level and started actualy trying to climb up with her back legs and ends up sitting in your lap while you sit in the chair. When she does this she is taller than I am. Today she got excited at work and came running from across the salon and made this flying leap into my lap and sat there. It nearly knocked me off my chair. I might have yelled something along the lines of Holy #@$#[email protected]#% !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My partner was almost on the floor she was laughing so hard. I too found this amusing though I can see what our next training lesson will be on. She jumped into hubby's lap last night on the couch and in her efforts to curl up and make herself fit she stepped on something of his that was... shall we say important. 50 pounds of pressure on *that* didnt look comfortable. The look on his face sure was priceless :)

I am reminded of a pair of standards that I used to groom a few years back. Both were execptionaly sweet and I loved them and their four mini and toy brothers and sister. The owner of these dogs would bring them in one at a time because she couldn't walk them both, "they're just too strong for me when they pull" yeah right I don't think they ever really walked anywhere. The girl spent a lot of time on two legs resting her paws on mommy's arm. The boy spent most of his time balanced on his mommy's hip like a two year old. In fact he would often try and climb up on me after his mommy left and a couple of time I was forced to tote his heavy butt in order to get him to his kennel. Is this perhaps a common thing then? I must say compaired to the tibetans it's strange to me to have 50 pounds of poodle in my lap.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I can't remember how old Jazz is but Casey has recently started the same thing...I think it has a bit to do with jealousy. It was cute at first and great for laughs...as long as it wasn't your lap or chest she pounced on.

I had to put a stop to it totally (NO in stern voice and only her HEAD is allowed in laps now) but that is because I have small children and frankly I am not in love with the idea of a possibly 75 lb lap dog. When she even brings her front feet off the ground around the kids I am all over that...that is a huge accident waiting to happen!

I know that poodles are very smart AND very people oriented...and all of them go through a puppy stage so you have to be stern but somewhat either understanding and/or forgiving.

If you have a small dog in the house that IS a lap dog... she is only showing you how easily she can learn from what she sees other dogs doing.

I bet your girl has a jealousy thing going on...I am not so sure that dogs are not 100% totally without some emotions that humans feel and I bet a certain little bundle of fur is making her feel a bit left out. I bet an extra training session on OFF followed by a long play session would change her over in a few days.

That worked with Casey, but I didn't give her a chance to jump up on me...she did the EXACT SAME THING to my hubby and he said "TRAIN HER OR SHE STAYS IN THE KITCHEN"...along with a few others words that would have made his mom frown!

I bet a few other people have experienced the same things and can give you other ideas!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Sam thinks he is a lap dog too, but he no longer jumps on us. He's just too big to let him get by with that. He does sometimes climb into our laps and loves it, but only when invited. Jenny practically begs to sit in my lap, but even at not even 4 months knows not too unless invited. It shouldn't take anything to get her to stop if you want her too. The first time she takes a flying leap and is intercepted in mid air should be enough, LOL!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jazz is 3 years old, and her previous owner had a housefull of small dogs, pugs and yorkies. I think she was breeding?? The tibetans are small, 9-15 pounds and Wonder puppy is a lap puppy :) This is a behavior that started within a couple of days of getting her. We've had her something like 6-7 weeks? Brought her home on Halloween. Jazz bonded with me very quickly, I was surprised. I am normaly the target of the jumping behavior. We don't allow guest or clients to be jumped on. My hubby and Jazz's auntie clare and Uncle Randall are the other approved to jump "give me a hug" people (if she's invited).

I think though that Our next training session will be on "STOP!" I'm not worried so much about her jumping up, (invited), but I do need to be able to stop her in her tracks. That might have useful this afternoon, if I had realized what she was about to do that is. We also had a very unpleasant incident on Monday where she got loose off the grooming table, (something else she isnt under any cir***stances allowed to do is jump off the grooming table) and proceeded to run all over the house covered in dye and I ran around after her frantic to catch her before her wrapping came off and she rubbed up against the wall or the couch or something. I had visions of huge red smudges on the walls. Nice.

I am fortunate in that she probably wasn't allowed to jump up much and so we don't have a problem with her jumping when people come in and out of the house or at the salon. We had a client come in and saw her sitting in my lap today and thought it was the most awsome thing she'd ever seen to see such a big dog sitting there like that staring out the window.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Ginger was raised with the minis so she thinks she is a lap dog. If I sit on the couch, she will cuddle next to me and her front paws and head are in my lap. IN my chair I only allow the head - also on the bed. T hey try but they know "Off" But they do try - The other day I though Teddy was going to get up on my lap and he is big!! he had his front paws up and was trying to cuddle. Ohhhh the baby! they are so cute aren't they! lol

·
Registered
912 Posts
T jumped up on me tonight whenI got home and his paws very nearly reached my shoulders (they were firmly planted on my collarbones :rofl: and he is not yet 6 months old. He does know off, we say "down you get" and I am still allowing him to do it, probably naughty of me but I love it and he doesn't do it to anyone else (yet!).

He seems to get warm easily so he doesn't look too get right on you when we're cuddling, usually just his head and half a body :smile: My OH still picks him up and makes him sit on his knee sometimes.

·
Registered
255 Posts
My poodle is only 10 lbs, he's a mini....but, we do have an 80 lb boxer that thinks she is a lap dog. She is so sweet and gentle, but I have bruises all over me from where she tries to climb all over me. lol! She doesn't understand why the poodle is in my lap and not her! I think she is finally realizing that she hurts me when she gets on me. (That could probably be because I scream "OOOOOOUUUUUCHHHH" really loud) She jumps down, then gives me a pitiful look as if to apologize. lol She would never hurt me, so I think saying "ouch" helps her to realize that it hurts.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Well...Casey has jumped up on me a few times now in the past week. I have just said NO and pulled a knee up to push her off balance. She doesn't get mad about it, but she has the type of temperament where NOTHING hurts her feelings!

Maybe its an age thing? I know that some say puppies go through an odd separation phase at like @ 10 months old...maybe that is is? Obviously, if its not corrected it would get worse as they age I would guess?

She is also getting up on the couch more to lay beside me...her rear up against my side. I am guessing she must be going through that right now...she has been a bit clingier than usual for her.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts