Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody! A little help please with this problem I've gotten myself into.

So I've been training to heal, and sit when I stop.....of course. And NOW I want to train for confirmation too, so when in the ring I DONT want him to sit when I stop. I don't know how to train for that.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Show in conformation first, then when he's finished, switch gears to obedience training and teach him to sit when you stop. For now, keep him from sitting by teaching him "stand."

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
You can do both. When using you show collar and lead never reward the sit only the stand. Train the stand the same way and at least the same amount but likely MORE than the sit. I would use higher value treats for the show training.
I have a young show dog that so far doesn't really know the sit, but I plan to very soon start getting him into rally.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both.

It's good to know that I can train for both and haven't totally screwed up my dog.

In the beginning I just meant to do obedience. He's already had some classes, earned his star puppy and started on CGC skills, and I've already put in a reservation for another obedience class starting in a couple of weeks so I don't want to halt gears on that. BUT.....I'm excited about maybe doing confirmation too although it wasn't in my original plans. The more I read and learn the more I want to do it. I may never get another chance to try. I've got about 2 1/2 months to get this right.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Look for show handling classes in your area. Not only will they get your dog used to what a show will be sorta like, but the instructor will often be able to give you tips and tricks to help you teach it or show your dog off to the best of its ability.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We've been going to handling practice with the kennel club (mainly just so he'll learn to calm down around other dogs - it's not working LOL).

I did actually practice with them a couple of times and Jess did sit, so last time I just watched since I wasn't considering showing in confirmation and didn't want to distract them from their very serious practice. I didn't ask for tips at the time, but i will this week. :)

I just thought I'd pick your brains as well. We never know who we might be helping when we ask a question. :)

Thank you MysticRealm!!

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
Hey everybody! A little help please with this problem I've gotten myself into.

So I've been training to heal, and sit when I stop.....of course. And NOW I want to train for confirmation too, so when in the ring I DONT want him to sit when I stop. I don't know how to train for that.
Once I had a show dog for a while, in co-owmership, and I was forbidden to make my dog heal or sit when I stopped, until he was finished showing. To me it made sense.

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
It's really pretty antiquated to not teach show dogs to sit. My handler always emphasizes that it is NOT HARD to train a show dog not to sit in the ring, and that the dogs who are simultaneously trained in obedience are the easiest dogs for her to show. So - she recommends training in obedience right alongside conformation. They are smart dogs, they can figure out the difference between heeling and gaiting.

·
Premium Member
22,864 Posts
I agree with Mysticrealm and the others who have said it is entirely possible to do both. I don't show in conformation, but I do train and show in a number of sports. Lily is a good heeler and Javelin is on his way to being a stellar heeler, but I have also worked on tracking with both of them, where they learn that it is desirable to pull like a freight train. The key is to use the tracking harness only for tracking and to have a specific set of "work gear" for each of the things you do. Although everything I do with Lily )other than tracking) is off leash I do have a specific slip lead that I only use when getting into and out of the ring and she knows that she has to stick with me and do as ordered while that lead is off and that she can relax when it goes back on.

Reactions: Summer

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
It is really simple grin after you have taught the stand, stay in ob you remember to tell him stand as you come to a halt in the conformation ring. I actually use STAND in ob ring and STAND PRETTY in conformation ring. The different feel in collar and leash do really tell the dog we are doing this sport. ie Monster flat collar = ob or rally, chain = conformation, harness = nosework.

MANY poodles have earned Total Dog titles by qualifying in OB or Rally for their performance event then winning in the conformation ring IN THE SAME SHOW.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you so much everyone for your encouragement! I'm so happy to hear that others do both. i have really been working with Jessy this week on standing when I stop and I have gotten him a chain collar for those practices. He's doing better. I have been saying "stand" when I stop and he gets it sometimes, which is a joy! (I like "stand pretty" too)

I have a friend who shows Staffordshire Bull Terriors, and she's going to meet me this weekend and give me some pointers too. Of course they won't be poodle specific, but I'm looking forward to general handling tips! Fun times!

Confirmation practice tonight! yay! I'll let you know how it goes. :) Thanks again.

Oh - do you use a clicker or squeeky toy when training for confirmation? Or do you just use treats?

·
Registered
912 Posts
It's really pretty antiquated to not teach show dogs to sit. My handler always emphasizes that it is NOT HARD to train a show dog not to sit in the ring, and that the dogs who are simultaneously trained in obedience are the easiest dogs for her to show. So - she recommends training in obedience right alongside conformation. They are smart dogs, they can figure out the difference between heeling and gaiting.
This has worked for me, first time participant in conformation. With a performance background, the first command that I taught was sit. Then we started conformation classes . . Uh-oh! It ended happily. My boy's stand is just as strong as his sit. Still working on free stacking. There is so much to learn and the pros make it look easy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts