Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[/ATTACH]Okay, the close time for the Poodle Specialty on Feb 21st(which would be the 1st show for Kala and me) is in a couple of hours. I have thought and thought about this and really want to enter BUT

1) I have ZERO help. The person who was helping me is otherwise engaged for the next 6 months, so I only have me and all of you guys.
2) She will be 9 months and in continental which is legal but not seen often(so I will already look like an amateur even before entering the ring/if there was any doubt they will know I am amateur once I enter-lol). However, she will likely be the only spoo bitch in the show. Small state here.
3) I could wait and feel more prepared for a later show, but will I feel the same way every time until I actually go to a show.
4) I have 2 huge mats that I have to get out(one of which is right on her ear) kktrim3.jpg
What to do?

I am going to post a pic of what she looks like now. I am about to bring her jacket up some and I am letting the shaved area grow out some to fix things. The rosettes will also be brought down smaller. Her lead training is going fairly well but we still need a lot of practice.

Attachments

·
Registered
681 Posts
Well, the best way to get better, is to practice. As far as I can tell, most of the poodle exhibitors are the breeders. There is only one that is a pro is Dorinne Higuchi (I think that's her name). If it were me, I might do it. All of the handlers this past week, besides Dorinne, were the breeders. I know, because I talked to all of them about their puppies :lol:

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Hi kala I think if you can get a stacked picture of her it would help. I think her rear looks good. Take some face shots as well.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I agree stacked shots from both sides, frount and back would be helpful :)

I am not sure I would start out with my first show being a specialty, I would find a fun match or two but that's just me.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I agree stacked shots from both sides, frount and back would be helpful :)

I am not sure I would start out with my first show being a specialty, I would find a fun match or two but that's just me.
If its a specialty I say do amateur class, there will be less stress and the judges will be nice and patient

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I'm guessing there aren't may shows where you are, so I would take advantage of the opportunity. JMO and good luck if you decide to go!

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi kala I think if you can get a stacked picture of her it would help. I think her rear looks good. Take some face shots as well.
Ugh. These pictures are not very glamorous. I hate my new camera for one thing but she doesn't look very good in these photos either.

No, there aren't many shows here and will probably be less than 10 poodles in the specialty.

We can take the brutal honesty:)(well, I can but I won't tell Kala) 134.jpg

135.jpg

136.jpg

140.jpg

146.jpg

157.jpg

158.jpg

154.jpg

153.jpg

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
If it were me, I'd wait but if you don't get a lot of opportunities to show then like roxy said go into the ameteur class.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I'm a very competitive person. When I go out to do something, I like to take my very best game. Right now, your bitch is not competitive. She does not have enough hair, her coat is too soft (this will change with age) and her pattern needs to be adjusted. She has some nice qualities. Why not wait and show her off to her best advantage?

If you want practice, stick to fun matches or a handling class.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, both of you are right. I guess I just needed someone to say that I'm not ready. I know I'm not but I am so nervous about the first show that I just want to get it over with-lol. I am in handling classes every Saturday, so I will just continue to do what I am doing and try to keep her hair in one piece. You are right though HarleyChik there are not too many shows here, but I can wait a few months as there will be one when she turns 1. I will keep pics coming as her hair grows and videos of how our handling is going. Sooner or later I am bound to feel at least 90% ready to show. Thanks for all the input! We will defintely be attending the show(but on the sidelines).
:wacko: I guess that means I have to clean house now and I don't have Kala preparation as an excuse for the next few weeks. Darn.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good. Can we talk pattern now?
Absolutely, I am a sponge. I need all the help I can get:)

This is what I think needs adjusting so far:

1) The rosettes are too big(not in fluffiness but in actual surface area)

2) I clipped down the back hocks when I should have left it right above the back hocks.

3) I don't know what to do with the front legs. When I look at pics I can't tell if it is clipped above the bump in the elbow or not. Then the hair right above the elbow-is that supposed to grow over it?

4) I have never dried her well enough to get the rounded chest look, but I also think her hair is no long enough yet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts