Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when some breeders claim to have complete health testing and you go to OFA and can't find it on there what does that mean ? on the website it says complete health testing OFA ..... IMO that is not Gossip its a proven fact at that point !

I wasnt going to jump in on this thread again but this post is still confusing me.
I may be missing something? Are you implying if you do not find someone's health testing results on OFA or posted on their web site it must not be done?
I am just trying to understand what you mean here? Thanks..:confused:

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
So when some breeders claim to have complete health testing and you go to OFA and can't find it on there what does that mean ? on the website it says complete health testing OFA ..... IMO that is not Gossip its a proven fact at that point !

I wasnt going to jump in on this thread again but this post is still confusing me.
I may be missing something? Are you implying if you do not find someone's health testing results on OFA or posted on their web site it must not be done?
I am just trying to understand what you mean here? Thanks..:confused:
No what I meant was.Lets say a breeder claims OFA on their website but when you go to OFA's website and look up their dogs names, they are not listed on OFA.

Hope that makes sense

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No what I meant was.Lets say a breeder claims OFA on their website but when you go to OFA's website and look up their dogs names, they are not listed on OFA.

Hope that makes sense
Ok,yes,I understand what your saying.But,do you understand that just because the "results" are not on OFA web site does not necessarily mean they are not done? Breeders have to pay an extra fee to have them posted,some do not want to pay more money to have it posted.Also, my understanding,is they also do not post prelim results either even though you may have paid the fee and have the report. Also,there are many breeders who do not put there 'personal" info ""reports,results" out there" on a web site for all to see for example but have them all to show for anyone who asks. I'm just saying,because just for an example right now,I have a new web site,still being worked on,my boys OFA prelim is done and OFA GOOD,but if you go to OFA you will not find that,and my "report" is not on my web site either,but I HAVE IT. So,I just think you need to be careful here on these kinds of implications ya know. Allot of people might not understand this and then go think "OH,they say OFA,but are not "ON" OFA,so they must not be done,and that just is not the case many times.Now,if they cannot PRESENT OR SHOW PROOF of the report,then that's a different matter,then I would think it's not done. Hope you see or understand what I'm saying.......

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Ok,yes,I understand what your saying.But,do you understand that just because the "results" are not on OFA web site does not necessarily mean they are not done? Breeders have to pay an extra fee to have them posted,some do not want to pay more money to have it posted.Also, my understanding,is they also do not post prelim results either even though you may have paid the fee and have the report. Also,there are many breeders who do not put there 'personal" info ""reports,results" out there" on a web site for all to see for example but have them all to show for anyone who asks. I'm just saying,because just for an example right now,I have a new web site,still being worked on,my boys OFA prelim is done and OFA GOOD,but if you go to OFA you will not find that,and my "report" is not on my web site either,but I HAVE IT. So,I just think you need to be careful here on these kinds of implications ya know. Allot of people might not understand this and then go think "OH,they say OFA,but are not "ON" OFA,so they must not be done,and that just is not the case many times.Now,if they cannot PRESENT OR SHOW PROOF of the report,then that's a different matter,then I would think it's not done. Hope you see or understand what I'm saying.......
I know what you mean but its IMPOSSIBLE for dogs to have OFA good hips if they are under 24 months. I understand the pre lim thing but some breeders are saying pre lims = clearance for breeding and the said dog is only 1.5 years of age.

I know breeders do not have to put it up on OFA but if you are going to sport the OFA logo on you website stand by it. its not that much to pay extra for them to put that info up......

You can start a OFA thread if you want this has been talked about many times on here. You can check them out through the search engine

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
This probably should be another thread but I am wondering, Moxie, why a breeder would do a test that potential buyers are looking for and not put it on the official web site where people would be going to look for it? It just seems to make sense to me to have it available for those doing their research.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
This probably should be another thread but I am wondering, Moxie, why a breeder would do a test that potential buyers are looking for and not put it on the official web site where people would be going to look for it? It just seems to make sense to me to have it available for those doing their research.
I agree it just make its it easier to just look it up. My only conclusion of breeders not wanting to post is A) they are too cheap to pay an extra fee or B) recieved bad results and does not want the people to see it.

Again this is my opinion lol

OFA is not the only health test out there so I can understand if a breeder used penn hip or something else. that of course will not be posted on OFA

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree it just make its it easier to just look it up. My only conclusion of breeders not wanting to post is A) they are too cheap to pay an extra fee or B) recieved bad results and does not want the people to see it.

Again this is my opinion lol

OFA is not the only health test out there so I can understand if a breeder used penn hip or something else. that of course will not be posted on OFA
Well,yes,I guess I see your point as the fee is a small price to pay to have the results "posted" but also remember,some breeders have allot of dogs,so $12-$15 each dog to post the results can add up fast and this money can be applied maybe for them in better places and show there testing results to any prospective buyer for free. I can only speak for myself,I do plan to post all my results,but just some do not.Also again,as far as I know? Prelims are not posted on OFA,only the finals at age 2 or over. I'm just pointing out that "just because" they are not there,doesnt mean there not done,that's all.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
. I'm just pointing out that "just because" they are not there,doesnt mean there not done,that's all.
Again I understand that but when breeders are breeding dogs young they are already at a bad start so OFA is the last thing I am worried about at that point lol

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'll chime in...
Yes, just because a test is not on the OFA site, does not mean it wasn't done. Take for example... VWD... one day I realized Kia's was not on there so I called them and they said just to send in the results and they'll do it. It was like 2 years after the test. I know it's a bad excuse, but we can forget to do simple things like that.
Also... many breeders don't 'need' to list with OFA... as long as they have the actually official results and give them to the 'potential' buyer.
When breeders have many dogs, they make their decision to pay for it or not. I know it's nice for researching but I do understand that not eveyone does. It doesn't bother me.

When I bred into the beautiful Lemerle line I was given copies of generation after generation of MANY health tests that were preformed. They were not all listed on OFA. All I care about is they were done and results were good.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
My apologies if this seems a bit off but another thread had gone off topic to this subject and I am interested in peoples' opinions on it.

It is about paying to have OFA results posted on their site.

If you pick this up, Moxie, this is what I am asking about:

We aren't doing pre-lims. It cost as much to do a pre-lim at 1 1/2 ($200 per dog) as it cost to have the OFA at 2. That would be $400 in six months time and simply isn't worth the expense. If dogs are being bred intentionally under the age of two, then the pre-lims wouldn't be of any use to me anyway other than to tell me that they are being bred before the results of their hips are known.

Wouldn't you only be doing OFA on the dogs that you are actually breeding rather than all of the dogs at once? This would spread the expense out over time.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
There is a thread in the breeding section on whether to post or not the OFA results.

I will move the discussion to there since it really has nothing to do with pet prices.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Oh, and I think someone mentioned putting the official paperwork of the test on their site. I won't take the chance they can get lifted... who knows today what people can do. See numbers and make copies. I don't trust anyone.
Years ago someone found a picture of my male on a website, as though he was there. Sure, just a picture. But if they could lie about that, what else can they be sneaky about?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong... and trying to figure out your question...
Prelim would be for those who want to be sure their hips are looking good before they spend (any more) money on them ... to show, let's say.
Another reason would be if there was an accidental breeding. (talking stud of course)
I think it's wise in both cases to have it done... in those two cases.
Otherwise, if you are not breeding them yet, you can wait till after 2, as most people do.

Did that answer your question? :)

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I'll chime in...
Yes, just because a test is not on the OFA site, does not mean it wasn't done. Take for example... VWD... one day I realized Kia's was not on there so I called them and they said just to send in the results and they'll do it. It was like 2 years after the test. I know it's a bad excuse, but we can forget to do simple things like that.
Also... many breeders don't 'need' to list with OFA... as long as they have the actually official results and give them to the 'potential' buyer.
When breeders have many dogs, they make their decision to pay for it or not. I know it's nice for researching but I do understand that not eveyone does. It doesn't bother me.

When I bred into the beautiful Lemerle line I was given copies of generation after generation of MANY health tests that were preformed. They were not all listed on OFA. All I care about is they were done and results were good.
I think I am not explaining what I meant correctly. I have no problems with breeders not posting OFA info, again their are other places to get the tests done. My problem is breeders LYING and saying their dogs are fully tested and are OFA hips .when its impossible to do so on a young dog.hips can change by the time they turn 2 years ofa understands this hence the pre lims

I did not make my self clear in my first posting about OFA :)

So I hope you guys are not confused now hahahah

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
OK! Got it, Roxy! I did think you were talking about saying you had OFA's without them being listed on their site to prove it.

Yes, if there was an accidental breeding, as we were worried may have happened here, then I would do the pre-lim for sure. I can see doing a pre-lim on a show dog to decide if you are going to go ahead with its show career.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Prelims are NOT official hip scores. Breeding on prelims alone is not best breeding practices.

Posting results on OFA benefits the entire Poodle community since it helps people research lines. OFA requires official proof before they post anything so it is a clearing house that says, "My tests are valid." $12 is not very much to pay for this service. If a breeder has so many dogs that a $12 fee becomes burdensome, then they need to scale back the number of dogs they have.

Yes, sometimes breeders don't list some tests. I myself never got around to listing VWBs or Thyroid on Sabrina although those tests were run and passed (thyroid twice). However, listing at least hips and eyes is the gold standard of good breeding. Ideally, all testing would be listed and this is going to be my goal as I go forward as a breeder.

Test scores are not personal information. Anyone worried about having tests posted publicly, should probably not get into breeding. The very best breeders let all aspects of their breeding program see the light of day.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Thank you for your input, Cbrand. That is the direction in which I was thinking and you stated it very well. That is a small price to pay for tests results that are easily accessible to the public.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I think I am not explaining what I meant correctly. I have no problems with breeders not posting OFA info, again their are other places to get the tests done. My problem is breeders LYING and saying their dogs are fully tested and are OFA hips .when its impossible to do so on a young dog.hips can change by the time they turn 2 years ofa understands this hence the pre lims
THAT IS MY PROBLEM TOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!! LYING !!!!! Lying if it was done and what was done !!!!!!! :fish: Not only OFA hips- but CERF TOO - the cheapest test that there is - WHYYYYYYYYYYY ???? : (((((

I agree with Cbrand - seeing at least those 2 posted on the official site woulld make a big difference !!!!

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
How about acting indignant when you ask for test results? That happened to me at least twice by breeders that haven't done testing. That is just something I cannot stand. If you didn't do the testing, admit you didn't do it so that I don't waste my time with you anymore. Don't act like me asking is something unheard of and like I have no right.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts