Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When is your dog's last pee of the night, and has it shifted as they grew up?

Lately, Oona (almost 4 months) is reluctant to get up and come outside for her last pee, usually around 10:30 pm. She gets taken out after kid bedtime, before we settle down to work or watch tv, around 8:30-9. When we go to bed, she has to get up from wherever she is snoozing to go in her crate anyway, so waking up will still have to happen, but going out in the cold and snow when she's sleepy might be part of her reluctance. I get it, Oona. I would also prefer not to go out into the cold snowy night after falling asleep rewatching old episodes of The Office.

Do you think a 9 pm "last pee" would be ok? I fear if we skip the (late) last pee, we'll be paying for it on the other end (or in the middle of the night). She usually sleeps from 10:30-ish until around 7 am and has not had any crate accidents except once when she had a UTI.

·
Registered
7,601 Posts
At 4 months I would keep making her go outside as late as possible to get as much sleep as possible. I would not change anything in her routine if it’s working well. She’s still a very young puppy.

·
Registered
849 Posts
You're close to being "done" with the sucky part of potty training. There's light at the end of the tunnel, you're almost there. From 18-22 weeks Basil's bladder got noticably more control to hold it through the night and we were pushing 3-4 hours betwen pee's during the day. You're probably pretty in sync with Oona's bladder. You might be able to push 9:00pm. Try to be aware of her salt intake after your last pee if you take her out at 9:00pm since salt treats make puppy thirsty (so take away bully sticks, pig ears, yak sticks, you get it..) so your fur baby has a better chance of holding it.

To be safe, I would stick to the regular schedule for another few weeks if possible. I think the general advice is that around 6 months you can take your foot off the pedal a little.

·
Super Moderator
2,721 Posts
Do you think a 9 pm "last pee" would be ok? I fear if we skip the (late) last pee, we'll be paying for it on the other end (or in the middle of the night). She usually sleeps from 10:30-ish until around 7 am and has not had any crate accidents except once when she had a UTI.
Does she consistently pee when you take her out? She's on the edge, but I do think your gut feeling is correct. You probably will find her waking early if you skip the last outing.

·
Super Moderator
9,055 Posts
It may actually be the short time between those two evening potties that's tripping her up a bit. What's her schedule like the rest of the day? Does she still have to go out every hour or two?

If so, I'd leave things as-is for now. But eventually you'll probably want to lose the 9pm outing. If I took Peggy out at 9 and then again at 10:30, she'd probably just stand there.

Peggy's last outing (since she began sleeping through the night) has pretty consistently been between 10 and 11. If she doesn't go at that time, and I'm staying up late, I'll let her out again once more before I go to bed.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
I've always given my poos the opportunity for a last pee before going to bed, if the previous outing was over 30m past. My boys are now 3.5 years old. In their case, we've got the P on Command trained with them, started that training from day one, so I know if they fuss during the night (their condos are in our bedroom) it's for another reason.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does she consistently pee when you take her out? She's on the edge, but I do think your gut feeling is correct. You probably will find her waking early if you skip the last outing.
She always pees a little at 10:30 last pee (though not right away especially if she was really sleepy). But lately she asks to go out during the day in order to mess around instead of peeing right away a couple of times a day. We are in a weird transition where she is used to getting taken out every hour/hour and half but doesn't always need to go, but then a few times when we've pushed it because it's only been an hour, she disappears around the corner and we find a puddle. I think I will keep the last pee despite her reluctance, and try to build in a little more structure to her days to help her know when to expect to go out. I'm glad we got the worst of potty training done before the worst of the winter.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It may actually be the short time between those two evening potties that's tripping her up a bit. What's her schedule like the rest of the day? Does she still have to go out every hour or two?

If so, I'd leave things as-is for now. But eventually you'll probably want to lose the 9pm outing. If I took Peggy out at 9 and then again at 10:30, she'd probably just stand there.

Peggy's last outing (since she began sleeping through the night) has pretty consistently been between 10 and 11. If she doesn't go at that time, and I'm staying up late, I'll let her out again once more before I go to bed.
If she's awake, she's asking to go out every hour or so, but lately a handful of those outings are more for messing around than for immediate potty needs (though she usually does go after I "remind" her again why we are there). I don't give her much of an opportunity mess around that for long if she doesn't pee, but I think it's because the crappier weather has meant that we spend less time hanging out in the yard and she's missing that, plus she's transitioning between needing to go every hour and sometimes being able to go longer, but still used to us taking her out at those regular times. The tricky thing about the 8:30/9 pee is that post-kid bedtime and pre-settling down to watch TV or work is an opportunity to take her out when she's up and hanging out with us because of the activity, and she would probably be asking to go out if we didn't. Once we are reliably at 2+ hours during the day, I'll try cutting out the 9 PM pee.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
My dogs go out for the last time at 8-8:30 pm and sleep till 5:30-6 AM. Our shih tzu puppy is now a little over 4 months and he can hold it thru the night. He also has had his water available from day 1. Now there are exceptions now and then, like having forgotten to fill the water bowl tie late and him drinking more than normal because of it, then he gets taken out later or will cry to go out. My dogs also all go on command. If I were to stay up later for any reason then of course they would go out again. If I go to bed -they go to bed, if not then they expect me to take them out. LOL Just what works here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts