Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard that waiting 2 years to fix a male Spoo is preferable. To allow proper filling out, and temperament, I would like to know if any members have had a male fixed early, and a male fixed late, and what are the major differences? Pros and cons?

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
22,337 Posts
Lily is spayed, but our two male dogs are intact and likely to stay that way barring medical reasons to neuter. I do think that waiting until the dog is skeletally mature is wise, but overall see much less evidence of clear cut health benefits to neutering as are apparent when spaying.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
If you don't have any problems with behavior, I would wait until he is 2 years old. I neutered my boy at 15 mos. because he was marking and overly aggressive with other dogs. Within a week of neutering, there was no marking in the house and diminished marking on walks, plus a big change in attitude toward other dogs--for the better.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
I had a male boston terrier a long time ago, neutered around 6 months. His father was so impressive and muscular (intact) but my puppy (his son) turned put to be very slim and lanky, with no muscle almost. Never again. Males need testosterone to develop into their muscular adult shape.

You can find articles about it. Males also turn out taller than they should when neutered early.

·
Registered
586 Posts
mine was neutered at 9 months, this was about 3 weeks ago. it wasnt much behavioural for him, but medical reasons. after neutering, he did mark less, he only marks outside so i wasnt concerned. before he was neutered, i do find he was starting to get interested in girls, all his play mates have been spayed girls but he just wants to hump them. he doesnt hump them anymore. i also found him to be cuddlier, he was cuddly before but now he seems just want to be super close to us. his recall is so much better!

physically, too early to tell for changes. but he havent gain any weight or inches since he was 6 months old so i thought it was ok to have him neutered. he is still the same weight and i dont find his eating habit has changed.

but if i have a spoo, i'd want to neuter close to 2 years old.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts