Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My head is spinning with the pros and cons of neutering. And if I neuter do I go to the vet (really expensive) or to a low cost clinic/ humane society? My pups almost a year old and he's a big toy. Interested in hearing what you did or will do, regardless of the size of your poodle.

·
Premium Member
6,418 Posts
I have done what I have done for years, and purchased a low cost neuter/spay certificate from Friends of Animals a neuter for $64, a spay is $72. I did pay for pre-surgical blood work roughly $100. My vet does take these certificates. I don't know if this program or a similar is available to you.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I found this article informative: https://www.parsemus.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/kustritz_optimal_age_gonadectomy.pdf

It weighs the pros and cons of spaying/neutering, and the difference it makes depending on age. It is still a big decision to make. But maybe it could help you decide.

Edit: As for the vet vs low cost clinic... It depends. I have heard that low cost clinics have such a high volume of patients that they're very good at the procedures they offer, at least where I am. Vet's don't do nearly the amount of surgeries that clinics do, but if you feel that your vet is incredible and maybe specializes as a surgeon, it may be worth the cost to go to them for more peace of mind or a more personal experience.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Definitely in favor of spaying/neutering around 1 year of age. Have never had an intact dog long-term and most likely never will.

I would absolutely recommend a low-cost clinic. Only reason I couldn't with the spoos is that they had prophylactic gastropexies done while they were spayed/neutered. I've had many adopted and foster dogs have their surgery at low cost clinics, though, and not one problem. Most important thing is to insist on good pain control medications.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Great article, Spoochi. I also wanted to add that for some reason I was terrified to have Frosty neutered, despite the fact that I've been through this so many times. My friends convinced me he would be absolutely fine, and sure enough, he was.

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
I neuter at about 18 months and spay at 13 months.

I think a low-cost clinic is better than not sterilizing your animal. But personnally I feel more at ease doing it at my own vet.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I don't know if this is true, but I've heard spay and neuter clinics have less 'monitoring' during their procedures, so when everything is going fine (which is most of the time) that's fine, but if things go wrong there are less people to monitor/help. Again, this is only what I have heard, so take it with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
We chose to neuter our two mini boys, not long after their 1st birthday. We chose to go with the vet since they also had a tech to monitor thru the procedure and after. We did the pre-op bloodwork but didn't have the IV cath placed for emergency administration of meds. We hoped that having the additional tech to monitor would reduce any need to do ER drugs, but if there should be a next time for anesthesia, I'll do that too. The vet also used a quick-reversing type of anesthetic.

I haven't looked again for the studies, but the suggestion is that higher risk for animal anesthesia is associated with the lack of monitoring.

Any clinic, low cost or not, that will offer the options to reduce risk is a clinic I would consider.

Reactions: SMSP

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
I also did the low cost spay...........our SDHS has a list of clinics that participate in the programs and there is a mobile 'Neuter Scooter' bus that goes into neighborhoods around the city. I was really happy with Molly's ......they even pulled her loose baby teeth out for free! LOL! (I was worried at first because she only weighed 5lbs so I made sure they were using halothane ) I had no worries about monitoring as there were several vet aides to do that post surgery, and a CVT in the surgery to monitor the anesthesia.

Reactions: SMSP

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MollyMuiMa:

...they even pulled her loose baby teeth out for free!
That is my concern... if he has retained baby teeth that they won't be pulled. My vet said the only way to really assess the back areas is when he's under anesthesia. He doesn't have any visible retained front ones. On the low cost clinic websites there is no mention of dental work. I'd be willing to pay for it, if it is needed.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Well if it helps I just had Renn neutered. It was done by my vet, who did pre bloodwork, microchipped and I had him shorten his nails a bit more (minor). Plus 3 days of pain medication. The entire cost was just under $250. My vet also called the following day to check how he was and to go over once again anything that might concern me. I have had this done many many times on dogs during my lifetime but I have also been a basket case over Renn. His skin around his incision and scout was very very red but not swollen for day 1 and 2 and that made me so nervous. But yesterday the inflammation went away and today (day 4) it looks very good. I can now keep his crown (cone) off while he is tethered to me and only put it on at night when I crate him. Two weeks before his neuter he decided he does not really like his crate anymore and with a cone on he hates it. Although it is a 48 inch crate I think he is no longer comfortable sleeping in it as he likes to stretch out, then sleep in all kinds of positions. I am toying with the idea of allowing him to sleep with me once he is healed but then again I worry that he will get into some wires or something while I'm asleep. Well another week before that decision is made. And I like my vet and trust him so that was an easy decision.

·
Premium Member
22,990 Posts
Our boys are intact and will remain so unless there is a medical reason to neuter. Lily is spayed and her surgery was at our regular vet. I think this is a cost that has to be built into one's planning for getting a puppy. Even at a regular vet's office it was a small cost compared to some of the things you can end up having to take care of.

Reactions: SMSP and SpooChi

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Well if it helps I just had Renn neutered. It was done by my vet, who did pre bloodwork, microchipped and I had him shorten his nails a bit more (minor). Plus 3 days of pain medication. The entire cost was just under $250. My vet also called the following day to check how he was and to go over once again anything that might concern me. I have had this done many many times on dogs during my lifetime but I have also been a basket case over Renn. His skin around his incision and scout was very very red but not swollen for day 1 and 2 and that made me so nervous. But yesterday the inflammation went away and today (day 4) it looks very good. I can now keep his crown (cone) off while he is tethered to me and only put it on at night when I crate him. Two weeks before his neuter he decided he does not really like his crate anymore and with a cone on he hates it. Although it is a 48 inch crate I think he is no longer comfortable sleeping in it as he likes to stretch out, then sleep in all kinds of positions. I am toying with the idea of allowing him to sleep with me once he is healed but then again I worry that he will get into some wires or something while I'm asleep. Well another week before that decision is made. And I like my vet and trust him so that was an easy decision.
very easy to keep them from getting into something when sleeping with you. <ine are toys so I lift them in and out of bed. The one that did jump I trained them up down and stay so they never got out of bed. If they have to potty they will either scratch me of whine, Never had one get out of bed before me or do anything in the bed

·
Premium Member
22,990 Posts
She was spayed early (around 8 months). Since Peeves is about the same age as she is and he was going to remain intact I opted to spay before her first heat so that their relationship wouldn't be altered by her seeing her as attractive for mating. Had that not been a consideration I would have waited until at least after her first heat cycle.

Reactions: SpooChi

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thanks! I'm still trying to figure out whether I'd like to spay our future pup before or after her first heat. Though Cherie did mention she usually suggests before, I am still considering after. She also said that she welcomes her puppy buyers to make their own decisions, which I am so thankful for. I have lots of time to do more research though.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
twyla:

Retained teeth are hard not to notice, this is Lenny's shark mouth
Thank you sooooo much for posting that pic! Never seen a pic of retained "shark" teeth. Plus was baffled on how to get Rocky to open his mouth wide - appreciate your hand position.

He did have a retained deciduous puppy tooth (which at the time, I didn't know it was a puppy tooth) but it has since fell out. Will check the back teeth.

·
Registered
477 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,418 Posts
Twyla, my goodness! I have never seen such a thing. Are these old pics or does he still have them? So white and shiny...

I should say I did have a child with a few retained teeth, but Lenny has her beat.
Leonard had them removed when he was neutered at 8 1/2 months, generally the smaller the toy the more likely they retain teeth. However it was the most retained teeth my vet ever saw.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts