Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a breeder who wants me to pick my pup the first week they are born if I don’t want my puppy getting a docked tail. I don’t feel like it’s right to dock tails so I asked him if he would leave it undocked. He said he would but I would have to choose my puppy early. I wanted to see the puppies temperaments before I chose one to see if we vibe. I’m not sure if I’m making the correct decision by doing this. Should I just go ahead and let him dock them all and eventually choose my puppy based on personality? Or choose a random puppy by appearance?

·
Premium Member
24,103 Posts
If all else sits right with you with this breeder I would let them go ahead and dock the whole litter so you can choose based on temperament. In my book temperament matters over the tail and dewclaws. When a vet or breeder does dewclaw removal or tail docking at 2 or 3 days of age the puppies are pretty neurologically underdeveloped and generally don't seem to notice much, but if you pick at random when they are born you might end up with a puppy who is not well matched to your expectations and life style. Many people would not have had much tolerance for either of my dogs as puppies since I chose them for their very high drive personalities. I wanted dogs that would be smart and happy to work and learn some really complicated things with resilience. My regular vet who is a poodle person says he has never met a poodle like Lily in terms of energy and desire to work. He doesn't know Javelin so well between the vet being out for months with Lyme disease a couple of years ago and now them being emergency only for months because of COVID but he can sort of make Lily look pretty laconic. Thankfully they have good off switches, but you need to make them work to be able to hit those switches.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I agree tail docking is purely cosmetic and there is no reason to do it if the dog will not be shown in conformation. I think you should let them all be docked and choose yours later.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree with y’all, temperament is more important. I just don’t want a weird looking stub tail. I’ll talk to my breeder and let him know i changed my decision

·
Registered
836 Posts
I agree with y’all, temperament is more important. I just don’t want a weird looking stub tail. I’ll talk to my breeder and let him know i changed my decision
If you are worried that they will dock the tail too short (weirdly), you should discuss that with them and ensure that they know how to properly dock a poodle tail. It should not be a "stub". If they do not know how to dock a poodle tail to the correct length, I would not get a puppy from them, as that would tell me they are not people who are knowledgeable about the breed, or who care enough to find out how the tail should be docked. They should be taking off approximately one third of the length.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you are worried that they will dock the tail too short (weirdly), you should discuss that with them and ensure that they know how to properly dock a poodle tail. It should not be a "stub". If they do not know how to dock a poodle tail to the correct length, I would not get a puppy from them, as that would tell me they are not people who are knowledgeable about the breed, or who care enough to find out how the tail should be docked. They should be taking off approximately one third of the length.
I’m pretty sure they won’t dock it short. I’m just being dramatic! I’ve seen their previously litters and it’s the correct length. The sire and the dame also have correct length. I just feel some type of way about the tails

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Tail docking is done at 2 or 3 days of age before the puppy's nervous system is very developed. Dew claws are removed at the same time. I agree that tail docking is cosmetic, but dew claw removal prevents torn/broken dew claws later in life, a very painful injury. I have docked tails on lots of puppies in the past - many of them did not even squeak. They are much more likely to cry when the dew claws are removed.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I felt sad about getting a puppy with a docked tail because I philosophically believe it is better not to chop bits off of living creatures for non-medical reasons. However, I quickly discovered that to get the dog I wanted in the US I was going to have to accept a docked tail.

Just the other day my husband and I were confiding our secrets to one another, and discovered we shared the same secret: we guiltily love her docked tail. Haha. I still wish the Poodle Club of America would change the breed standard to allow for undocked as well as docked tails. I think it’s time for tail diversity.
9C82A5E0-ED4C-4B79-9FFC-016D5A98CBEF.jpeg

·
Registered
983 Posts
Thank you, Johanna! I do like the length and all she expresses with that tail.

I know your girl is small, so is Violet. At 12 months she weighs 11 lbs and is approximately 13”. Her breeder guessed she would top out at 13 lbs. I’m beginning to think it will be less than that. It’s hard to imagine her gaining more than another 0.5-1 lb. We will see what the next year brings.

I am curious to know what your spay/neuter requirements are when you sell puppies to a pet home, and your thoughts on ovary-sparing spays for mini poodles. Do you mind sharing? I have no experience of bitches in heat and so it seems like such a mystery. It makes it difficult to make a decision.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts