Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So... Snoops and I spent a few days in New Orleans. We had a great time! We also never expected that he would find a girlfriend.. what luck!

As you all may know, Snoops is due to be neutered this Wednesday. I have felt really torn about this.. not only because I am worried for the little guy, but also because I feel so bad about taking away his "manhood".
I've never really thought about breeding him... but this weekend we met the perfect little girl named Dee.

What are the pro's and con's to this? If I breed him once, then have him neutered how will this affect him, if any?

If anyone has any comments or suggestions, I would love to hear from you!

As for Dee, she is a light tiny toy apricot poodle, about 5lbs, just had her first heat and will be in heat again in another month. She seemed to have a great attitude and gentle disposition..

We just happened to run into her at a dog friendly restaurant in the French Quarter.. the place was great! Dogs are actually allowed INSIDE the restaurant :) Hooray!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Snoops is adorable and so is Dee, but I don't quite understand the reason you want to breed. I don't mean to be a snob, but the only reason to breed (in my opinion) is to improve the said breed. If I ever bred, I would first want to show and champion my dog, do all the required health testing to make sure I am not breeding potential health problems and only then breed.

Also, with Dee being only 5 lbs she might have problems delivering the litter of puppies and might require c-section. Would you and the co-breeder be prepaired for that kind of expense?

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Snoops is adorable and so is Dee, but I don't quite understand the reason you want to breed. I don't mean to be a snob, but the only reason to breed (in my opinion) is to improve the said breed. If I ever bred, I would first want to show and champion my dog, do all the required health testing to make sure I am not breeding potential health problems and only then breed.

Also, with Dee being only 5 lbs she might have problems delivering the litter of puppies and might require c-section. Would you and the co-breeder be prepaired for that kind of expense?

I agree , i also do not believe in just breeding because you have a intacted dog. I would only breed the dog if health test or had some kind of title to prove its of breeding stock.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I don't breed, but here are some things I've been told about stud dogs:

they mark
more likely to fight with other males
more likely to hump
aren't as affectionate with their owners

I don't know how true those are, but I wouldn't risk it, unless I was serious about breeding. Also, contrary to popular belief, neutering doesn't solve all behavior problems after they've become habit.

You also have to worry about brucellosis (sp?) and injury during breeding. I've been told it's not a good idea to breed two inexperienced dogs together either.

Of course you also have to worry about C-sections, possible death of the mother and/or pups and passing along genetic defects. With all the poodles in need of homes, I don't see any reason to bred any poodle, unless they are a true asset to the breed. Yes your boy is adorable and sweet, but so are many of those homeless dogs.

The main reason, I decided not to breed my dog was b/c I didn't want to be responsible for finding them good homes. How would you know you weren't selling a pup to a puppymill? Since you don't own the female, this would be even more difficult and those millers can be really convincing. What if the new puppy owners don't care for the pups properly? What if one of the pups gets sick? What if their kid/niece/nephew/grandchild accidently hurts the pup? I have a friend who had one litter of pugs. One of the pups developed parvo after going to his new home. His new owners were longtime family friends she thought she could trust, but they wouldn't/didn't take the pup to the vet. She ended up taking the pup back and payed for the treatment herself. Parvo treatment isn't cheap and there's no guarantee the pup will survive. Plus she ended up with an extra dog she didn't plan on.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks for all the replies.. I love poodle forum! I can always count on everyone here...

It's not that I am interested to become a breeder, nor am I on a quest to "create" a perfect specimen... honestly, I just want Snoops to have a "natural" experience that I think every boy should have at least once in their life...

My boyfriend and I are discussing the pro's and con's, and of course.. take into consideration what everyone here in PF have to say. I will need to speak with Dee's owner more in length...

I've expressed a concern about Dee's size - I do realize that C-sections and problems could crop up. We live in 2 different states, so I would need to be sure that Dee's owner is prepared for this. It seems a relative or close friend of his is a breeder (that's where Dee came from).

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
If I ever bred, I would first want to show and champion my dog, do all the required health testing to make sure I am not breeding potential health problems and only then breed.
I agree with poodle lover... I wouldn't breed any dog that hasn't been shown, championed (if that's even a word!?!) and health tested. There are just too many dogs without homes already... and if you're going to spread the breed's genes... it should only be the best of the best.
Besides, I would never breed my dog to anyone's dog I've just randomly met somewhere.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just wanted to add that she will not be in Heat in the next month. More like 4-5 months. Also (no offense) but you have no idea what that dog has. Brucellosis is scary. Plus Toy poodles need to be have many things tested. You wouldn't want to be responsible for a toy poodle(s) in pain due to luxating patellas or blind due to progressive retinal atrophy. Think about it, if Snoops were your furless child would you want him sleeping with something he found in a bar in New Orleans?:eek::questionmark: It is not all about *the perfect poodle* but a HEALTHY poodle

http://www.caninehealthinfo.org/brdreqs.html?breed=PO+&variety=TOY

Some symptoms of brucellosis that may manifest themselves and are not gender related are:
Arthritis, disc disease (paralysis sometimes occurs), fever, hind limb weakness, lethargy, decreased tolerances to exercise. Dry dull coats, swelling of the lymph nodes, eye inflammation.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Think about it, if Snoops were your furless child would you want him sleeping with something he found in a bar in New Orleans?:eek::questionmark: It is not all about *the perfect poodle* but a HEALTHY poodle
Hahahaha! :lol: Ok.. that statement put it all in perspective!

Everyone has made extremely valid points.. thanks to all for being so honest. This is the stuff that I need to hear. If anyone else has their 2 cents to add, I would love to hear more opinions.

Snoops is disappointed.. he was so close. I guess I will take him to Build-a-Bear to cheer him up... :)

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
LOL! About the build-a-bear LOL!! You love him so much I can tell, and take it from me...listen to poodle lover and all the others advising against it. I have toys as well and are so many people out there breeding their dogs and have done NO genetic testing on them. It would hurt you to know that if you breed him and even one of his pups presented with a problem that could have been prevented by testing and altering, I get the feeling you would feel horrible. Plus the risk to him as well for the problems he can get from her if she is not tested. Neutering is also the best way to protect Snoops from getting testiclular cancer, it really is healthier for him if he is not tested.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I agree with everyone, but the only thing I have to comment on is "taking away his manhood". Dogs don't notice that sort of thing, sure, after his surgery he'll notice something is different, but he certainly won't go 'oh no! I'm ruined!'
We have a ton of customers that come into the store saying they won't neuter their dog because they think it takes away from his masculinity. The dog will still be the same dog afterwards he just won't be as susceptible to cancer and may even be better behaved.
So really, don't let that thought hold you back.

·
Registered
210 Posts
This is kinda of funny..30 years ago my mother had toys and one 'looked' perfect he was black and real pretty but he was a demon, acted horrible!!! anyhoo someone begged her to breed and she had no idea what she was getting into knew nothing. I guess she was shocked LOL!! She did get a puppy out of the mating but she never breed them after that.

I wouldn't do it just because the male can be hurt in the process. My toy is fixed and he still has his 'maleness'. Never acted different that I could tell. I will be getting the spoo fixed asap too.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I agree with everyone's remarks. I think thought should go into the purchasing of possible breeders so as to be sure you are getting both loving companions and healthy, breedable animals. I think that breeding should be done to produce good breed specimens with knowledge towards the health concerns of the specific breed. I do not necessarily think that the dog(s) need to be champions but that they should be of good lineage and have health testing done and preferably some type of "showing" to show their mental health, be it in breed, obedience, agility and having their Canine Good Citizen Cert. There are too many people who breed without care of researching their dog(s) and thus can end up with puppies that will have health issues early in their lives. I don't think it fair to the poor pups to have to be brought into the world this way. Also, without testing on both parents, diseases, as mentioned, could be passed from one to the other, and that is scary!

I have a toy (a little over sized) poodle that was gotten specifically as a pet, he was born with two toes missing on one hind foot and has an undershot jaw. I knew this when I got him and was prepared to do what was needed if he needed any tooth pulled if they interfered with his jaw.. luckily they do not and vet said they will be fine... and I got him neutured as soon as I could, I believe he was between 4-5 months old at the time. He was gotten to go to the nursing home with my sister and I to visit our mother who is in there with Alzheimer's, actually, she was the one who fell in love with the pup and I decided to get him so she could see him when we went there. His personality was, and is, perfect for this! And, I can tell you, he does NOT miss his male parts or his maleness... lol. He is a joy to have around, is quite a character, LOVES to play with the spoos and holds his own with them, is wonderful to take to the nursing home. He MISSES NOTHING about being neutered. So don't feel that your boy with feel like he lost out with getting neutered, he will not miss it at all. It is only in your mind that you feel this way, the dog does not "think" as we humans do and thus will not be thinking how he missed out on anything. In fact, you will find that he is a better, more loving friend, and will not mark your house later on. I, personally, would not breed him and would just enjoy him for the loving friend that he is.

This is Jester, my toy, and, as you can see, he misses out on nothing in life!!!! :) Your boy will not miss "them" either...and he will not ever think he missed out on "his only chance"...lol. I have some pics of him sleeping in my husband's lap in the house but not here at this point. I can tell you, though, that before I got him neutered he was constantly mounting the other dogs and even tried it on my leg a couple times... neutering him cured that desire.

Attachments

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
JestersMom - your Jester is so adorable... thanks for your thoughts on the matter.

As for Snoops, I know that he comes from superb lineage, he has relatives who are CKC champions, etc...
As for Dee.. you are all right - I don't know much about her.
Without having health tests done, we don't know.

I feel a bit ignorant coming on here and asking about breeding... but I did find out the info I needed to know.

I had postponed Snoops' neuter, but I am about to book him in for Thursday.
If anything, I hope the neuter will help him settle down with the humping.. he is always "attacking" his "big sister" Socks (poor girl). I haven't had any troubles with him being aggressive or marking territory in the home.. he's been pretty well behaved on that front.

Now I know I am perhaps being ridiculous.. but has anyone ever used Neuticles? Any thoughts on that?
http://www.neuticles.com
:thinking: :)

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I feel a bit ignorant coming on here and asking about breeding... but I did find out the info I needed to know.
No, I don't think you should feel ignorant at all about asking. You did the right thing, you checked into the matter first to see people's opinions. That is NOT ignorant, that is being a good dog owner and checking on things first.

As far as his humping problems, I am sure you will be happy with getting him neutered as that will cut that down, he will probably continue for a short time after the neuter as it takes a while for the testosterone to get out of the system, it is not instant once the "parts" are removed, but it will curb that a lot. He may still attempt it occasionally but just tell him "off" or "leave it", whatever you prefer, when he does and all of a sudden you will realize he is not doing it anymore. It took Jester about 3 weeks after his neuter and all of a sudden I realized he wasn't bothering the girls anymore.

BEST OF LUCK with your sweet boy!

·
Registered
210 Posts
I wouldn't feel bad about posting...it's something we all think about about becuase we love our pets and think they would produce other great puppies. I didn't know what all went into breeding until I started looking for my spoo. The cream was funny LOL! I would never have thought....

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well, I just got off the phone with the vet and Snoops is going in on Tuesday morning. He has been trying to hump Socks all day... Such a little horn dog! Then he did something terrible... He approached Socks as she lay there quietly, Snoops lifted his leg and marked Socks as his territory! Wow! That's one way to make the whole boyfriend/girlfriend thing official.... What happened to giving a bouquet of flowers, or letting her wear your jacket... LOL! Chivalry is dead...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts