Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background..... I give all my own vaccines and I follow Dr. Dodds vaccine protocol for Parvo/Distemper : 8 weeks, 12 weeks, 1 year.

I just heard from Izze's new owner. She had a titer run because she was concerned that Izze might need to be vaccinated again. At 3 years, Izzy is still fully covered even though she has not been vaccinated for Parvo/Distemper since she turned a year old.

Just something to think about if you are doing yearly vaccinations!

·
Registered
681 Posts
I wish titer tests weren't so expensive! We paid $200 for the rabies titer test when we moved back to Hawaii, but it was required so we paid it.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Thank you sooo much Cbrand for this post !!!!!

Do you have a link, perhaps, to your favorite vaccination protocol :) !!!

Do you know how much it costs to do a titer test ???

You are , as always, the source of great information and education here :):):)

Thanks for sharing it all with us !!!!!

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I've always thought dogs are overvaccinated. We don't vaccinate ourselves as much as we do our animals.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Titers really need to come down in price, I agree.

cbrand, what do you do about rabies?

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Titers really need to come down in price, I agree.

cbrand, what do you do about rabies?
Rabies you have to do by law. My friend in CA let her dog's rabies lapse. Three months later, her dog got into a fight with a rabid skunk. Animal control gave her two options: put the dog down or put it in quarantine for six months (cost $3600). They would not accept titers or a vet's recommendation that the dog serve home quarantine.

$3600 and six months later, they got their dog back.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Rabies you have to do by law. My friend in CA let her dog's rabies lapse. Three months later, her dog got into a fight with a rabid skunk. Animal control gave her two options: put the dog down or put it in quarantine for six months (cost $3600). They would not accept titers or a vet's recommendation that the dog serve home quarantine.

$3600 and six months later, they got their dog back.
I wasn't sure if that law varied state by state, thanks.
What a tragic (and expensive!) story for your friend.
Honestly home quarentine would have more than sufficed.
I feel for your poor friend.

We've let people do home quarentine on dog bite cases, but we require 'rabies exams' during the course of isolation...to make sure the dog isn't showing symptoms (they never are) and to make sure the owner is following protocol. The exams are state mandated, and I have to send a certified/notarized letter to the health department at the end of the ordeal.

·
Registered
681 Posts
In Hawaii, the rabies vaccine is not required because it's a rabies-free state, but to import a dog (if it's not from Australia, Guam or Great Britain) you have to do a rabies titer and a 120 day quarantine. If your dog doesn't pass that test, then they have to do a month to six month quarantine at the quarantine station PLUS re-doing the titer every two weeks. However, because we live in military housing we have to have all shots, regardless of state laws.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I do the titers test on Finny. It is very expensive but to me it so worth it. I don't like to vaccinated if I don't have to. My Bella had AIHA when she was about 1 yr so she has never had a shot since then.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do the titers test on Finny. It is very expensive but to me it so worth it. I don't like to vaccinated if I don't have to. My Bella had AIHA when she was about 1 yr so she has never had a shot since then.
I don't think you need to run titers every year. Most research shows that that the puppy vaccine protocol: 8 weeks, 12 weeks, 1 year protects dogs well through their 7th year.

BTW.... for everyone reading this.... in most states, rabies vaccines must be administered by a licensed vet.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
We get so many confused new puppy owners that tell us "But the breeder did all the shots already!".
We have to explain that only a veterinarian can administer rabies.
Sometimes I wonder if breeders tell them this to help a sale or if they (the new owners) are just so excited they aren't really paying attention.

·
Registered
18 Posts
When we got Bella the Breeder sent us home with lots of paper work which detailed everything. Maybe they should send paper work home with the new owners. That way if any thing is forgotten they can just pull out the information and read it.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When we got Bella the Breeder sent us home with lots of paper work which detailed everything. Maybe they should send paper work home with the new owners. That way if any thing is forgotten they can just pull out the information and read it.

LOL!!! Everyone of my puppy buyers goes home with a binder of pertinent information. You would be AMAZED at how many don't look at it!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
You'd think...but sadly...and I hate to say it, but so many people are just plain dumb.

I had a guy in the other day that was dumbfounded that a dog could have heart disease.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
:doh: Is that because dogs don't have HEARTS??? :wacko:
I guess? We get these kinds once in a while. He also feeds the dog nothing but table scraps, and judging by the look of the guy it's probably not the best diet for either of them. :eek:hwell:

·
Registered
139 Posts
my pup is 16 weeks... I have lost track of time, and thought he was 14 weeks!!! He had his 9 wks dis/parovirus and we want to follow dr jean dodds schedule but are already late, does the time in between matter? If I get his second round this week will we/should we do another before a year??

Sorry, just a little confused, I've looked up her protocol and found a few different schedules, not sure if it's been updated or people are putting out different info??

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
my pup is 16 weeks... I have lost track of time, and thought he was 14 weeks!!! He had his 9 wks dis/parovirus and we want to follow dr jean dodds schedule but are already late, does the time in between matter? If I get his second round this week will we/should we do another before a year??

Sorry, just a little confused, I've looked up her protocol and found a few different schedules, not sure if it's been updated or people are putting out different info??
No, you are fine. What you don't want to do is give vaccines any closer than 4 weeks apart. Also, you don't want to give multiple vaccines at one time. It is almost impossible to find a vet who doesn't use a bundled 5 (or more) way vaccine. (This is why I give my own) But you definitely don't want to ever give a bundled Parvo/Distemper at the same time as Rabies.

·
Registered
235 Posts
There was a news story here recently that said no dog has had rabies since the 1930's. I wonder if it's like that most places? The ground hogs have had outbreaks of it here off and on though. Is that why dogs still have to have the rabies vaccine or is it that vets would miss the income to much ( $30+ for the office visit then $30 for the actual shot). I hate to be cynical but if the shot clinics can give the rabies vaccine for $5 or $10...it makes me wonder.

My neighbors dog who died of parvo recently (RIP Vinny) had the shot at 8, 10, 12 and 14 weeks which is what the vets recemend around here. Did that increase his chances of dying from parvo, from over vacination? He was almost 8 months when he got it and died less than 24hrs later. My pups have only had the parvo vacine at 8 & 14 weeks and it honestly makes me worried that they will come down with parvo if they come across a stray germ. Im to scared to give it to them again though, just in case they DO come across the germ. I don't want them to have more parvo in their body because they were recently vaccinated. Does that make sence?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts