Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. My first time posting here. I've had pets all my life, and this is my first poodle (mini). Sad to say, I always ignored their teeth. But after today's visit with my vet, she instilled the importance and it stuck. I'm totally committed to teeth cleaning. Newly retired, I can no longer use the excuse of not having enough time. Anyway, I got a step by step tutorial and one thing I know about training is the reward. I'm looking for suggestions for small, reward training product that he'll really love. He's rather fussy. If I can get him something really yummy, I'll have a much better chance of teaching him and me, how to make teeth cleaning bearable. It's torture for us when I try to clean his eye buggers, however I neglected to reward him. My mistake. And any other tips for teeth training are welcome. Thanks for reading.

·
Premium Member
13,226 Posts
I used freeze dried chicken, or plain cooked chicken breast, but the big breakthrough came when I found a toothpaste so palatable that now the reward for having their teeth cleaned is another lick of toothpaste. The favourite so far is Virbac Enzymatic Toothpaste.

Start small - find a toothpaste they like and touch it to the teeth with your finger. Progress to rubbing it over the teeth, then rubbing it on gently with a course cloth. If you then introduce a toothbrush choose a soft one, and take great care not to bang teeth or gums. Plan on several months of "teaching to accept teeth cleaning", rather than"cleaning teeth" - my big mistake was trying to rush it with Sophy, so that we got into a battle, she refused, and we had to start all over again.

Reactions: CieCie and Liz

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
2,719 Posts
Hello and welcome! Over four years between joining and submitting your first post may be a record!

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,822 Posts
You’re so right about the reward! For eye goops, you can try doing what a bunch of us here do: Feed them to your poodle!

Peggy had started dodging me when it was time to clean her eyes. Now she loves it! And because I can do it so easily, I can also do it frequently. So all they need now is a little swipe with my fingers once or twice a day. The goop doesn’t have a chance to build up into a stubborn (potentially painful) mess.

·
Registered
Winnie 10/24/20 standard poodle
115 Posts
I'm so glad you are joining in! What's your boy's name? Start small with a tasty dog toothpaste and always quit while it's going good. The reward makes the 'torture' worthwhile and in time brushing won't be a big deal at all. Our old dog was a black and her eye boogers would get away from us and she hated them we cleaned them off. Winnie is a cream and because i can see them I look and clean them off every day.
Please post pics so we can ohhh and ahhhhhh over him! 🐾💙

·
Registered
760 Posts
I get maybe 2-3 swipes with the tooth brush on the surface of Basil's teeth.... You just need to start somewhere for them to start to look clean. Make it part of your routine, like after you floss and brush.

Eye boogers... Just grab puppy's muzzle to keep them still and get your finger nail in corner of their eye. Don't be afraid. It's just like cleaing your own eye boogers. Your not going to hurt puppy.

You can do it.

·
Registered
7,562 Posts
It's torture for us when I try to clean his eye buggers, however I neglected to reward him.
I do my poodles eyes just before their teeth, with a separate tootbrush. I wet the hair around their eyes with the toothbrush, and then brush their teeth with another toothbrush. While I’m brushing, the water soften the crusts and when I’m done brushing, I just pick it up with the toothbrush (be gentle, don’t rub) and it comes off easily. I then wipe with a paper tissue and whatever is left is removed and the hair dried.

I put both my dogs on the counter while I do that. Make sure you always keep a hand on the dog, as it could jump. Having a tasty toothpaste is really the trick. You can also have a special flavored gel that you apply on the teeth with your fingers at the end, for an even nicer treat.

It’s possible for a dog to tolerate and even like have their teeth brushed. Start with sessions of 4-5 seconds at a time and increase to about 30 seconds total. That’s all it takes to do a good job.

Have fun !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do my poodles eyes just before their teeth, with a separate tootbrush. I wet the hair around their eyes with the toothbrush, and then brush their teeth with another toothbrush. While I’m brushing, the water soften the crusts and when I’m done brushing, I just pick it up with the toothbrush (be gentle, don’t rub) and it comes off easily. I then wipe with a paper tissue and whatever is left is removed and the hair dried.

I put both my dogs on the counter while I do that. Make sure you always keep a hand on the dog, as it could jump. Having a tasty toothpaste is really the trick. You can also have a special flavored gel that you apply on the teeth with your fingers at the end, for an even nicer treat.

It’s possible for a dog to tolerate and even like have their teeth brushed. Start with sessions of 4-5 seconds at a time and increase to about 30 seconds total. That’s all it takes to do a good job.

Have fun !
Thank you for the tips. Doing both eyes and teeth together sounds really helpful, as the eyes have plenty of time to soften while brushing. Getting a yummy toothpaste will be a priority before I start his/my schedule. I'd love to teach him not to dread this. Suggestions are always appreciated. Thx again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used freeze dried chicken, or plain cooked chicken breast, but the big breakthrough came when I found a toothpaste so palatable that now the reward for having their teeth cleaned is another lick of toothpaste. The favourite so far is Virbac Enzymatic Toothpaste.

Start small - find a toothpaste they like and touch it to the teeth with your finger. Progress to rubbing it over the teeth, then rubbing it on gently with a course cloth. If you then introduce a toothbrush choose a soft one, and take great care not to bang teeth or gums. Plan on several months of "teaching to accept teeth cleaning", rather than"cleaning teeth" - my big mistake was trying to rush it with Sophy, so that we got into a battle, she refused, and we had to start all over again.
How true...acceptance is the key. Working with yummy toothpaste with acceptance as a goal....and myself practicing patience. Thanks for tips. Best-

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello and welcome! Over four years between joining and submitting your first post may be a record!
I know! I was almost embarrassed to post after 4 years. Thing is I got sick shortly after getting him with an auto-immune disease. During my sickness I could not keep a good schedule for him, wasn't consistent with training, So now my health has improved but he's still like a new untrained pup. So I have to break some bad habits and teach him properly. It's challenging. And he's smart as a whip....too smart sometimes! Thanks for the welcome.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You’re so right about the reward! For eye goops, you can try doing what a bunch of us here do: Feed them to your poodle!

Peggy had started dodging me when it was time to clean her eyes. Now she loves it! And because I can do it so easily, I can also do it frequently. So all they need now is a little swipe with my fingers once or twice a day. The goop doesn’t have a chance to build up into a stubborn (potentially painful) mess.
That's so funny. This is the first dog I've have in my life that has no desire to eat whatever puts pulled off him. Doesn't even sniff them! Doing it more often- 2X a day-to-day may be the trick. Ever day and sometimes every other day, is not working. He bolts when he see the wash cloth, hides, shakes, Need treats, too. Thanks for you help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm so glad you are joining in! What's your boy's name? Start small with a tasty dog toothpaste and always quit while it's going good. The reward makes the 'torture' worthwhile and in time brushing won't be a big deal at all. Our old dog was a black and her eye boogers would get away from us and she hated them we cleaned them off. Winnie is a cream and because i can see them I look and clean them off every day.
Please post pics so we can ohhh and ahhhhhh over him! 🐾💙
I glad to join in, too. My boy's name is Magoo (like Mr, Magoo). I'd love to post some pictures of him. Of course I think he's the most handsome little guy, but have to admit he's a real rascal too! Thanks for the welcome. Pics to follow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts