Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am waiting for a litter of standard poodle puppies due anytime now. So I have a little bit of time to get prepared. Can anyone give me suggestions on puppy things? This is not my first dog I have a 7 year old toy poo mix. I have the crate and a collar but that's it, Oh and some bitter apple. Any tips or suggestions?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Probably lots of chew toys and such... puppies will chew on any and everything so it's good to train them from the start that toys are for chewing, furniture is not! :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Well im collecting my standard pup on saturday and iv bought new dishes a new bed and blanket,squeeky toys a soft toy a cow hide bone,some treats for training,puppy milk.A new collar a tag with his name on some puppy pads.
think thats about it for now oh and food obviously :):)

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
LoL, Sounds like you're all set pagen :) I bet you're excited!
That sounds like a decent list of thing to get your started on too.

When we got saleen, our short list of needed iteams, was leash/collar, bones to chew, (I chose the "healthy eadibles for no reason in particular...) food dish, crate, and bed to go in crate.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Yes don't forget a comb slicker and other grooming stuff to start pup off right.
5-10 minutes daily will save you lots of time later.
Will you self groom? clippers ( not walmart ones but decent set) for feet and face.
I paid about 99 for mine and they have the detachable blades that I am slowly building up.

Not sure about puppy pads I don't think I like the idea of starting them off peing in house as how do you tell them NO later. Just a small crate or a big one with apc of wood zip tied to make it smaller and a leash for going outside to potty.

Remember to just use the kibble as treats as to not upset tummy right away.
Don't worry if it is coming from you hands it is a treat no matter what and a new home is very stressfull to go and add all sorts of new foods into it could be very messy

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great tips! I'd rather go ahead and get the stuff. I think I'll leave the grooming to a pro until they are used to it. I haven't ever tried my toy poodle (mix) because I'm scared of doing his face it's so small. But with the larger dog I'm thinking I might try it.
Thanks
Jen

1 - 7 of 7 Posts