Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 4 year old spoo.
In a couple of weeks we will be getting a new 9 week old spoo.
Both are female.

I’m a little nervous and looking for some tips on introduction and adjusting to our 4 year old.

·
Premium Member
23,150 Posts
Have them meet on neutral ground like on your front lawn for a start. Create two areas in your home so that they can see hear and smell each other. We had Javelin's crate in our office with a baby gate across the doorway. He and the other dogs could interact at the gate, but if any of them was uncomfortable with the interaction the could easily break it off.

Be prepared for the idea that your older dog may be a bit miffed by the puppy. It took at least 6 month before Lily started to act like she didn't horribly resent Javelin joining the family. She never was aggressive with him, but she made it very clear she had little to no interest and to start to really acknowledge him in resonably friendly ways. Nearly all pics of the two poodles taken before Javelin was about 9 months old have Lily with her head facing away from him.

It will be important to do the appropriate puppy care and training, but realistically probably more important to reinforce to your older dog that she is super important too.

One note of caution is that two bitches can be a problem combination and prone to fighting. Lily is a queenly bitch so I thought a girl would be a really bad idea and both our male dogs had to accept being princes, not thinking they were kings. One the other hand there are many sister pairs that get along just fine. You need to watch and understand lots of body language though in any household with more than one dog.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
What Catherine said, and also don’t fuss over the puppy more than your present dog.

She should always come first, be petted first, fed first, given treats first, etc. She needs to feel that even though there is a new girl in town, she still has the same place in the house she always had. The puppy will take whatever place you give her, everything is a blank sheet for her.

I’ve always done that when I got a second dog and never had problems.

·
Registered
123 Posts
We had three (when my husband finally gets an idea for a birthday/Christmas gift, he reuses it). They were tightly bonded, really crazy about one another. We brought the older one(s) outside to meet the new arrival and supervised interaction at first. The pups were a bit fearful for the first two days, but after that, it was all fun and games. Our first poodle did not fear the older dogs when we brought her home, instead, she took charge -- she had a big personality. The big dog would lie down and let the little one wrestle with her head and chew on her ears. The two youngest seemed to think the oldest dog was their mom dog for the rest of her life. The worst part was when she died and our 9 year-old male spent more than a week lying on her bed refusing to eat.

We also had a very gentle elderly dog and the two younger poodles had to be kept away from her or they would deliberately knock her over. We decided not to get another pup until those two were gone as they had acquired some very bad karma as mean-kids in their early years.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts