Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ugh Miss Pix absolutely refuses to let me wipe her eye goobers and stains. Happily she let the groomer shave her face but the little rusty streaks have been coming back. Anyone have tips? I give her dehydrated liver when I’m doing it but she will just back away as I’m wiping and feeding her the rest in my hand.

Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Keep the treats at the ready, but maybe let her know they are nearby but not for eating while something else has to be tended to. I also only do grooming work on a grooming table. If we are watching TV my dogs know I will not be poking and prodding at them or even combing them. My mom doesn't have a grooming table but she does put a towel on a table to comb her mpoo. I think it is fair to let them know this place is about grooming and you have to cooperate. Plus being cooperative means it is done sooner.

Reactions: Countryboy and Vita

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Keep the treats at the ready, but maybe let her know they are nearby but not for eating while something else has to be tended to. I also only do grooming work on a grooming table. If we are watching TV my dogs know I will not be poking and prodding at them or even combing them. My mom doesn't have a grooming table but she does put a towel on a table to comb her mpoo. I think it is fair to let them know this place is about grooming and you have to cooperate. Plus being cooperative means it is done sooner.
Geez Why didn't I think of that! She probs feels duped since I do it where we normally play. I've also been feeding her treats as we do it, which has been impossible. So i'll try that too! I'll do the towel trick first.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
And be persistent and consistent while she's young and still on the small side, or resistance might get really horrible as she gets older and stronger. If you do it a few minutes every day, she'll know it's part of a normal routine.

Not that I did this daily... I tried to 'spare' her of the hassle and myself of her tug of war resistance. This didn't work. It took until she was about 10 months old to get fairly comfortable with a bath and 11 months old for a hand held blow dryer. The HV dryer? It's her enemy. The clippers on her feet? Her arch enemy.

The eye goobers are pretty easy, though, I just put her on the table and use a semi-wet towel. Girlfriend is so relieved to know that's all we'll be doing that she puts up hardly no resistance now. I don't mix eye goober removal with brushing, combing, or face clipping, and she knows this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts