Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just dropped our new mini poodle off at the vets to be bathed/nails done/groomed. They have a groomer there that does it for $38. What/how much am I supposed to tip? I have never had a dog that needed this before, so this is all new to me. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
210 Posts
I always tip $5 to $8 depending on how I take him in. I think it depends on where you are at too. I'm in the midwest so cost of living is cheaper than other places. My groomer charges $32 for whatever I want.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
It definitely depends where you’re located. My sister and I groomed two black Russian Terriers and the lady tipped my sister 20 bucks ! This was in Hollywood , CA

·
Registered
183 Posts
I am SO bad!

I have only tipped once....when the groomer had injured herself badly with newly sharpened scissors and I figured she would have to get stitches! It wasn't even my dog's fault she cut herself.....she just made a mis-calculation wtih them.

Why I never think to tip is a mystery to me.

Although.....it is usually $55 each time and that is stressful for me to pay.

·
Registered
741 Posts
as a groomer who doesnt own her own buisness and gets paid a wage i do appecate a tip but i dont expect it most of my customers put 2 or 3 pounds in my pot that i have on the counter

some customers dont tho and that is fine but it is nice when they do.

if you feel your groomer has done a good job then give a tip of what you think is fair

·
Registered
912 Posts
We don't really tip in Australia although some of my clients will round the amount up and say just keep the change. So a $35 groom they will often give $40. I thought 15% of the total was the norm for tipping in the US? Dunno why I think that, musta read it somewhere or perhaps watched to many movies :smile:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
You're right B.F. , 15% is how we figure tips in the U.S. Was 10% for a long time, but with the cost of living going up so much, now a norm is 15%, sometimes even more if you are totally happy with the service you receive.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
My opinion is a little biased on tipping lol. I make a decent amount of my regular income from tips...

Judging by what my clients tip I average 5-10 on one groom assuming it wasn't a handstip, or a standard or something really complicated..

Bigger cities I notice tip more than rual areas do. Even within the same city different area's have different price schemes and thus different tipping.

I would say you left a nice tip for your groomer :) I bet they were pleased and I hope you were happy with the haircut.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts