Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking Teddy to be groomed at the place where I used the self-service washing facilities the other day. The groomer owns the shop and has an assistant who bathes and dries the dogs. Am I supposed to tip both of them, just the assistant, just the owner, or what? And how much is appropriate?

I don't want to insult anyone either way. TIA

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Wow I'd never thought about it, as a groomer we get tipped between $5 and $10 (if we even get tipped at all) it's really up to you what you want to do.

I've even been tipped a bag of zuccini before ^^

·
Registered
875 Posts
I usually get 5-10 per dog (if any)
If im paying for my dogs to get groomed I usually tip $5.
We had a customer who would always bring treats for us (candy, cookies, lotion is a great one, since groomers hands get dried out alot) when she brought her dog in for a groom. But if the cut is not the way I want it, and im not overly critical, I will not tip

·
Registered
356 Posts
Gee . . .. . since I groom from home, "most" of my customers don't tip me - I guess they figure I shouldn't be tipped since I'm not working in a storefront operation. Probably only 10% of my customers tip and then it's $5 - $10.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, that's about what I was thinking. Except for the zuccini part. I'll see if I have some carrots in the fridge. ;)

·
Registered
741 Posts
i always find customers will either put the change from there grooming price in the pot but they dont have to...

i have a girl that works for me on sats and we had a fue customers at x mas bring us both pressies in but i find with tips they dont put any extra in the pot id we both are working

if you feel your groomers do a good job then tip... but im sure they would even just appicate some chocs if you didnt want to give money

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
About the same as everyone has mentioned 5-10 per dog with holidays as an exception. Most clients seem very giving around Christmas!

I also have one client and every time she has her dog groomed she brings in a fresh, home made red velvet cake, it's to die for!! Her dog is a pain in the rear and she knows it! I miss her and her red velvet cake!

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would become a groomer if someone would bring me red velvet cake every time I groomed their dog!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
When I was 18, I went to a really fancy hair salon for the first time. I actually saw the owner, as he was reputed to be amazing (and he was). After I was done, I went to tip him, and he got really offended. He refused the tip and told me that no self respecting salon owner should ever accept a tip, only people who work for him. It has changed a lot since then, no one follows this rule any more.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I would become a groomer if someone would bring me red velvet cake every time I groomed their dog!
I think Im going to change my prices

Standard poodle- Chocolate brownies with sprinkles

Mini poodles- Funfetti Cake

Toy poodles- Carrot cake

baths only- Raspberry Zingers

ok, now im hungry LOL

·
Registered
875 Posts
When I was 18, I went to a really fancy hair salon for the first time. I actually saw the owner, as he was reputed to be amazing (and he was). After I was done, I went to tip him, and he got really offended. He refused the tip and told me that no self respecting salon owner should ever accept a tip, only people who work for him. It has changed a lot since then, no one follows this rule any more.
My husband has been going to the same woman for haircuts since he moved here 10 years ago. He only gets charged 10 bucks for his haircut.
one day I went with him and got my eyebrows done which is like 15 dollars... mind you I am terrible at math, so I gave the woman 40 and told her to keep the change LOL she insisted it was too much and I was all "oh no its ok its ok " thinking for some reason that the change was only like 5 bucks :doh:
I realized only after we were nearly home why she was protesting so much LOL

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know! That happened to me too, which is really what prompted my question here. I didn't know if it was the same for dog groomers.

FFS: LOL - Better get a treadmill to walk on while you're grooming!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Since I groom Vinnie myself, the only tips I get are the mental ones ("ugh... don't do THAT next time!"), but seriously, getting my own hair cut - when I went to someone who worked for the shop owner, I tipped her. But, now I go to someone that owns the shop and I do not tip her - she owns the shop and the money from my haircut is all going to her. Does that apply in dog grooming?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Yes, it pretty much does apply. For instance if I'm working in someones shop and making 60% commission the other 40% goes back to the owner/salon.

If the owner is grooming your dog she is making the full commission granted some of it goes into the salon and some for personal use but I would say that yes if the owner of the salon is grooming your dog the full price of that groom goes to them.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I tip my grooming 5 bucks standard every time. Its only her, no bather. I would not tip the bather seperate also!
I dont tip the people in the chain stores if i go to them for bath/blow out (heck they are charging me almost 50$ anyways!! my reg groomer charges 65$ for a Full groom!).

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
But what if you really liked them and so did your dog, BPP?
Then tip them, I would BUT I have to agree with BPP as far as large chains grooming - I won't tip them, they charged me around $130 to do my wee little poms that they didn't even trim.....

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think I must have misread BPP's post. I seem to have missed out the word "chain" there.

I agree with both of you.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I tip my groomer 20% and bring her a coffee. :eek:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts