Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm new to poodle grooming as my oldest guy is 4 mo. and was wondering do I need to tip the groomer?

Thanks,

Brenda

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the feedback. I haven't seen a superb job yet and by what they charge, it's pretty expensive as it is. I had my new puppy very close clipped (almost shaved but not quite), feet done, face shaved, and bathed and they charged me $35. Is that a good price?

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
$55 to do Moose (Standard @ 1YR/O). They charged me that the first time and the next they wanted to charge me 70!!! I Said no $55 is what I paid last time and what I`ll pay again or I`ll do it myself, 2 x now and I pay $55. NO tip as it's at PetsMart or Petco (Forget) and the groomer exchanges no cash. I could probably leave her a tip personally but feel she is there to either get started, benefits they offer, etc. Not sure if she is hrly, or paid per-cut either way it's her choice. Moose loves the lady who does it so I am happy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those pics of Moose are beautiful. What a handsome boy!!

I couldnt do it myself...too chicken. This lady who did Louie was very nice and the facility was very clean/new. So I'll go back with Leon next month and see how she does. I have his face shaved with a donut mustache now, but thinking I'll get rid of that. It creates a lot of water on the floor at the bowl. But so darn cute!

Thanks for the responses, ya'll.

·
Registered
18 Posts
$55 to do Moose (Standard @ 1YR/O). They charged me that the first time and the next they wanted to charge me 70!!! I Said no $55 is what I paid last time and what I`ll pay again or I`ll do it myself, 2 x now and I pay $55. NO tip as it's at PetsMart or Petco (Forget) and the groomer exchanges no cash. I could probably leave her a tip personally but feel she is there to either get started, benefits they offer, etc. Not sure if she is hrly, or paid per-cut either way it's her choice. Moose loves the lady who does it so I am happy.
I am always amazed at how people think they are being charged alot of money to groom their dog. $55 for a standard poodle is so ridiculously low. For a professional cut a poodle has to be completely fluff dried which is labor intensive. They require alot of scissor work and detail work. It takes between 2 and 3 hours to do a nice cut. For someone working at Petsmart for a 55 groom the groomer would get $27.50. If it took them 3 hours that means they only earned a little over $8.00 an hour. Then people are so quick to complain that the groomer didn't do a good enough job. Honestly, people, those who are talented move on because they are not paid enough. The funny thing is people want show quality cuts at gutter prices. You wouldn't be too happy with my prices. I'm mobile and charge $120.00 for a standard. In a shop I wouldn't charge less than $80.00. I don't want to come off harsh, but its very frustrating to hear all the complaints that people make about groomers, but then don't want to pay to have their dogs done.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I agree with you but it also depends on where you live on how much is charged.

It takes a lot of work for just a sporting clip, I groomed my Standard girl this morning and it took me about 2 hours to do everything including drying. When I had her is a puppy clip it would take about 3 hours and with a full show coat it took me two days. So yes its a lot of hard work and you should expect to pay a bit.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi, I agree, it depends on where you live, the cut you are getting, the shape your dog's hair is in (matted or nicely brushed out). I was paying $90 per groom and that is about the going rate in Northern California (and she was cut cloe but not shaved down except face,feet,tail). My Roxy also loved her groomers so I would never switch her, and we kept her up every month so it was easy for the groomer as well as the dog. As far as tipping, how about a treat every now and again for the groomer (on a hot days I brought in some beers - I always picked her up later in the day when the groomer was done, or treats for the groomers dog or a little something). That way, you won't feel obligated to give a tip everytime. If you like the groomer, you may be there for MANY years. Good luck, Suzanne

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
I am always amazed at how people think they are being charged alot of money to groom their dog. $55 for a standard poodle is so ridiculously low. For a professional cut a poodle has to be completely fluff dried which is labor intensive. They require alot of scissor work and detail work. It takes between 2 and 3 hours to do a nice cut. For someone working at Petsmart for a 55 groom the groomer would get $27.50. If it took them 3 hours that means they only earned a little over $8.00 an hour. Then people are so quick to complain that the groomer didn't do a good enough job. Honestly, people, those who are talented move on because they are not paid enough. The funny thing is people want show quality cuts at gutter prices. You wouldn't be too happy with my prices. I'm mobile and charge $120.00 for a standard. In a shop I wouldn't charge less than $80.00. I don't want to come off harsh, but its very frustrating to hear all the complaints that people make about groomers, but then don't want to pay to have their dogs done.
Maybe I forgot to mention that moose is cut (BUZZED) all over, and short on his face, tummy, inside ears and privates. His hair does not even get 2" long before we get it cut again (every month).

$65 is fair I think for what he has done.

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Hi, I agree, it depends on where you live, the cut you are getting, the shape your dog's hair is in (matted or nicely brushed out). I was paying $90 per groom and that is about the going rate in Northern California (and she was cut cloe but not shaved down except face,feet,tail). My Roxy also loved her groomers so I would never switch her, and we kept her up every month so it was easy for the groomer as well as the dog. As far as tipping, how about a treat every now and again for the groomer (on a hot days I brought in some beers - I always picked her up later in the day when the groomer was done, or treats for the groomers dog or a little something). That way, you won't feel obligated to give a tip everytime. If you like the groomer, you may be there for MANY years. Good luck, Suzanne
Ya we are in Northern CA too.

We are going to find a 'private' groomer, if someone does it perfect and takes care of him id pay $75. But I also may start doing it again myself once we move.

-Todd

·
Registered
133 Posts
Very nice. We get up to Tahoe whenever we can, my husband's family has a house on the West Shore, anywhere up there is heaven for dogs as well as people!

·
Registered
260 Posts
I just regretfully had to change groomers after several years for my three poodles. I really liked the groomers personally so this was difficult. My dogs had razor burn every single time and I complained about it every time i saw it and they would be better for a couple of times, then again the severe razor burn. One time I even had to take my toy poodle to the vet because the burn on her neck became infected and drippy.

When I found a new groomer I was shocked to see that she gave no burn what so ever and blew the dogs dry so that they were fluffy and beautiful.
I didn't know they could look so wonderful. She even took the stitches out for my dog after her tumor removal and spay. I tipped her graciously even though her prices were higher.

I payed 125 dollars plus a tip to groom two toy poodles and a Standard.
I thought the price was very low for the quality of the job she did. I would have paid 150 easily.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi, too bad you had to change groomers, that is stressful when you have a standard. A lot of groomers in our area will not take them, they are too time consuming. I am sorry to hear about the razor burn. My standard and Newfoundland were at a groomers once and when I went to pick up at the end of the day on a Friday, they had cut the Newfie's leg and he was bleeding (and had been for some time). Needless to say I was furious and he had to have stitches and they had the nerve to fight me about the vet bill (I also payed the grooming for the day), totally uncalled for. I was upset that they did not call me, so needless to say, we switched groomers. We then found a wonderful couple who groomed our dogs for about 10 years, but now that I have lost both of those dogs they do not want to take on any new standards (the gal is having wrist problems) - it's hard to try a new groomer so good luck to you.

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
WoW! Talk about grooming drama.

Moose has had razor burn a couple times on his toes, even I give it to him sometimes :( Luckily not bad.

We are going to start looking for someplace new soon.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I work at a groom shop (not as a groomer but a bather, however i do clip Mister myself) and i almost expect tips. This may sound rude but i do. I always do a great job, im friendly, i listen to what they want etc.
Oh and i worked at Petsmart for over 2 years and the groomers are not hourly they are on commision and yes you can tip them you just cant add it on to the bill, you have to get cash back or something, then go back to grooming and give it to them.

Its just like going to a espresso place, i know the baristas make good money but i always tip them too.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts