Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After many years of considering the idea, I’m feeling ready to commit to a dog, specifically a spoo. I have one major area of hesitation, though, and I’m hoping to get some input (as I’ve heard different opinions from different people when I posed this question): my family spends summers in a place that, sadly, doesn’t allow dogs. However, while I go away with my kids all summer, my husband is home during the week and joins us on weekends. A close family member has offered to watch our theoretical dog when we’re all away, but I’m afraid the whole setup would be unfair to the dog. So my question is twofold: is this a doable situation in general? And, if/when I find a suitable puppy, how old do you think the puppy should be before we left it home with my husband and/or relative? Ideally, I’d want as much time with the puppy as possible before the summer, but timing can be tricky. I’m a total novice – and as much as I try to research things, I don’t have any firsthand experience, so would very much appreciate advice!

·
Super Moderator
5,804 Posts
Poodles are very close to their family members and can be sensitive to upheaval. I hope others will weigh in with opposing views, but I personally wouldn't enter into poodle ownership knowing there'd be such consistently long periods of separation.

Is there even a small possibility of adjusting your summer plans to be poodle-friendly? I think that's probably what I'd be digging into first. Or I'd consider adjusting my summer plans down to a week or two.

Having a dog really does add so much value to your life. It would be a trade-off, yes, but not necessarily a compromise.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I second Peggythe Poodle. My boy enjoys my husband but when I visit my brother for a week 2 times per year, the dog us not happy. He's my dog & him & my Giant sulk. They dont like separation from their humans. My Chihuahua loses weight.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
23,379 Posts
What Peggy said.

·
Super Moderator
1,652 Posts
My gut feeling is that it's a bad idea. Several people have mentioned their concerns about the puppy. How about concerns for you?

First, how much do you like your friend and your spouse? Your puppy will go through some difficult stages over the next year. There's the diarrhea everywhere stage. There's the chewing on everything stage. There's the freaking out at whatever went bump in the night stage. There's the "I hate my kibble and won't eat it" stage. Will your relationships survive you handing over a puppy in the middle of one of these stages?

Second, winter is wretched time to housebreak a puppy. You will rushing the puppy outside multiple times, day and night. Standing barefoot in half an inch of melting sleet because you didn't have time to grab shoes is something to avoid.

Third, Covid situations being what they are, I assume your kids' education arrangement is in a bit of turmoil. Puppies are avatars of chaos. Is adding one going to push you over your stress threshold?

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I know this all sounds discouraging, but as you lay out the schedule, basically 3 months of the year when you and the children and the dog will not be together at all. In those same 3 months, the other dependable person in the poodles world disappears every week for 2 days, and those 2 days they are sent to another place to live or another person comes to where the poodle lives. Then the poodle is asked to readjust again, and then eventually you and the kids come back and all need to become reacquainted. This does not sound like a recipe for a successful life for or with a poodle. As you read thru threads here you'll find more than a few comparisons to raising an infant then a toddler, when raising a poodle.

With the other concerns raised, I'm adding one more. Suppose Something Should Happen to the poodle while not under your care? How would you feel? With so much time not spent in the care of your family, those odds go up.

A poodle is an amazing family dog, emphasis on family. Adding a dog to your family is a big commitment. I'm sure it would be hard to change long standing traditions, but if this were me, I'd be looking for dog friendly destinations where the majority of the family can spend the majority of their time together and really minimize the time the poodle wasn't with the whole family.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I agree with other responses. There is no way I could bear to leave my poodle for three months of the year. Even the thought of leaving him for two weeks is extremely stressful. They are very emotional dogs. They feel like your children. And worse, you cannot explain to them what is happening. I would personally be finding new summer plans.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, you're all basically saying what I know in my gut to be true. I think I just had to hear it from multiple people :) And yes, changing the vacation place is a possibility, but not really in the short term. I want to do right by any dog I would get, so I'm thinking that a poodle would be a possibility down the road but not quite yet. I do appreciate the advice very much, and hopefully when the timing's better, I'll be back asking more questions. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
5,804 Posts
Yes, you're all basically saying what I know in my gut to be true. I think I just had to hear it from multiple people :) And yes, changing the vacation place is a possibility, but not really in the short term. I want to do right by any dog I would get, so I'm thinking that a poodle would be a possibility down the road but not quite yet. I do appreciate the advice very much, and hopefully when the timing's better, I'll be back asking more questions. Thank you!
In the meantime, don't be afraid to stick around and enjoy the Poodle Forum poodles! We've got plenty to go around. :)

I also recommend dog sitting for friends and family, or even fostering for local shelters and rescue groups.

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
I don't think I could be leaving a poodle that long of time, specifically a puppy. You need some bonding time as others have said . This feels very hard a situation for you and the pup..

·
Premium Member
23,379 Posts
Sometimes your heart needs an extra nudge to get in line with what your head has already said to you. Do stick around and do consider getting a poodle when you find a new vacay place where a poodle will be a welcome family member. Everyone will be happy then.

Reactions: Dogs4Life
1 - 13 of 13 Posts