Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would it be better to limit the time your pup has to finish his/her meal than to leave it out all day? I'm thinking it might be better to set a time limit to discourage picky eating habit and to help with dental hygiene (the longer food stays in the mouth, the more risk of dental disease).

What is your recommendation?

·
Premium Member
4,029 Posts
I leave Asta's food down for 15 minutes - long enough to slowly chew and not too much time. Now he knows his time frame for food. Sorry to say, he is still a picky eater.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Mine has a limited time to eat and if not it is put up until next meal, I feed mine morning and evening, no certain time. If I wait to long, they start screaming at me. First Bell them Cayenne Chimes in and then Sage. Morning between 7 to 9 evenings 5 to 7

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
I would free-feed the poodles, except they live with 4 other dogs who can't be free-fed. So, they have feedings in the morning (time varies depending on their exercise schedule), at 3 pm, and around 8 pm. They almost always eat, but if they walk away, the bowls go up until the next feeding.

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
Not a problem here - Poppy's bowl is empty by the time I have given Sophy and the cats their meals and she is hovering to see if they might leave some...

This morning's breakfast was chicken pieces, complete minced beef, kale and sweet potato, all cooked in gravy. The dogs licked their bowls clean!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, fjm. The bf you made for them sounds delicious even to me. I don't plan on home-cooking on a regular basis. We will be picking up our new minipoo this saturday. Her breeder has been weaning her on Fresh Pet Puppy and raw ground beef. I will try to continue that with a slight modification (cooked beef instead of raw) for a short-while then transition to some dry dog food.

I'm afraid the pup won't like the taste of dried food but hope that she will adjust.

Sounds like most folks do set a time limit for each meal. Thanks for sharing. I'll also follow suit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts