Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are getting some quotes for the rest of our backyard fencing so eventually we will have all sides fenced in. Until then our 4.5mo Spoo is on a leash and is walking us around the back yard. it's fine for most times but i do have the occasional need/desire to want him to be outside while i'm doing yard work and not just wander off or potentially go and eat pine cones, fox poop, etc.

I'm starting to think that a tiedown in the back with a semi long line would be a good idea. Somewhere near a tree and "close" to his general poop and pee places (although that's not a very small space.

do people use those screw-in-the-ground tie down things and is that a good idea?

·
Registered
474 Posts
I wouldn't put them next to a tree. then you'll get the great frustration of untangling him every two minutes. I know there are also ties that you can link to the home and across to something else in the air, then there's a moving line to the dog where they can run up and down freely. I used to baby sit for a couple who used one of those and it worked nicely in their open lawn duplex. they had no trees around it. i'd keep any tie away from trees if possible.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, that's a pretty neat idea. like a zip line of sorts. i don't have the best setup for that but it's a thought

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I often tie Annie out while I garden. I dont much like the screw in ground ones for long term use. But if you attach to a tree/house be careful of what you attach it too. A happy 50 lb poodle can easily pull a clothesline off the shed, pull a hook off an old shed, etc, etc. Ask me how I know this....

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I can identify with tying a dog to something that comes off. The worst example of tying an animal to an inappropriate object was when a man tied his horse to a car door handle. Did you know that a horse can pull a car door off the car?

·
Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
Peggy's occasionally tied out while my husband does yard work. We do have a heavy-duty spiral stake, but we've never used it. (It was bought mostly for camping, which hasn't been an option yet this year thanks to COVID-19.) He just attaches her long, flat leash to a post and puts out her bed and water. If she's not settled within 20 minutes or so, I suspect he'd put her inside. But so far she's been good with it. She likes watching him.

What we don't want her to get in the habit of, is barking at everyone who walks by. This is already becoming an issue in our backyard, since we removed a big shrub and she now has a clear sightline to the sidewalk. It started out as curious stares and little woofs. Now she rushes the fence, barking. Bad.

·
Premium Member
23,210 Posts
I've used them when I was doing yard work. Only one dog at a time though. And attach it to a front or back clip harness, not the dog's collar.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I've used them in the past, didn't really care for them as whichever dog we had at the time would eventually drag them out of the ground. When I was a kid my dad drilled a hook into the house and ran a cable out to the furthest tree. A pulley was put on that cable and a long line attached to the pulley. The dog could run back and forth. I'd love to have that option but glad now I fenced in the yard, though y back wall fencing leaves something to be desired but my dogs are never unsupervised so it works.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts