Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm kind of replying on "What the Heck is This?". Monti had similar red circle bite with a big tick in the middle on his inner thigh. I got the tick out and rushed to the vet scared of lymes. She looked at that, sad that it is irritated from the tick and when I asked about the lymes she sad he can't get lime since he is on Frontline. But I gave him the Frontline two days before I found the tick. She send us home to watch for a change in his behaviors.
Like you know he is my first puppy. I don't know if she could do the lime test or he is too small for the test (7 months now)?

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
You can deffinatly do the test. Its just a labdraw to check for lymes titers in the blood. WEre they just red marks, or were they true bulls-eye marks? The tick has to be on for 48 hours to pass any diseases. Frontline is sopost to kill ticks within that time amount.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was a large red (blood under skin) circle more than 0.5" and later the redness stayed on the outside so it looked like bulls eye. I didn't think of taking a picture, I was in panicking mode :wacko:, but trusted the vet he can't have lymes.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Monti has a diarrhea for few days now. Could that be related to the tick bite or is it something else. The vet sad to watch for any lethargy. He is very active just I can't stop the diarrhea even I'm feeding him for these few days just cooked white rice and organic chicken breast. Do you have any idea, suggestion please?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Well if the tick wasn't on for very long then I suppose you should be safe. I don't know for sure though, if you feel uncertain, get the test. I don't know the symptoms for lyme disease in dogs- is diarrhea one of them?
I know on Des, the "bulls eye" appeared without a tick attached to it. I assume it bit and moved on, since there were 4 different bites, no ticks in sight.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
The general symptoms for lymes disease are lethargy, fever, painful swollen joints that rotate (as in one joint one day, another the next), lameness, decreased appitite. Could be other more vague symptoms though.

If the diarrhea isnt going away with the bland diet, but he is still acting completely normal then i would call the vet for some medication. Metronidazole is a great medication for diarrhea and very safe. Generally clears it up in a day or two.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The general symptoms for lymes disease are lethargy, fever, painful swollen joints that rotate (as in one joint one day, another the next), lameness, decreased appitite. Could be other more vague symptoms though.

If the diarrhea isnt going away with the bland diet, but he is still acting completely normal then i would call the vet for some medication. Metronidazole is a great medication for diarrhea and very safe. Generally clears it up in a day or two.
Thank you very much for your response. So there is a hope to stop this madness (diarrhea). Tonight he had to go every 2-3 hours and in a morning he through up a bile. Why it always works like that, it gets worse on the weekend :scared: I'm taking him to the vet tomorrow. Thank you again, at lease I now it's not a lymes symptom.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts