Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Someone i know is looking for a poodle puppy. She has really narrowed her sites on this breeder.

http://www.harmonyhuntingpudels.com/

From their website they look ok. Anyone have any experience with them?
Well, what is this person looking for?

Clearly this breeder tests and does some performance things with their dogs which is good. However, they have sure ramped up their breeding program in the last few years and they have quite a lot of breeding bitches. I think at Christmas time they had 4 litters of puppies on the ground. I think this shows poor planning at best. I know how hard it is to correctly train and socialize 1 litter of puppies let alone 4. At worst, it starts to look like a high volume breeding program.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I think that they are "OK" , I guess.

I wish that they have more AKC titles though.

I have to say that I am actually surprised that they really DID all of the testing (now that I explored more) and that is EXTREMELY rare to find !!!!!

About 95 % off all breeders who claim that they do testing actually do just a few or just hips and I am just sick an tiered of that charade !!!!!

I also hope that they are reasonably priced.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
ChickyChat bred her dog to their stud Trigger and the litter has some issues...no? I believe it was a heart problem? Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Personally, I do not like the type of dog they breed for. Retrieving ability is awesome and something that needs to be bred for but to me it looks like they have lost a bit on conformation.

Are they wanting just a companion or are they wanting to use the dog as a working retriever?

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
I co-own a Harmony Mountain boy and he is gorgeous!!! A really handsome, well put together boy. I am confident, because of the crazy amount of testing they do on their breeding dogs that he will ace his tests.

Both of the parents of Chickychats litter have been well looked at by veterinary cardiologists, and have been cleared. From what I underestand,the vets think it was a fluke that this problem arose so would have no qualms whatsoever getting a puppy from either of these breeders.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Yes - that is why I said that I wish they have more AKC titled dogs - at least of what photos are posted on the site, one would like to see a better confirmation present.

Regarding heart problems - it is very interesting :rolffleyes:. Maybe both dogs are just carriers of recessive genes for heart problems and it popped out in the litter with babies who got full set pf genes !

Is there a genetic test for that kind of heart problem that aroused in that litter ??? I would be very careful of NOT repeating that breeding and if I was a breeder I would maybe not use those particular dogs at all :rolffleyes:

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
When they have both been checked out by cardiologists, I can surely see NOT breeding them together again, but would not be worried about breeding either of them to other mates. It could be like NEWS...that one could be a crrier and the other not, and the pups are safe. But breed two carriers together for an altogether different story. OR, it could be just as they have been told...that it was a fluke.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When they have both been checked out by cardiologists, I can surely see NOT breeding them together again, but would not be worried about breeding either of them to other mates.
I thought Chickychat did a repeat breeding on these two. Perhaps i am mistaken?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
How many pups were effected ? If there was more than one that it being it a fluke is out of question :smow:

Yes- many "carriers" are bred to "non-carriers" but with available genetic testing to determine if one is a carrier or not. That is why I asked is there is a genetic test for that particular heart disorder in dogs :rolffleyes:?

I certainly hope that that breeding was not repeated :wacko:- why would anybody risk such a ting is beyond me : (((

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
They did do a repeat breeding, but it was too early in Paris' cyle and she did not conceive. They did not find out until Lisa got back home after the breeding asbout the pup with the heart problem. Both dogs heart results are on OFA apparently, and they both had echograms done.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank goodness it didnt take! Just another reason in my opinion on why you shouldnt do back to back breedings! You cant tell how the litter turned out or what health problems there are yet.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It didnt really work out in the long run for those two affected puppies. Also, how will they know if it wasnt a fluke unless they are bred again. By the HM page, it doesnt look like they are planning on retiring that stud anytime soon.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Were those two puppies that were effected same gender ?

Yes, I do not believe that back to back breeding is ever a good practice :eek:hwell: for many reasons than one...

Again, as long as there is no genetic testing to check for that defect, only logical path would be not to use those dogs in breeding program at all - just my opinion.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
This was not the first litter nor the last the stud sired, and to my knowledge, this was the first time there was a problem. I would be confident owning a puppy from him. I am and I do. If they had tested the hearts of these two dogs and found things were not right or were questionable, well, then I may feel entirely differently. But, aside from the tragedy of the sick puppy/puppies, there really is nothing more, in my opinion, that the owners of these two dogs could do. The dogs have been tested and cleared.

If you look at the health testing results on PHR of some of the top winning top producing Standard Poodles of all time,and base whether or not they should have been bred based on those results if these dogs had been pulled from the breeding programs of their owners/breeders, the situation today would be entirely different wouldn't it. The bitch that represented the group at Westminster would not even exist. While I do feel there are dogs that should be pulled from some breeding programs, with the testing having been done on these two, I do not believe there is anything wrong with breeding them, just not to one another.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Oh, I know dear Arreau about all of that :smow:. It is just so that there is no line that is not plagued by some bad genes : (((.

It is just that for things that CAN be genetically tested it is safe bet to breed those animals (if one really must) with non carriers - than none of the puppies will be effected. Although I passed a litter with gorgeous females available since the one that were available were carriers for NE. I know that it would NOT effect my pet puppy in any way - but I did not trust the breeder after I discovered that on my own :fish: on the OFA - she never offered information.

But, that is another story ...

What I want to say - since there obviously is no genetic test for that heart problem : (((- than sonogram of the hearts of the Dam and the Sire means nothing really : (((. They could have been just carriers of some rare defect and not be effected themselves : (((.

Yes, it is of course than prerogative not to breed them together - but still - one never knows which OTHER bitch or stud could be just carriers and then produce a sick puppy in that litter unexpectedly : ((.

I am just like that LOL - I always play it safe and no matter how beautiful that Westminster dog was - I would never wish to have it if it was obviously a product of some Stud that carried who knows what : (((.

Again - it is just me ... I am completely aware that many carriers are bred or shown on regular bases - I just do not like that ... what can I do :rolffleyes:

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
No, sorry CBrand. His foster Mom just had him out in the yard playing after his groom and took photos of him chasing a frisbee and being a silly seven month old. We are quite happy with him though and I love his head. He is also darkening a lot since we got him, so hopefully that is a good sign.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts