Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your all thoughts about my having Poppy's stomach tacked when I have her spayed?

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
I've already told my vet that she'll be doing it when Lucy is spayed!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any negatives to doing it? I've asked for a price, any of you know what amount I should prepare myself for?

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
I think its over kill.
It might be if the vet wasn't already in the abdomen for the spay... I don't think I'd do it if she wasn't already under anesthesia and the vet wasn't already in the vicinity... If I can prevent a future fatal stomach twist by a few little stitches, I don't see how that's overkill - imo...

True, Lucy doesn't have bloat in her lines, but standard poodles can be more prone to it just because of the deep chest - And even if she ever DID bloat, that doesn't mean her stomach would twist - but it's a preventive measure so it DOESN'T happen. I would be devastated if something happened to her which was something I *could* have prevented so easily.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I would do it. After going through it with my dane and the extensive surgery to save his life I wouldn't second guess it.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
It might be if the vet wasn't already in the abdomen for the spay... I don't think I'd do it if she wasn't already under anesthesia and the vet wasn't already in the vicinity... If I can prevent a future fatal stomach twist by a few little stitches, I don't see how that's overkill - imo...

True, Lucy doesn't have bloat in her lines, but standard poodles can be more prone to it just because of the deep chest - And even if she ever DID bloat, that doesn't mean her stomach would twist - but it's a preventive measure so it DOESN'T happen. I would be devastated if something happened to her which was something I *could* have prevented so easily.
Well said. "While you're in there...."

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
How do you know this?
How do I know what? I had two pieces of information in my post and you didn't specify which one you wanted clarification on....

Lucy's breeder has told me that she has no recorded episode of bloat with either of Lucy's parents or any of their progeny (and to my knowledge - there is no anecdotal evidence that it has occured in the ancestors of said parents, but I don't have proof of that - so it's just what I've been told...) I have no reason to doubt it - but I'm still having the procedure done for my own peace of mind.

The second piece of information that standard poodles can be more prone to bloat because of their deep chests is information that I've found on countless websites and other information sources and also have discovered no reason to doubt it...

I have already spoken to my vet and she readily agreed to do the tacking when I bring Lucy in for her spay this spring. I don't see any downside to having it done. An ounce of prevention...

I also believe in God, but there's no way I can prove His existence either - it's just by faith I guess...

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Excuse me for asking, I feel like an idiot. But what is Stomach Tacking?
In my understanding it's where the vet stitches the stomach in place internally so in the case of bloat, the stomach is unable to twist (which is a possibility when the stomach fills with air) It isn't the bloat that is as much of a threat to the life of a dog as the twisting of the stomach because of the bloat.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
How do I know what? I had two pieces of information in my post and you didn't specify which one you wanted clarification on....

Lucy's breeder has told me that she has no recorded episode of bloat with either of Lucy's parents or any of their pogeny (and to my knowledge - there is no anecdotal evidence that it has occured in the ancestors of said parents, but I don't have proof of that - so it's just what I've been told...) I have no reason to doubt it - but I'm still having the procedure done for my own peace of mind.

The second piece of information that standard poodles can be more prone to bloat because of their deep chests is information that I've found on countless websites and other information sources and also have discovered no reason to doubt it...

I have already spoken to my vet and she readily agreed to do the tacking when I bring Lucy in for her spay this spring. I don't see any downside to having it done. An ounce of prevention...

I also believe in God, but there's no way I can prove His existence either - it's just by faith I guess...
Yes, you can rest assured neither Holly or Dugan has had it, none of their kids has had it, and from what I have seen on PHR, it is not something that has been an issue in their backgrounds. HOLY COW!!!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts

Unless I owned an actual deep chested breed I would consider it but to do it "just in case" is over kill on a Standard Poodle.

·
Registered
109 Posts
In my understanding it's where the vet stitches the stomach in place internally so in the case of bloat, the stomach is unable to twist (which is a possibility when the stomach fills with air) It isn't the bloat that is as much of a threat to the life of a dog as the twisting of the stomach because of the bloat.
So basically what happened to Marley in Marley and Me?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Marley and Me didn't really delve into bloat...it wasn't very precise about the condition.
I have seen bloat first hand quite a few times, and it's horrible :(

Here is some good info on the condition:

http://www.globalspan.net/bloat.htm

1 - 20 of 23 Posts