Poodle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all have those moments that make us feel like the great dog person that we've always wanted to be. What are some of yours?

I'll start with the times that Normie's ball goes under something and he comes to me to free it. He gives me that 'I knew that you could do it!' look and we're a team. (Yep, he's the captain at that moment.)

·
Registered
625 Posts
When Topper comes joyfully when I call him. A few weeks ago I was able to recall him from something that must have smelled awesome. He ran right back to me when I called him; when I went to investigate what had intrigued him I saw that it was bear scat! Or in nose work class when I see him excelling and having so much fun.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Every time after I take Lacey on our neighborhood walks, I can tell she’s so thankful by her body language and the way she looks at me. As if she knows I’m getting her out in the world to explore and enjoy being a dog.

After we get back home she suddenly needs to be curled up into me, pressing against me as hard as she can, or right on top of me. Then she just stares at me with happy and relaxed eyes for a long while and gives a very content sigh.

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
Renn went for his annual...I'm always anxious knowing he will be and will not want to go with the vet tech. Well we have a new tech, she actually let me bring him inside the building, weigh him and she took the leash and he bouncily and happily went into the exam room as I went back outdoors. The vet said he was so well behaved. I asked if he had the right dog.LOL

·
Registered
131 Posts
I took Ziggy to a friend's house for the first time yesterday. He is a year and a half so he is starting to settle down, but sometimes still has that teenage mischief. I was worried he would be looking for trouble and I'd have to keep him tethered to me.
He ended up off leash and laying at our feet the whole time. He even watch us eat from the low coffee table without trying to grab food. He stiffed our food once, but when told to "leave it", he just sighed and laid down.

He is having more and more of these moments where I can see the calm, relaxed, mature dog he is becoming.

Granted, we did have a training class the day before and went on a hike the morning of the house visit so he was tired!

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was walking Annie last night. We have started to walk before dark as they days have gotten longer. A cat ran across the road in front of us, she looked at me, I told her to leave it and she trotted to me for a treat. Have been working on controlling her prey drive for SO long so that was lovely.
And the cat says 'thanks!'

·
Administrator
14,407 Posts
A friend put out his hand for his dog to touch, and Peggy raced across the yard, triumphantly touching her nose to his hand before his dog even registered what he was asking for. Training Peggy to respond consistently to our cues is one thing. Seeing her react instantaneously to someone else’s was pure joy. It made me feel like I’m raising her right. :)

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Out walking Bobby tonight and we walked by a yard with a crazy barking dog. Bobby just looked up at me. I smiled, he got a treat and we just walked along at our normal pace. He reminded me that he can be a pretty good boy most of the time. He was basically acting like an over tired puppy this afternoon as he didn’t nap much today with the grandkids over.😉 Our lovely walk reminded me of our hard work and our special bond despite his “puppy” antics over the afternoon.

·
Premium Member
25,464 Posts
As for many of you who commented on compliments from the vet and techs about how good they are even when having a problem checked out and such, but great behavior in odd circumstances of the real world mean the world to me. Today for example I was bringing groceries in from the car and had let Lily and Javelin out. They were minding their own business at one end of the yard. I walked up a couple of steps to the deck and was greeted by a loose chicken. Javelin took notice and gave chase. They went out of sight off the other end of the deck. I called "Javvy COME" and he reappeared almost instantly and without a complaining bird in his mouth. I told him to wait at the door and he did. He came in with me right away. Good boy Javvy Pups! I am also very proud of how great a neutral dog Lily has been over years from helping with CGC tests to helping to calm reactive client dogs she is just aces!

·
Premium Member
15,147 Posts
I'm not sure if it is feeling like being a great dog owner but times like now are part of being the dog owner I always wanted to be - both dogs snoozing beside me after a day of walks and nice meals and generally doing stuff together. And I was very touched when there was a sudden yip of pain from the sitting room earlier and Sophy came dashing to find me for a comforting cuddle. I can't find any sign of injury so it was probably just snagged hair, but it is good to feel that even now that she is a confident adult I am still her safe place.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've been training Meisha to be a service dog to help with my hearing impairment. She came through twice this week! Once, she kept nuzzling my hand and running to the door over and over. Turned out I had accidentally locked the cat outside and couldn't hear her yowling to come in. Then at the airport yesterday, she kept trying to pull me to the side as I walked down the concourse. In that case, I had apparently been walking in front of a transport cart for a while and didn't realize it.

She really seems to get what she is supposed to be doing. :)

·
Premium Member
Elroy: Standard Poodle, Born 02/20/21
4,192 Posts
A step forward today! Yeah Elroy!
Today I was feeding Elroy his lunch in a Kong. He gets to have it filled 3-4 times before its all gone. He always watches, and waits, while I fill it, and immediately begins to eat the second I set it down for him. We'll today, while I was filling it the 3rd time he quickly ran to the back door and then back to watch me fill it. I gave him a look and he ran to the door again and rang the bells with some serious intentions! I let him out, and he pee'd, then we came back in to finish lunch. I'm very impressed that peeing actually trumped lunch! As you may recall, Elroy is super food motivated and will eat until I stop feeding him. This is the 1st time I've seen him give a higher priority something else while he's (almost) eating!

·
Premium Member
Elroy: Standard Poodle, Born 02/20/21
4,192 Posts
Another proud poodle Daddy moment to report!
For the last week and a half of our walks, Elroy and I have been been working on loose leash, heel position, and sitting before stepping off the curb or sidewalk when we have to cross a road. Every time we come to where we're going to cross the road, I ask for a sit, then reward when he does. I check for traffic, and when it's safe I say "Clear" and then we cross. During this mornings walk, I was at the edge of the road and he was past the curb and on the grass (6 ft leash). We came upon a shrub hanging over the curb and into the road, and I just moved out into the street a little bit to go around it. Well Elroy had something to say about that! He SAT at the edge of the grass not stepping off the curb! It took me a second to realize that I (emphasize I) was the one making the mistake, and he viewed this as stepping off the curb into the road, and a sit was in order! I rewarded him for the sit, gave him the "clear", and on we went! Such a good boy!!
BTW he does very well at loose leash and heel position too!

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Furbaby falling asleep while brushing out poms and bracelet.

Artero brush, I really like it. It mimics a licking motion. If you've ever painted ribs with BBQ sauce it feels like that at first too.

These front poms are on 3 days of ~12 dabs of Cowboy Magic detangler and shine. I'm really trying to figure this "taking care of long hair" part.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Alfie gets RC senior kibble while Bode gets RC puppy kibble. Each wants the other's kibble, not their own. So every morning, I hand feed each dog two pieces of the other's kibble. Once they see how much the other dog likes their kibble, they gobble up their own kibble and this motivation will last through the pm feeding. It feels good to outsmart the "kids" once in a while.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.