Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But, on a shaved poodle face, should I use sunscreen? It is sunny almost everyday of the year, I want to make sure his little face is protected! Do they make special dog sunscreen or can I use like a zinc-based human one?

·
Registered
235 Posts
They actually do make dog sunscreen, my neighbor's hairless dog had to be lathered up with it every day. Baby sunscreen works pretty well too apparently. I don't know if a shaved face would need sunscreen, I guess it would depend on the color of the coat/skin and how closely they are shaved. I imagine a white poodle would have a higher chance of getting burned than a darker one. I had put sunscreen on the top of my old spoo's nose on really hot days because otherwise his nose would get dried out. I wouldn't put it on the lizard like skin of the nose, but where it connects to the muzzle, make sence?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Absolutely makes sense. He's black, so I'm going to guess it's harder to burn, but dark skin still burns. He's not super close shaved, but I will definitely put it where his nose meets the muzzle.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I've never worried about sunscreen on any poodles. Mind you, Paris doesn't go laying in the sun for hours either!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
They were just talking about some finishing sprays that contain sunscreen on the groomer forum. One was Chris Christensen's Ice On Ice. If I see the post, next time I'm there I'll let you know the other one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts