Poodle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this family sent me a recent picture of the male mini Poodle I sold to them. I know she don't like how he looks, because it looks to me she's shaming him in the pictures she takes. She tells me she loves him and he's the best dog ever..Except she thought she was buying a mini Poodle. You'll see in these 2 pictures that, I think the Poodle has dwarfism in his genes..(mother's genes.) The other 2 siblings are the same. She only had 3 puppies in her first litter.
This is the very first time I've ever seen such a thing in mini Poodles.

·
Premium Member
6,961 Posts
Hi and welcome to PF.

Yes, osteochondrodysplasia is a genetic mutation known to be present in some miniature and toy poodles. It is genetic but whether it's introduced thru another breed or is inherent to some in the breed, I don't know.

It's seen enough that DNA testing has been created, along with a whole host of other testing that really should be done before breeding, so that the poodles born are not only the healthiest they can be, but will meet the poodle breed standard.

Osteochondrodysplasia (OCD) in Miniature Poodles | Veterinary Genetics Laboratory (ucdavis.edu)

This is a larger range of DNA testing which can be done
Disease Panels
Miniature Poodle Essential Panel

Select PanelBest Price! Select this panel for only $260.00
A $320.00 value
Why add this panel?
Why are panels discounted?

Click the test name to learn more
Degenerative Myelopathy
Aliases: Canine degenerative myelopathy, DM
Osteochondrodysplasia
Aliases: Skeletal dwarfism, OCD
Progressive Retinal Atrophy, Progressive Rod-Cone Degeneration
Aliases: PRA-PRCD, PRCD
Progressive Retinal Atrophy, Rod-Cone Dysplasia 4
Aliases: PRA-rcd4
Miniature Poodle Supplemental Panel
Select PanelBest Price! Select this panel for only $150.00
A $160.00 value
Why add this panel?
Why are panels discounted?

Multidrug Resistance 1
Aliases: Ivermectin sensitivity, MDR1 gene defect, Multidrug sensitivity, MDR1
Von Willebrand Disease I
Aliases: Pseudohemophilia, Vascular hemophilia, von Willebrand disease type 1, von Willebrand's disease, VWDI
Disease Tests
Additional Disease Tests for Miniature Poodle

Chondrodystrophy (CDDY and IVDD Risk) with or without Chondrodysplasia (CDPA)
Aliases: CDDY with IVDD, CDPA, Hansen's Type I IVDD, Intervertebral Disc Disease
GM2 Gangliosidosis (Poodle Type)
Aliases: Sandhoff disease, Type 0 gangliosidosis
Hereditary Cataracts
Aliases: Early onset cataracts, Juvenile cataracts, HC, JC
Neonatal Encephalopathy with Seizures
Aliases: NEWS

Paw Print Genetics - Tests for Miniature Poodle

These are the minimum recommended tests by the Poodle Club of America and done in collaboration with the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals.
Recommended Tests | Orthopedic Foundation for Animals | Columbia, MO (ofa.org)

These tests combined give an excellent source of health information and is used to decide on which dogs should be bred, to maintain best health and to continue to meet the breed standard in the future.

Health is generally compromised in these affected poodles. A normal life may not be theirs.

·
Premium Member
6,961 Posts
This is a picture of an affected dog I saw in rescue. He'd been used as a stud in a puppy mill and, sadly, passed those genes on to who knows how many of his pups.

The expression of both dogs looks similar but I know Ajax wasn't being shamed. He does look sad, possibly in pain.

·
Premium Member
6,961 Posts
It would be a kindness to contact anyone who has one of those affected pups and be sure that they're being followed by a vet with experience in this condition.

Reactions: Liz
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.