Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
What's so wrong with it? It's not ideal but I've seen a lot worse topknots done by people claiming to be professionals. It wasn't that bad.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I'm not entirely sure why she decided to put that on youtube, but if it's her dog and she's happy w/ it, I don't see a problem. She didn't seem to pass herself off as a professional or an expert. She didn't post it on a grooming forum. It would be nice to have a critique, so we can learn, as opposed to just "don't do it that way." I found the comments on youtube catty and snobbish, but I guess she left herself open to it.

I think that is a pretty dog btw and would love to see her fully groomed in a stylish trim.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
OMG when she started doing that thing with her hands, like she was cutting kid's hair... I cringed. That's just... not at all how to do a topknot. I'm no pro groomer, and even I know that! Otherwise, it just seemed sloppy, certainly nothing to be showing off or posting it on Youtube, acting like it was a proper method. Considering the lack of a comb, fluffing, curved shears, and using a dirty dog... not to mention she was kept picking and bouncing around with the scissors... Okay so maybe it was really bad. :D I mean, for an at home groomer, she can do it however she wants, but she shouldn't have posted the video and made it look like an example to people learning how to trim a TK, it's just all wrong.

But seriously, where was her comb???

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I'm very new to grooming and far from an expert but there are a few things she was doing wrong..

the main thing I noticed was the way she was holding her shears..I was always taught to hold them out in front of me slightly angled for top knots and straight in the 12 o clock position for scissoring the body, etc...

She also seems to snip and then pull her scissors back a bit and then cut again and that can cause uneven scissoring, almost everyone does it starting out, i know i did.

I was also told to rest my thumb gently on the thumbnail in the bottom ring for control not to have it all the way in there or something but to be able to have total control of what the scissors are doing and to only use the thumb to open and close the shears, hard to explain and easier to show I think.. but im sure someone knows what i mean but i think the most important is to keep the index finger out of the ring and use it more to control the shears.

Also curved shears make a huge difference and just make it much easier..I can't imagine trying to do a topknot with straights.

I also would never want to cut on a dirty dog..for the sake of my shears and also it's difficult to get a nice even scissoring job done without a proper fluff dry.

That's just what i noticed in the short few seconds I watched...

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I rofl'd when she used the undercoat rake to brush the topknot. And I see what you mean about her holding her scissors wrong, Aiden, that's not at all how I hold mine, or how any other groomer holds theirs. Though if this is how she likes her dogs topknots to be, then so be it for her.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Too many odd things to mention lol. If shes happy with it then ok but i would never ever do a tk that way. You dont trim a dogs hair like a kids hair ha ha ha. But the end result was ok. Oh and the ears....she shaved em like it was a springer.

·
Registered
187 Posts
What's so wrong with it? It's not ideal but I've seen a lot worse topknots done by people claiming to be professionals. It wasn't that bad.
Ack!
It isn't the finished look that was so horrendous, really it was the technique. First of all, that slicker made me cringe. Where's her comb? The dog wasn't even remotely fluffed out, and she hacked at the dog rather than using any scissoring finesse. I'm not saying it's wrong to groom your own poodle or that you have to do it any particular way; I just think that if you're going to post an instructional video, you need to know what you're doing!!!

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Well, don't you think you sound a bit pretentious when you post someone's Youtube video and say this is how NOT to do a topknot? Sorry but a lot of people here ARE pet owners and not professional groomers and if they do any of those techniques because they either don't know any better or this is just what they do and are happy with the outcome, you come off as being very judgmental and snobbish even starting a thread like this but whatever.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Well, don't you think you sound a bit pretentious when you post someone's Youtube video and say this is how NOT to do a topknot? Sorry but a lot of people here ARE pet owners and not professional groomers and if they do any of those techniques because they either don't know any better or this is just what they do and are happy with the outcome, you come off as being very judgmental and snobbish even starting a thread like this but whatever.
Fair enough,

but as you said, there are a lot of pet owners on here, and when they are looking at trying to do their own grooming, having videos like this doesn't really help, and is kind of unfair to people learning to groom and they come across this

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
The dog seemed embarassed at the end :) Mine are always ooolah lah look at me ...

·
Registered
356 Posts
I think I'm going to have nightmares. LOL She would have had better results with a snap-on-comb on the clippers instead of that choppy scissoring. Definitely not my way of doing a topknot, but if she's happy with it . . . .. LOL To each their own. I just hope she's not a "real" groomer.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I was nervous she was going to snip that poor dog's ear off the entire time. She was just snip snip snipping away!

I'm no groomer (I mean... I'm just going to take a moment to turn and look at my poor poodle) but at least I didn't hack at him like that! Well... at least not with video evidence! (Nah, I didn't, but he DOES look terrible!)

I'm not a big fan of the "big brains" top knot*, I much prefer TPFKAP's mohawk. However, I also didn't buy a poodle to have a poodle and make him not look like a poodle. I found a poodle. I think that gives me a bit more leeway to mess up his hair, lol!

*what I call it when nothing else is fluffy but the top of their head

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
I have been grooming for about 38 years and I use straight scissors for everything. It is what I got used to and what I like. This lady's technique might seem a somewhat strange, but let me tell you, her finished job was a whole lot better than three grooms our Flynn got and the last few Betty-Jo and Jenny got!! Trillium and I would have been elated if their top knots had looked like this rather than what they were sent home with. And in fairness to this groomer, she didn`t have a lot to work with. The dogs face wasn`t freshly clipped, which always makes the head look better, and there was barely anything that needed to come off. I am not saying it is a great job or that she is doing it the way mlost of us would, but it isn`t awful. I have seen awful and this isn`t it.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Thats what I was thinking...the final job was not that bad. :eek:hwell:

I was told that curved scissors are amazing and mine are still caught up in the mail :bird: and I cannot wait to get them. And that GOOD groomers can use a straight scissor all over the body with no problems.

Me, I am NO groomer and truth be told - I have not seen any good grooming up close other than Suri (when I met her) and the pictures our groomers here share and they are wonderful!! :) I truly think it's harder than people think to find a good groomer. I would not touch my dogs if I could get a few of you close to me!

The video - I seen this one a while back and yep the woman is ruff around the edges but us people that are "home groomers" do it similar. I started laughing because I thought, yes that's me sitting on my living room floor clipping feet or the face lol! I do use my table more now because I am working on a grooming table.

Aidan's post was SUPER helpful by the way!

·
Registered
562 Posts
I too use straights so everything including the tk....i never really use curves. Im more comfortable with straights.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I often use straights as well, though I do prefer curveds, but i'm not all that worried.

Yes, the end result of the topknot looks fine, but I'd LOVE to get a comb through it (properly!), let the dog shake it up, and THEN see if it still looks ok! I can make a thick coat look good too, but fluff it back out properly and/or let the dog shake it all up and there's invariably a heap of sticky-outties, and that's when I use a comb to aid my scissoring anyway!!!!

It was a good giggle to watch the vid anyway. haha!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts