Poodle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My clippers will NOT stay cool. I don't get it, either. I oil them frequently whenever I'm using them (every 15 minutes or so), I use Oster Kool Lube very frequently on it, every few minutes, and I clean them after every use, oil them before I put them awabut they still get unbearably hot before I can even finish one foot! It's driving me insane. Shaving face/feet/sanitary takes me over an hour because I have to wait for the stupid clippers to cool down, when it really should only take me 30 minutes or so.

Is it my clippers? Is it the blade? What am I doing that's causing this, or what can I do to help it stay cooler longer??
I'm about to go buy a new blade; should I be looking at a brand other than the blade I have now? (Andis Ultra edge) Or do I just have to get multiple blades of the same size and switch them out every 5 minutes? :eek:hwell:

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
I don't know MUCH about clippers, but what I do know is the faster the speed, the hotter they get (generally speaking...) I've read on here that some people keep an ice cube next to their grooming table and when the clippers get hot, they put the blade on the ice to cool it down... I haven't had a problem with my clippers getting hot yet (but Lucybug's feet and face are still pretty small so it doesn't take me very long to get done) I always check the blade's temperature on my skin and they will get warm, but they've never gotten uncomfortably hot.

Do your clippers have a pretty high speed? That may contribute to them heating up so quickly.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I doubt it's a "high" speed, my clippers are only 1-speed so that's as fast or as slow as they go.
I'll try the ice cube thing next time, that sounds like it will help them cool down faster.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I have found that some brands don't heat up as quickly as others and the lower the number the longer it takes them to heat up. I don't know why that is but my 10s heat up pretty quickly so I have 3 that I use. I will spray one down and pick up another to replace it. It helps to keep things moving.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Does steel versus the ceramic blades help ??\\My Whals get super hot fast and the Laube do not get hot at all. But I must admit - I am not 100% sold on Laube........yet. My Whals do much better on the face.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Olie, I've heard the ceramics stay cooler longer, but I've heard a lot of negative stuff too. Not really sure on the specifics, but it was stuff like they break easier, are more prone to cut your dog (or something?) and are more expensive. -shrug- I'll buy a ceramic if it will work better than the steel one I have now, but I don't want to be cutting up my dog lol. I'm still not great with clipping so I don't want something that will be more dangerous than I need.
I'd love it if someone would help clarify this a little for me. :)

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
The shorter the blade the faster the blade will heat up. For example, a #40 blade will heat up REALLY fast, a #10 will heat up moderately, and you can do a whole dog with a #3 without it overheating probably. Blades with ceramic backs are said to heat up slower, but all mine are metal and the heat's never been a problem with me, I check the temperature often and cool them when they get uncomfortable for me.

When I have a shave down, I'll use multiple blades. If one of my #10s gets too hot, I'll take it off and put my other #10 on, and if both of them get too warm for some reason I'll switch to a #7 reverse. There's a few different things you can do for overheating.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I would just buy another blade of the same number and switch them out when they get hot. Place the hot blade on a ceramic tile or cement and it will cool Really fast!

·
Registered
518 Posts
My clippers will NOT stay cool. I don't get it, either. I oil them frequently whenever I'm using them (every 15 minutes or so), I use Oster Kool Lube very frequently on it, every few minutes, and I clean them after every use, oil them before I put them awabut they still get unbearably hot before I can even finish one foot! It's driving me insane. Shaving face/feet/sanitary takes me over an hour because I have to wait for the stupid clippers to cool down, when it really should only take me 30 minutes or so.

Is it my clippers? Is it the blade? What am I doing that's causing this, or what can I do to help it stay cooler longer??
I'm about to go buy a new blade; should I be looking at a brand other than the blade I have now? (Andis Ultra edge) Or do I just have to get multiple blades of the same size and switch them out every 5 minutes? :eek:hwell:
If they are oster clippers, you have to clean out the vent area. Andis clippers generally do not get hot, but the blade will heat up faster. With Andis clippers you need to loosen the tension on the blades. Tight blades will make the clipper run hotter as it has to work harder. Keep at least 2 blades on hand so you can change them frequently .

Gloria

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I'm not so sure about the clippers but the shorter the blade the faster it will start to get hot and some brands can get hotter faster then others and ceramic blades are said to stay cool longer but i've never used them.

I also wouldn't suggest using an ice cube to cool a blade down, the water might damage the blade more then help it. I'd just buy some product to keep it cool while grooming, it's available at petsmart/petco and usually disinfects as well.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright, I guess I'll go out and get a new 10 blade. Though I was hoping to try my hand at a 15, I don't think I can afford 3 new blades at this time of year. xD
I'd need a new 10 and 2 new 15s, that's too much for me haha.

·
Registered
258 Posts
What kind of clippers are they? We've used a scrap piece of marble flooring (you can get them at most hardware stores, just ask for a sample) to keep your blades on while not using them, i helps cool hot ones fast without corroding them or causing them to rust and cools the ones you havent used so they dont heat up as fast. Sounds weird but it works!!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The clippers I use are Andis AGC 1 speed clippers. I'll try the ceramic thing then. :) I've tried something similar lol, but I don't have ceramics, so I just put it under ice with a paper towel between them.
I was worried the ice might mess with the clippers too, though. Would the water damage them?

·
Registered
258 Posts
water causes rust, rust increases friction, friction increases hear therefore water is bad, try to avoid cooling sprays too, as they also dry out blades and increase the need to oil, and i don't know how i feel about ceramic blades.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
use one of those freezer block things you put in the freezer to sue in chilly bins or whatever, cover with a tea towel or something to keep it dry. Yes, water will be a problem unless you totally dry it every time...

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I don't know how relavent this is, but if you live somewhere that's very humid, that could be rusting your blades without realizing it. (Utah has almost no humidity ever, so it's not a problem here.)

·
Registered
130 Posts
my two cents: kool lube products are super chemie and bad for your blades; ceramic blades aren't worth it; ice is unnecessary, but, if you must, keep it in a plastic bag...I recommend the tile option; finally, it sounds like something's wrong with your clippers...perhaps have them checked?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Katsdogworld, thanks for the input. :)
I've only had the clippers for a few months, I would be pretty upset if there was something up with them haha.
What kind of place would I get them checked out at, should there be a problem?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yes, indeed it is possible that something's wrong after only two months...check out the warranty, most clippers you can send to the company and they will fix or replace. What you are describing is not normal. I suppose you could double check by trying a new blade, which wouldn't be a loss, as you will need to switch blades while you're working anyway, but they should last longer than a minute, especially with a 10!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts